No announcement yet.

Best way to tell if motor is stuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Best way to tell if motor is stuck?

OK I'm planning on looking at a stude next week or so, but before I pull the trigger I want to make sure the motor isn't stuck. What are the best ways to check, it's a 4 speed car with 289. I've heard of using a breaker bar, but not sure how this works, it would have to something I could without any disasembly in the place where it's sitting. I'd be happy to just use a breaker bar to check, could someone explain how to get it on the front of the motor? Thank's in advance, Danny.

Normally you would put a 1 1/2" socket on the crankshaft bolt, but since it will have a metal locking tab bend around it that would be hard to do without bending it out of the way. Next thing to try would be to take a large screwdriver and sticking it in the hole in the bottom of the bell housing and turning it with the flywheel teeth. This would entail jacking the car up though.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

GT -

Yea...don't be "pulling any triggers"...liable to put holes in things you don't want holes in...

Anyway, yes, but the breaker bar needs to have a socket on one end to be able to turn the crankshaft/damper fastener head. Sorry, I don't recall right off hand the socket size is. Someone will chime in here with a size.

Another way is to just turn the fan...if it's got a belt on it..! Push on the long side of the belt and turn the fan. If everything is properly loose, the crank will turn by doing this. It's the way I turn the crank to adjust the valves...simple and effective.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
        GT -

Yea...don't be "pulling any triggers"...liable to put holes in things you don't want holes in...

Anyway, yes, but the breaker bar needs to have a socket on one end to be able to turn the crankshaft/damper fastener head. Sorry, I don't recall right off hand the socket size is. Someone will chime in here with a size.

Another way is to just turn the fan...if it's got a belt on it..! Push on the long side of the belt and turn the fan. If everything is properly loose, the crank will turn by doing this. It's the way I turn the crank to adjust the valves...simple and effective.

Mike
        I thought of that, I'll have my brother with me and he's got the those beefy ham sized forearms, so I figured he'd be able to turn it by the fan, which way would you turn it then?

Comment

I would use a battery jumper pack and turn the key. If it is stuck, it won't turn. If it turns over, you may have less money in your wallet by mid afternoon.
          If it is stuck, you won't break anything. If it isn't, just don't crank it too long without oil pressure.

And remember, a stuck 289 is not necessarily a deal breaker; it puts you in control of the negotiation. Heck! It might even be something you could hope for.
          Last edited by rockne10; 05-03-2013, 06:27 PM.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            I would use a battery jumper pack and turn the key. If it is stuck, it won't turn. If it turns over, you may have less money in your wallet by mid afternoon.
            If it is stuck, you won't break anything. If it isn't, just don't crank it too long without oil pressure.

And remember, a stuck 289 is not necessarily a deal breaker; it puts you in control of the negotiation. Heck! It might even be something you could hope for.
            I would love to do that, but there are no keys....... Something I plan on mentioning while figuring out price. Is there any easy way around this? how hard would swapping ignitions right there be? is there a way to get it turning if there's no ignition?

Comment

Old school hot wire. positive wire to the positive side of the coil and positive from the battery to the solenoid. skip the coil if You just want to see if the motor will turn. Jumping the coil will make a complete circuit just as You would if You had a key!
              Patrick Sammon

Comment

Put it in 4th gear and rock the car back and forward. Watch the fan blade. It will move if the engine is not stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                  Put it in 4th gear and rock the car back and forward. Watch the fan blade. It will move if the engine is not stuck.
                  You get the prize Jim ! I was wondering if anyone was gonna suggest that, most simple method

Comment

Bring a battery and as many old Chevy Stude and Chrysler keys you can find. One of them will most likely fit. I've got a key on my key ring, which will open about 80% of all Stude trunks I've tried it on. Its great when car shopping. I've had the fortune of opening trunks for folks who have lost the keys. I even bought a car once without opening the trunk first to find a 4 speed transmission with shifter, gages and other assorted ebay ready items. You just never know.
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                      Brakes are stuck, otherwise that would work pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                        Bring a battery and as many old Chevy Stude and Chrysler keys you can find. One of them will most likely fit. I've got a key on my key ring, which will open about 80% of all Stude trunks I've tried it on. Its great when car shopping. I've had the fortune of opening trunks for folks who have lost the keys. I even bought a car once without opening the trunk first to find a 4 speed transmission with shifter, gages and other assorted ebay ready items. You just never know.
                        Can I get a copy of that key? sure beat crawling into the trunk through the back seat!

Comment

Sorry but that only works on the cheaper 4 tumbler Yale trunk and glove box locks, it would take hundreds or more (5 Cut) Ignition Keys to find one to turn a 5 Tumbler Stude. Ignition Switch lock.

Make sure the Trans. is in Neutral and just touch a wire from the (+) Batt. Terminal to the small Term. on the Solenoid marked "S" and the Starter will turn.

Or, push on the Fan Belt and turn the Fan Clockwise from the front.

I have a Can full of those Trunk Keys and I can usually try about 4 or less before opening a Trunk Lock, but with at least a hundred Ign./Door Keys, I have never found a match.

The locks for my Keys are out there somewhere, but I fear they are part of a new Kia that was made from a '70's Toyota that was made from a '57 Studebaker!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 05-03-2013, 11:48 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

rocking in 4th works if there is a fan clutch too. Only need to roll the car back and forward a few inches

Comment

Turn it by the fan and belt method-CLOCKWISE when looking at it from the front. I'd take a good battery and jumper cables though.Easy enough to hot wire at the solenoid.
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X