No announcement yet.

What ever happened to the chickenhawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever happened to the chickenhawk?

I like all stude nuts know the tragedy that befell our little world May 2009, but what happened to it after that, did he scrap it, did he bury it, are any atempts being made to clone or rebuild it, is it sitting in the corner of his shop as a glorious relic he can't let go of? And what's up with Ted, did he recover all right, As far as I know he still races other studes I want to know more about this car, and its legend.

Ted was extremely fortunate that the fellow who built his roll cage did such an excellent job.
    As for Ted himself, he is still drag racing and contributing to the Studebaker Community.

Bob Palma would be a good person to ask.
    Last edited by avantilover; 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM. Reason: BP provided information
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Dan, if you use the forum search feature, you'll find out everything you want to know in many previous threads after the accident.

The damaged car is tucked away in one of Ted's storage buildings at home. He knew the car was too badly damaged to consider rebuilding (and it is; I've seen it up close several times), so he removed some good parts and sent a few souvenirs along to close friends.

I was honored to receive the car's original speedometer:

Ted is in excellent health today and, in fact, was drag-racing his 1963 Lark Custom 2-door, The Stude Tomato, the day before yesterday at Indianapolis Raceway Park.

This picture of Ted, left, was taken a little over a year ago here in Brownsburg at a local race-themed eatery where they display the poster of Ted and The Chicken Hawk...or did. They have since remodeled and put it in storage for awhile.

With Ted is SDCer John Kern, Chief Wrench and Head Mechanical Counsel for his father Chuck's Avanti at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race:

Ted will turn 78 years of age in less than a month: May 7, 2013, to be exact. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm glad it isn't just scrapped, I saw the photos, and I didn't see one straight peice of metal on her. He was 74 when that happened, man he's tough. Oh and I tried the forum search, I couldn't find anything that explained what he did with the car, infact I could barely find anything at all, I have alot of trouble with the forum search.

Comment

Here's a link to a similar thread I started last year:

Some answers can be found there.
          ~Matt Connor
          '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Ted was gracious enough to give me a signed copy of that poster at the PSMCDRs. Most non-Stude car guys I meet don't know squat about Studes, but they all remember the Chicken Hawk. Speaks volumes about Ted and the respect he earned for the marque.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Wow I was not aware of what happened to the Chicken Hawk.. I havent been in the game for a while. Im actually shocked to read about this. Its really sad to know such a legendary car was destroyed, but thankfully Ted is ok and still racing.
              I also read somewhere that a 9 second turbo 289 powered GT Hawk was also destroyed in a drag race accident? I heard the car had dipped into the 9s (going where no Stude had gone before) before it was destroyed. Anyone have information on this car?

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                I'm glad it isn't just scrapped, I saw the photos, and I didn't see one straight peice of metal on her. He was 74 when that happened, man he's tough. Oh and I tried the forum search, I couldn't find anything that explained what he did with the car, infact I could barely find anything at all, I have alot of trouble with the forum search.

Dan, I know you are rather new to Studebaker's and the forum and doing a fine job trying to catch up with us older people and if you ever get the chance to go to the PSMCR in Sept. you should go out of your way to see them nothing but the best of really nice cars and all for fun, Ted is one tough bird and a better guy you will not meet but at his age he will not be racing forever and is well worth the trip to see him and other Studebaker people race our cars the (Studebaker's). I have made the trip twice from California just to be there with him and all the others that make their way there in Sept. South Bend is not to far from you either and a trip there in May would be something you would remember for along time .
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

We've got a chunk of it screwed to the transmission hump of the Salt-2-Salt car!

Last edited by BobWaitz; 04-16-2013, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    Dan, I know you are rather new to Studebaker's and the forum and doing a fine job trying to catch up with us older people and if you ever get the chance to go to the PSMCR in Sept. you should go out of your way to see them nothing but the best of really nice cars and all for fun, Ted is one tough bird and a better guy you will not meet but at his age he will not be racing forever and is well worth the trip to see him and other Studebaker people race our cars the (Studebaker's). I have made the trip twice from California just to be there with him and all the others that make their way there in Sept. South Bend is not to far from you either and a trip there in May would be something you would remember for along time .
                    Hey hopefully I'll have a stude to drive down there next May, would be a fun roadtrip in some vintage iron. Where are the PSMCR's anyway?

Comment

Races are in Stanton, Mich. Mid-Michigan Motorplex. I googled it for directions my first time. Like Bob says, it's all for fun and you get to see some vintage factory iron being driven the way the warranty says not to.
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Someone needs to have a scooter or golf cart for Ted. Two years ago he had to run pretty fast to get between the Tomato & the Wrapper as the heats were pretty tight. Anyone 70+ shouldn't have to run, toting his helmet and seat cushion for a hundred plus yards just to be able to race again.

Comment

Good idea, when I used to go to the PSMCD he would use my electric scooter sometimes to get to the front car and I would move the back car along. I don't have the scooter anymore.
                          sigpic
                          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I have the gas pedal from the CH. It is my intention to combine it with an autographed copy of the TW featuring the car, and a copy of the custom portrait I presented to Ted, and donate it at some point to an SDC fundraising effort.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                            X