'63 Avanti Rear Drums and Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Avanti Rear Drums and Hub

Pulled both rear hubs and drums to replace wheel cylinders. On both, the hubs were separated from the drums when they came off. Everything else looked normal according to the shop manual.

I know I've read about others having to press out the hub from the drum. Is this right? Should I be concerned, or will it be ok after everything is reassembled?

Finally, since I'm this far into it, how can I tell whether the rear axle bearings should be replaced? Not looking for more work, but seems like an opportune time to bring everything up to snuff (since I'm also replacing the brake lines, installing dual m/c, changing differential fluid, etc., etc., etc....)

Thanks!

Unless the drum holes are wallowed out they should be ok once reassembled. To check the rear bearings requires pulling the brake backing plate, and washing the grease off the bearing, and inspecting bearing and races for scoring and pitting. If they look good, then repack and re-use them. Might as well replace the inner seal, and check the axle shaft end play while you are at it. Procedure is described very well in the shop manuals.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
    X