No announcement yet.

GTHawk in my near future, Wish me luck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTHawk in my near future, Wish me luck!

Well I just got off the phone with the owner of a 1963 GT hawk here in Sioux City, We're gonna meet this friday, to get a better look at things, and hopefully make a deal. I first saw this when I was six years old, and on my way to eat with my parents, I've liked Hawks ever since. I recently decided to talk to the owner and join the SDC, in the hopes of owning this car. There's a big grand sweeping picture I could paint you, but thats not what I'm here to talk about. I want some extra luck, and some good advice. Both of which I've already gotten from several forum members. I've been squirrely about posting pics before but I want some opinions and I brought some really crummy phone pics. I would love a fair midwest, hasn't ran in 23 years estimate on price.
    I'll start of with the good and the bad.
    The Good
    4 speed borg warner
    mostly complete
    drove to where its parked
    decent interior
    Not too rusty(3 good fenders, savable floors I think, good roof and upper body, good hog troughs)
    Perfect chrome all round
    full gauges
    All glass is good
    so is dash pad
    I really really like it

The Bad
    Rocker panels are shot
    Some bubbleing in the driver side rear fender
    needs trunk pan
    unsure of floors, and frame(can't get all the way under it until friday), if theres frame rot I walk.
    Sat for 23 years
    Spent 13 of those outside his shop
    front seat upholstery is shot
    Hasn't been started in, well the owner says 5, but I'm guessing more like ten years
    Manual drum brakes
    manual steering
    Brake pedal wont move, think we figured that out though
    No keys
    standard radio
    kind of all around low options
    Here are some pics........Finally

Hood isn't bent its just up!!

it says 85,185

Well there you go. With how of quality those pics they really don't tell you much so please read my pros and cons, about it. Tell me what you think its worth and share any advice you would give. And most of all......Wish me luck!!
    Last edited by GThawkwind; 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM. Reason: better pic viewing

Obviously, worth a look if you want that model. Appears to be a pretty straight car if the repaint isn't hiding anything.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The '63-64 GTs are in my top five favorite Studes. However, be aware good ones sell for less than what it will cost to bring that one back.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Good luck! You're in for a wild ride, but when you're done, that car will be a lot of fun. Now, throw her on a flatbed and bring her to the Orphan car show later this month

Jack Vines is right, the restoration will cost a lot more than that car would currently bring for sale. That being said, people walk onto new car lots every day and spend far more on a new car than what they could ever hope to recoup. Besides the depreciation from just driving it off the lot, you also have the loan interest and premium insurance that you might not otherwise get. You could probably go almost as far "upside down" in a brand new car as restoring this, and unlike the new car this one will have character and create memories. Plus, saving her means one more back on the road for the future. And the biggest benefit to this over a new car is that you pay as you go here, and if you don't spend $400 on parts this month, nobody's going to come repo it! I'm a huge fan of restoring a car in this sort of shape.

Let us know how it goes. One of these days I'll have to come see this car in person. It's full of potential, that's for sure!
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Nice!! Looks almost exactly the same as what I'm dragging home later this month!! Same color inside and out!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Nice!! Looks almost exactly the same as what I'm dragging home later this month!! Same color inside and out!

Craig
            Could you share a price guess, based on your experiences this month?

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
              Could you share a price guess, based on your experiences this month?
              Probably two to three times the cost of yours to restore. This one will be a full blown (no pun intended) restoration. I posted the build sheet in this other thread:

Craig

Comment

No I mean what its worth based on pics and provided info?

Comment

Since you're wanting a price. Considering you don't have to have it shipped and it is a 4-speed, if you don't mind having a project on your hands. I would say $1500 to $2000. In my opinion (not that you asked) you would be money ahead to buy one in driver condition. GT Hawks are always available on ebay.

Joe

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                  No I mean what its worth based on pics and provided info?
                  Last edited by irish; 05-06-2013, 09:52 PM.
                  sigpic

1962 Daytona
                  1964 Cruiser
                  And a few others

Comment

Whatever you pay for it, consider the purchase price a small down payment.

If you do your own work, figure on about 250 labor hours and $5000 more, before you can drive it safely and reliably as a rolling project (brakes, exhaust, suspension, engine, tranny, rear end, undercarriage & frame repairs, engine accessory repair/rebuild, lights & other electrical components, etc.).

Figure on another $2500+ to cover about 1000 necessary "little things" (switches, guages, knobs, locks, latches, cables, handles, window seals & regulators, wiring, lubricants, dash components, etc.).

Then figure what your wallet will support in terms of making it look nice, inside and out. Phantom interior will be around $3000, but also figure on miscellaneous supplies (glues, paints, small metal repairs, etc.). A paint job can be anywhere from $1000 to $10,000, depending on rust repair/sheet metal replacement, and quality of paint materials).

Not trying to discourage you, but most folks simply have no idea what is involved, in terms of time, money, and mechanical savvy, when resurrecting an old Stude, particularly a Hawk. Also, your age may be a factor, since the above will also require about 2000 labor hours total, which most working people require a few years to come up with, a little at a time.
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 05-07-2013, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Planning cost for GT Hawk restoration can vary considerably depending on what result is expected. Having restored 9 Studebakers (from 1954 to 1963 models) and one Nova since retirement, the starting estimates can be divided into three areas: body/frame, mechanical, interior; each of which can be "reasonably" estimated at $6000 each which, invariably, results in a final cost beyond what a GT, in number 2 condition, will sell for. And even then an 18K estimate is based on many "uncompensated" labor hours, which, in my case, can not be found in mechanical cost area, since it almost always requires professional labor rate cost. So if one wants to make money on a restoration, do a Chevy, not a GT, but then you will miss out on one of America's best classic car. Ken Deltaville, Va

Comment

I am a firm believer in buying the best car you can to start with. In 5 Craigs List minutes I found these on the West Coast. I am sure there are others around the country. Consider what it would cost to bring the car you are looking at up to the condition that these various cars are in. In most cases you are money ahead to buy a car like one of these, after careful inspection of course. Even when considering the cost of shipping, $1200-2000 depending on how you transport it, you still would be money ahead and be able to enjoy driving it much sooner. Of course, if doing the work and reviving one is the enjoyment you seek, then you would have less of that with one of these. A lot also depends on your skill set, having a place to work and the equipment to do it.

Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

My plan isn't too restore, merely to get drivable, even if thats in most basic way. Something kind of like (just based on what I've read) What Matt B. did with his 58', Make a rough driver out of it, just to have my fun, then little by little making it a proper driver, and then eventually a truly nice car. I want to get it running, shifting and stopping. I know I'd be way money ahead in the long run to buy a nice driver for 5-6k, and if he wont take a reasonable offer I'll keep my money and do just that. It looks worse than it is in the pics, in person it's solid car that's dirty, and has random surface rust, from being left out in the sun. Before I make an offer I want to give it a good inspection and make sure it really is solid, and not total waste of my time.

Comment

It doesn't appear to be too bad of a car, but does need attention in all areas. If you are interested in taking this on for the sake of doing it, I wouldn't go over $2000. If you want a Hawk to enjoy, buy a #3-#4 car, for not a lot more money, and enjoy it.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              It doesn't appear to be too bad of a car, but does need attention in all areas. If you are interested in taking this on for the sake of doing it, I wouldn't go over $2000. If you want a Hawk to enjoy, buy a #3-#4 car, for not a lot more money, and enjoy it.
                              I would re-adjust that figure to $2500 (maybe even 3K if its good underneath) because it is a 4-speed. One doesn't find those everyday, and they are more fun to drive.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X