power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: power steering

I have a 59 lark wagon with a sbc I used a chevy ps reservoir pump does anyone no is this unit is to much pressure for the Studebaker and what do I have to buy to change this lark back to maneul steering the lark steering is very quick now its sort of scary

There is an adjustable pressure reducing device available to cure these symptoms from people like Summit, Speedway Motors, etc. I would second a guess that your pressure is too high causing the twitchyness.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I have a Chevy (GM) ps reservoir pump (looks like a upside down V) on my truck with a 259 motor and a changed steering box type unknown. It works fine but it is sort of tall for the rest of the motor. I plain to change out to a Stude reservoir pump this week after modifying to a 2-groove pulley. Pictures here:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/doublep...7629095604630/ Hope this helps.

Comment

Studebaker used the GM power steering pump on the same Bendix power steering units for the 65's & 66's so I don't think the pump being a GM pump would make any difference. It may be the pulley is too small?
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

what do I have to chage to get rid of the ps

Comment

Originally posted by cutitup View Post
            Offer to trade with any one of several here who would like to add PS to their Stude. The parts interchange directly.
            the lark steering is very quick now its sort of scary
            FWIW, the Studes don't have enough caster for stability with PS. First, have your's aligned. Have the tech crank in all the positive caster the adjustment allows, then adjust for camber. Usually makes a noticeable improvement.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

PM sent. jimmijim
              Originally posted by cutitup View Post
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
              X