No announcement yet.

What do think of this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of mpgs you think I'd be pullin' with the six/three speed OD? It has hill holder which would be handy at first.

Comment

consider... tho even Stude folks were very frugal......15mpg wasn't at all unbearable compared to today. The Hawk was a heavy car for Stude...so I wouldn't expect much more than 20 mpg's out of that set up....that is if you start and stop and shift the gears.... not just highway only driving with oversized and inflated tires.....

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
        What kind of mpgs you think I'd be pullin' with the six/three speed OD? It has hill holder which would be handy at first.
        in the '40 (without overdrive), i got around 18-22mpg in mainly "city" driving. wish i could tell you what i'm getting in the '51, but i need to find a speedometer/odometer cable for her.

even with the extra weight, i'd think 20+mpg would be possible with the overdrive, properly tuned - and trying to keep the lead off your driving foot!
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
          in the '40 (without overdrive), i got around 18-22mpg in mainly "city" driving. wish i could tell you what i'm getting in the '51, but i need to find a speedometer/odometer cable for her.

even with the extra weight, i'd think 20+mpg would be possible with the overdrive, properly tuned - and trying to keep the lead off your driving foot!
          Huh that's not that much better than the V8 with a light foot is it? I spose that is 'City'' driving though which the best I'd get out of a 289 ever, so not too bad. I bet if I swapped an OHV six in there I'd get some pretty awesome MPGs but that would sooooo stupid.

Comment

i believe better mpg would have more to do with a trans with overdrive and rear end gearing than a OHV...
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
              i believe better mpg would have more to do with a trans with overdrive and rear end gearing than a OHV...
              I always thought flat heads got terrible gas mileage though?

Comment

Working...
              X