Air cleaner on Sixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Air cleaner on Sixes

It's been over 40 years since I had a Studebaker, or paid attention much to the engine compartment, but when I looked at the air cleaner on my Lark, it struck me that there wasn't a horn around the opening on the air cleaner. There is a slight flare, but did they put an airhorn on any of the Studebaker six engine air cleaners, and if not, why not?

I know there are autos that don't have the air horn on their air cleaner. On the other hand, my VW Beetles DID have air horns on their air cleaners, so there must be a practical use to these extensions or their deletion.

Second part, and this was after scrolling across a thread on the HAMB forum about someone asking how to install a Ram Air system in their V8 whatever. One of the aftermarket air scoop systems exited the grille next to the headlights.
    Has anyone with a Stude with the front air systems fabricated a homemade ram air duct into their air cleaner? Six or Eight.

the later year six cyl. did not have a horn at least the ones I have removed, and do still have a few.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Do you mean the "flair" at the opening ?
      Thinking back, my original (?) air cleaner on my V-8 had a flair at the opening.
      The oil bath cleaners on the 6's in my Conestoga's use the whole perimiter to pull in air, then it travels down, then up, then down again. Air hornes won't help much in this case. Most all closed canister type paper filter assemblies have some amoung of flair.
      I know I have two of the factory Cadillac/Buick/etc. twin opening air cleaners, the ones that are mistakenly called "batwing" aircleaners. Anyway, one has a nice smooth roll to the opening, the other has none.

As far as the "ram air"...sure, seen many over the years in all makes of cars. One step shy of a scoop on the hood..! I'm trying to figure out the best way to add something like this to my two Conestogas. Obviously only one headlight per side, but the opening below the bumper is huge per what the radiator actually needs...so that may be a place on that body style.

The early Larks have the twin openings beside the head lights. I was going to cut into the heater side (sorry passenger!) to provide some cool air that way...just never seemed to have the time to get to it.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
        Do you mean the "flair" at the opening ?
        Thinking back, my original (?) air cleaner on my V-8 had a flair at the opening.
        The oil bath cleaners on the 6's in my Conestoga's use the whole perimiter to pull in air, then it travels down, then up, then down again. Air hornes won't help much in this case. Most all closed canister type paper filter assemblies have some amoung of flair.
        I know I have two of the factory Cadillac/Buick/etc. twin opening air cleaners, the ones that are mistakenly called "batwing" aircleaners. Anyway, one has a nice smooth roll to the opening, the other has none.

As far as the "ram air"...sure, seen many over the years in all makes of cars. One step shy of a scoop on the hood..! I'm trying to figure out the best way to add something like this to my two Conestogas. Obviously only one headlight per side, but the opening below the bumper is huge per what the radiator actually needs...so that may be a place on that body style.

The early Larks have the twin openings beside the head lights. I was going to cut into the heater side (sorry passenger!) to provide some cool air that way...just never seemed to have the time to get to it.

Mike
        Maybe I should have said snorkel instead? A semi cylindrical extension from the standard circular air cleaner assembly.
        My air cleaner is just the circular container around the air filter, with an opening in the air cleaner container, but there isn't a snorkel protruding out. I'm just used to seeing a snorkel on an air cleaner.

I know later models of autos, had valves in the snorkel to assist in cold/warm air intake in the air cleaner. I don't expect anything so sophisticated in a 1960 engine, but looking at it, with the opening just THERE on the perimeter of the air cleaner just looks incomplete. Personal perception.

I have see the oil bath air cleaners with the perimeter opening.

I'm glad to hear that my impression of ducting air from the Lark air vents into the air cleaner might actually do something! Just something I thought about when I was looking in there....

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
          the later year six cyl. did not have a horn at least the ones I have removed, and do still have a few.
          Thank you. I don't have any desire to add one if it wasn't there originally, it was just a visual that caught my eye and made me wonder.

Comment

PART of the Air Cleaner Technology MAY be about the location of the air intake, the V-8 Carbs. are in the Center of the Engine. In order to draw the air from the fan air flow on the right side outboard area of the engine compartment you need a snorkel.

Sixes are already located in the Fan air stream having their Carb. on the right side.

The more expensive 6 Cyl. models had closed case "silencer" cans around the element, cheaper ones like Scotsman and Trucks had none, just open and drawing in all the dirt, Oil and water directly into the Element like the new accessory parts store Edelbrock 4 barrel and other useless Chinese imports do.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good point about the position of the carburetor. I think that answers my questions as to why or why not.
              It still looks odd to me, but at least I have a reason for the different appearance!

Comment

on my 62' wagon (last from Reno NV), the OHV 6 had an oil bath cleaner. I always thought these to be superior to the paper element filter....anybody want it cheap ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                  /Cut/As far as the "ram air"...sure, seen many over the years in all makes of cars. One step shy of a scoop on the hood..! I'm trying to figure out the best way to add something like this to my two Conestogas. Obviously only one headlight per side, but the opening below the bumper is huge per what the radiator actually needs...so that may be a place on that body style.Mike
                  Mike, have you thought about using the Air Scoop Studebaker had in all '53-54 Coupes and Sedan/Wagons to Cool the 6 Cyl. Fuel Pump?
                  It is a square opening that draws Air from the Grille and directs it at the Front, R/H side where the Fuel Pump would be on a Six.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X