39 coupe express progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    That looks really nice. I have been planning to use my Dad's old Sears unit but its a lot more bulky than this.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I'm getting some suggestions that putting in a mb diesel engine will hurt resale possibilities..... I really loath the idea of putting in a chebby v8.

See link for latest progress and pics. Michael is cutting out the front edge of the roof and will weld in the front edge from the parts roof section Bob gave me along with the CE.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
        That looks really nice. I have been planning to use my Dad's old Sears unit but its a lot more bulky than this.
        Does anybody happen to have one of these they're not using? I am interested in buying one.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
          Does anybody happen to have one of these they're not using? I am interested in buying one.
          Today I officially gave up on my previous plan and bought a vintage air unit for heating and cooling. very similar to Jeff's setup.

I talked to Michael today. He has the radiator hoses hooked up, the hood and front fenders aligned and mounted the doors hung and the running boards straightened.
          (He made a few mods to the air cleaner housing so it will fit inside the hood.)

I may go up early tomorrow. I need pictures!

Comment

Too bad... Speedway Motors has a Trimline...
            You give up too easy....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That's pretty much what I bought....its a vintique air....got it from summit off ebay for 343 or so.

I am pretty stoked up after today's visit to see the truck! The body work is all back on it now with very good shutlines on the doors and hood. The only thing needing repair now is the sills/rockers. We discussed location of battery, dash configuration, tail light location, exhaust location and headlight configuration. I am planning to use the original 39 headlights and add driving lights on the bumper brackets. I have some turn signal lights from a bugeye sprite which I believe we will mount under the headlights.

I am leaning toward black on the body but am considering two toning it with black fenders and some other color on the upper body.

Its sitting on its own wheels now with the front riding at least two inches too high because of too stiff springs. When sitting correctly the front will be down a bit but not as much as Jeff's yellow bandit. I think I'll be redoing all the chrome too. Jeff, I have the bumpers on it now and they look fine. Thanks buddy!

Pretty exciting stuff.

Anybody have a nice instrument cluster for one of these? None of the solutions I am looking at now really seems right.

I took my camera but found the battery dead....drat!

Comment

Wooo hooooo! I just love honest people! I ran a lost ad in Craigs list up in the Minneapolis area and this morning a trucker called me. He has my

That is a link to the thread over on the mercedes forum. There are pictures.

My latest thinking is about colors for paint, since he is nearly ready to paint it.

Comment

The black looks good to me too.

Comment

Good! Its a good color and the original color for the truck.

Comment

Today I am working on headlights. I found some NOS lenses and two very nice trim rings. I have a spare set that is NOS or very near it I can sell if anybody has a need. I think I will get the reflectors replated (is the original finish nickel?) and install some high power bulbs and go on down the road.

Comment

I thought I had those little odd shaped closure pieces that cover the hole left between the running board, cab, fender and bed....but I cannot find them so now I am not sure I ever had them. Does anybody have a couple for a 38/39 they are not using? and would sell?

Comment

Post an WTB add on the swap page.

Comment

Thanks very much!

Now how do I get there please?

Tom

Comment

Here

Its a fantastic place to find cheap parts, if you haven't ever checked it out. It's a good place to put WTB ads too as alot of non forum goers use it.

Comment

I am looking at my instrument panel today and it looks like I will be trying to use the original one. I found a fellow who will fix my temp guage and give it back with a fitting on the engine end that will fit my mb motor.

Comment

Working...
                                X