Thread: 1934-35 Studebaker National Products promotional models

President Member

1934-35 Studebaker National Products promotional models

35 miniatures 150dpi.jpg004 (2).jpg
    Studebaker made its presence known in a BIG way at the Chicago World’s Fair in the early 30’s. They had built a huge plaster replica of the 1934 President Land Cruiser that was large enough to accommodate 80 people who could (for free) enter and watch Studebaker promotional films on the big screen. Outside the car/theater was an assemblage of normal sized cars that were available for examination (all painted canary yellow).
    Off to one side was a series of tables with representatives selling small die cast promotional cars and trucks that were being cast on the spot. The cars were identical to the big Land Cruiser. These were available for purchase for the princely sum of .25c each. Available in an assortment of colors each came with a specially designed box. Later when the new ’34 Year Ahead models were introduced the big car, as well as the small miniatures, were modified to show the new design as well. So successful was this promotion that the company offered to send these out to dealers so they could use them as they saw fit for promotional purposes. All of the ’34 models had an imprint on the rear section “Replica of the Giant World’s Fair Studebaker.” Later 1935 versions were imprinted with the inscription “Studebaker” or “Studebaker Miracle Ride,” a reference to the new planar suspension.
    The first photo above appeared in the April 17. 1935 issue of the dealer newspaper The Studebaker News. It illustrates the various models available to dealers that year. The smaller car is the ’35 Land Cruiser whereas the larger car is a ’35 President Cruising sedan. The large one is extremely rare easily bringing four figures if found in good shape.
    I believe Studebaker was the first to offer die cast models for promotional purposes though I have seen some iron toys with the Chevrolet name on them.
    I just happened to have one of each on my kitchen table recently and thought I would try to replicate the scene from the 1935 News. The smaller car is my original ’34 LC, the larger car is a restored original and the truck is an older reproduction done by Sam Miller back in the early ‘80s. The latter two belong to Bob Schmidt of Joliet, Illinois.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

They have certainly increased in price over the years...
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

I have one of the small "slush" cast Studebakers in rough shape, does anybody know where I could find tires for it? It could be one restoration project I might be able to afford... and complete!

President Member
    34 land cruiser worlds fair copy.jpg
    Here is a copy of an original post card showing the "Year Ahead" 1934 Land Cruiser at the Chicago Worlds Fair.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

President Member
    These guys make them for the various National Products Stude Promos

http://www.thomastoysinc.com/
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1950 Commander Starlight
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

President Member Bordeaux Daytona's Avatar
    For wheels.......I found this in another post since I couldn't remember his name but he usually hangs around with Tom Karkiewicz by his bus in South Bend.
    He makes very nice resin copies of the Studebaker promos. I bought a few from him. He might make the wheels too.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired View Post
    Check with Eugene Zarembka, "EZ TOYS". email EZTOYS02@YAHOO.COM
    That big 35 is really cool!
    I have one of those S.C. Miller truck cabs. He did some neat stuff and probably started the whole resin casting industry.
    I also have a couple of the 34 cars.
    I just bought a beat up 34 off ebay with a chunk missing out of the back. It came with a couple of resin copies of the back to repair it and it needs wheels. It also came with a rubber Sieberling 35 Ford that also needs wheels so those links you guys provided might come in handy. It only came out to some like 11-12 bucks with shipping so I thought why not.

Slightly hijacking the thread, if anyone needs tires for their Dinky/Corgi or similar Studebaker toys, o-rings work really well.