Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake pedal won't depress, at all, GT Hawk??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 62 GT currently has barely working brakes. I need to nearly stand on the brake pedal to make it do anything. That's what it was like when I bought it. I don't know really what the problem is right now. It has a power booster, but it was plumbed out of the equation already when I bought it. I just figured that with everything as uncared for as it was on my car, I'd need new "everything" for the brakes. So I have new lines, flex lines, wheel cylinders and master cylinder ready to put on. I've decided on a rebuild with Rebuilders Enterprises, Inc in suburban Chicago for the hydrovac. They use a neoprene diaphragm instead of the traditional leather. (Wow, those Hydrovac's are heavier than I would have imagined. Shipping won't be cheap!) The shoes and drums will be good enough for a while.

Paul
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Lack of PS/PB should drive down the value quite a bit, right? I'm not scared of it though, Gary, I already thought of that too, 1300 vs 500, that is at least nice. I want to work on making it handle really nice eventually, so a jim turner conversion is probably in the cards, that or that four wheel mustang brake setup. BTW hers a body tag for you It's 63-K6 261, I'll PM you with some more pics if you want. I warn there really crappy cell phone pics.

Comment

Thanks. I don't need more pictures. From the body tag we now know that you are talking about an early 1963 Hawk. The 4 speed streamer is still on it.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yep, it's a no nonsense car with options, but I beleive it has a fm/am radio, and the rear speaker weird huh. I'm guesing based on the manual drum brakes, there just frozen from sitting like with most cars that sat. So dumb question but while were talkin' brakes, how in the sam hell do you release that E brake?, I don't see a pull handle for?

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
            Yep, it's a no nonsense car with options, but I beleive it has a fm/am radio, and the rear speaker weird huh. I'm guesing based on the manual drum brakes, there just frozen from sitting like with most cars that sat. So dumb question but while were talkin' brakes, how in the sam hell do you release that E brake?, I don't see a pull handle for?
            If it has an AM/FM radio, it was put in later as that Hawk is too early for a factory AM/FM. If it is a Studebaker AM/FM, factor in about $500 on the price.

Yes, the parking brake has a pull handle (or should have). About a 90 degree turn releases it. If the handle is missing, look for a shaft that used to have a handle sticking out from under the dash.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Here's a pic of the radio, which is it?

Comment

Here's a pic of the radio, which is it? ]
                Appears to be a regular issue push button AM radio.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Only slightly OT, but there are two reasons so many are complaining about high pedal pressure on standard drum brake Studes:

1. We've gotten old, fat, lazy and all cars have power disc brakes these days.

2. Because all cars have front disc brakes these days, most of the commonly available drum brake linings are the very hard non-asbestos materials to match up with the power front disc brakes. Back when asbestos linings were still available, the standard drum brakes stopped well and didn't require unusual effort.

If buying relined shoes or having brake work done, be sure everyone involved knows the linings are for a non-power, non-front-disc application. One shop I dealt with used "fork-lift material."

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack, that is an option I never thought about, REAL Linings may still be out there if you look in the right place.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The GT Hawk you have is starting to sound like my Daytona. Yeah it's a desirable vehicle, without a doubt, but it's a very basic, bread and butter, base model vehicle. My Daytona(the one that's gonna get all of the Commander's R2 innards) was a V8, but had no PS, PB, and was just a regular old Flightomatic column shift and AM radio.
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Hey while I have some smart attention, Did all 63 gt hawks have TT in a dana 44 ?

Comment

Hill Side Brake, Tacoma Wa. been in business for yrs&yrs, relined brakes for my 1945 m15a a few yrs. back does good work Mac.

Comment

Hey while I have some smart attention, Did all 63 gt hawks have TT in a dana 44 ?
                            Do you remember a few discussions we have had about just about ALL things being OPTIONAL on most '50's and 60's cars, and especially Studes?
                            Can you say OPTION?
                            Just messing with ya!

The 289 equipped Cars DID come with a Dana 44, the TT was optional, optional Axle Ratios over "Standard" were usually a no cost option.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              Do you remember a few discussions we have had about just about ALL things being OPTIONAL on most '50's and 60's cars, and especially Studes?
                              Can you say OPTION?
                              Just messing with ya!

The 289 equipped Cars DID come with a Dana 44, the TT was optional, optional Axle Ratios over "Standard" were usually a no cost option.
                              How do I tell if it's got TT or not then?

Comment

Unless you can slide under the back of the car & see the rear end (and the tags saying its a twin traction) you'll have to jack the car getting the rear wheels both off the ground. Then by spinning one rear wheel observe the opposite side. If it goes in the opposite direction its a standard open rear but if both rear wheels turn in the same direction its a "Twin Traction" rear. Another way to tell is by removing the gear oil plug on the rear cover. If you can insert a finger & bend it 90 degrees its a standard rear but if the rear gears wont let you do that its a :Twin Traction" rear.
                                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                                64 Zip Van
                                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                                X