No announcement yet.

2 barrel vs. 4 barrel carburetor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chevy 260-283 is a small block and the Stude 259 is a wedge.
    ??????? Don't have a referent for this differentiation.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

[QUOTE=gordr;

Second-guessing the rules a bit, but I wonder if the "functional choke" rule isn't mostly about ensuring that no competitor remove the choke butterfly altogether, for a few CFM more airflow, or blocks the heat riser ports to the heads and circulates ice-water through the crossover passage?[/QUOTE]

gordr: Interesting side point on the choke butterfly. On the '51 one time I decided to remove the butterfly figuring it couldn't hurt and might help the elapsed time and speed some. It actually slowed the car down. I thought something else had to be wrong but after trying to find a problem with no luck I put the butterfly back in and it came right back to its normal et and speed.

I thought maybe it had leaned it out so I put it back in and richened the carb but same results. Only thing I could figure was the butterfly helped direct the boost into the carb.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
        Jack, now that R series gasket has possibilities ))) and I think Gord is right about sandbaggers who might try to bend some more rules, too. I'm trying to do it the honest way. Don't wanna beat the next guy in line, but I really want to see what the hottest stock Stude in '55 would do. I'll leave the 331 non TT set up as I don't think I'll be doing a burnout. I've come close to reading 100 MPH on the 4 lane without shaking her apart....and I have to drive it there, 400 miles. Getting back may be a problem (lol).
        Dave, I think you are making a big mistake about no TT and the 3.31 gears. The track is normally SLICK especially for street tires. I'm thinking your right rear tire is going to be spinning all the way through low and this is an ET killer. You will probably have to come off the line real easy and gradually get on it. Look us up if you need anything or help with anything. But don't worry about it if the car doesn't perform up to your hopes and expectations. First time there may be a lot of little problems pop up. Main thing is to enjoy all the neat cars and new friends you meet whether the car flys or is a brick.

Ted

Ted

Comment

I'm thinking your right rear tire is going to be spinning all the way through low and this is an ET killer.

IIRC, this is an automatic 259" and that helps cushion the torque versus dropping the clutch, so you may be OK.

The downside to trying to race with a clutch peg-leg is wheel hop. Stiffer shocks will help control it, but when the clutch is dropped, the spring wraps up, loses traction, unwraps, causing the right rear wheel to literally hop off the pavement and can break a tapered axle.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            IIRC, this is an automatic 259" and that helps cushion the torque versus dropping the clutch, so you may be OK.

The downside to trying to race with a clutch peg-leg is wheel hop. Stiffer shocks will help control it, but when the clutch is dropped, the spring wraps up, loses traction, unwraps, causing the right rear wheel to literally hop off the pavement and can break a tapered axle.

jack vines
            I have not read all the posts on this so didn't know it was an automatic. That will help a bunch on wheel hop and will not start the tire spinning as much as a stick would. If hop is a problem the rules do allow the springs to have clamps on them that will help some also.

Ted

Comment

Thank you, both. Spring clamps are in the plan. I enjoyed watching Ted and everybody going down the track, and watching every car, although the Studes are special. No disappointments and I am driving it there. I have some fat Cokers on there and they don't seem to break loose too easily, but if I get some more power to the wheels, that might happen. I have a few months to experiment. No "legal" tracks within 150 miles of me, but I've helped alot of policemen over the years and they seem to cut me some slack (lol). I appreciate all the advice and would certainly welcome assistance in September (airplane fuel?).
              Last edited by warrlaw1; 05-09-2013, 07:21 AM.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I think you will find that on that hot, gummy rubber coated Track, you will have no trouble breaking them loose or at least chirping them in Low gear on the DG trans.

The biggest gain can be gotten from Race Gas or Aviation Fuel when you have some Compression to need it, like 10.25 to 1 vs your 7.5-8.5 to one stock compression. I think Premium is the most you should need, but it won't hurt to try.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Rich. Just talked to Phil Harris about the R series intake manifold gaskets. He has a set and they partially block the crossover on one side but leave the hole for the heat riser tube to the carb so the choke will function. Sounds legal to me. Lots of testing to do once 4 bbl installed and I'll try to post pictures along the way. Don't want to hijack Mike's thread for this, but it sure was nice to see the benefits of 4 bbl kinstall before I get into it. In Canada I use Shell premium, exclusively. They advertise it as 0% ethanol. Car ran good on premium I bought in the U.S. on the way to South Bend and back. Once the 4 bbl is in, I'll put on Turner disc brakes on the front before I start goofing around with hole shots. Rules say "no custom paint jobs or lettering allowed", so I have to take off my little advertising decal or cover it with black electrical tape before tech. Thinking I better bring along a "chase car" and buddy driver in case I need I ride back home Cheers.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Several vendors at SB had the R series intake gaskets, in two different materials: stainless steel, and fiber coated steel mesh. Looking at each pair, the gasket for one side looked identical to regular OEM; the other side had the rectangular, exhaust crossover closed off, except for a hole about the size of a dime in the center. I could not see where this would do anything except slow warm up by a a couple of minutes. If both sides were closed off, except for a dime sized hole in each, that would slow warm up down maybe a few more minutes. Even with both sides closed off completely, as I had tried, it still eventually warms up, but takes 15-20 minutes.

Bottom line, unless you are only concerned with 1/4 mile at a time, I see very little benefit from the R series gaskets in a driven Stude.

Comment

In earlier times AirLift decals appeared on many drag cars. I think AirLifts were actually even installed sometimes,for their ability to preload the right rear wheel that otherwise "gets light" when a non IRS car accelerates.
                      Figure 5 here -
                      1963 Chevrolet Corvette engineering, development, styling and technical notes.

Even today they offer a product that is marketed to serve that specific purpose.

Comment

Working...
                      X