No announcement yet.

39 coupe express progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found this thread, like everyone else I'd like to see pics too.

Is that engine a front sump engine, does it fit behind the fatman cross member, is that why firewall needs relieving?

Comment

I have been putting off learning how to post pics.

I'll provide a link to my thread over on the Mercedesforum.

I have been daydreaming about one of these lovelies. They are built on the passenger car frame with the same doghouse. It has one of the most graceful

The engine like all of them of that era Mercedes is a drastically forward sump. The crossmember from fatman sits pretty low so we notched the front of the pan back to near the pickup which is not feasible to relocate. This cuts about 1.5 quarts out of the pan capacity so we are going to add an inch on the bottom of the pan to get the capacity back.

I am pretty stoked about how its all going. We are using as many of the Mercedes parts as possible such as accelerator pedal and stock linkage, pedal cluster including the booster, engine tranny and shifter as well. Its all stuff I am very familiar with and one nice thing about running an old Mercedes, the parts are always available no matter how old it is.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Just skimmed the other thread.
        looked like you were going to go Stude power for a while.
        What kind of power does the MB engine make?

Comment

about 120 hp and 190 ft lb of torque. It gave pretty decent performance (for a diesel) in the 1983 mb wagon it came out of. I suspect in the CE it might be a little lighter so it should be quick enough for me and capable of towing a small trailer.

Comment

I received a lovely Arvin heater yesterday with art deco lines. It has a horseshoe shaped core and a fan with three speeds and three little doors to open and close for controlling the heat. It looks like I'll need a separate valve to control the hot water flow though. It appears the CE was set up with a cable control for the hot water so I'll have to look through the parts I got from Bob and see if one is in there.

Comment

The truck is on its wheels and looks pretty decent. It may be a little high in front so we'll have to see. The pedals had to be bent to the right to get close enough to the accel pedal. The accel pedal is binding now so will require some adjustment, possible moving the floor pivot closer to the lever. The shifter looks and feels perfect along with the wheel. The driveshaft is attached to the ford diff. A corvair ujoint base was welded directly onto the Mercedes DS. The Mercedes fuel tank is installed and it looks as if we may be able to graft the filler neck from the studie tank right onto it the intake for the tank being in such a similar location. Next is attaching the front clip and radiator. I think I'm gonna go with a smooth rf fender instead of installing the too high spare there.

Its getting close to being drivable again.

There is a new batch of pictures posted over on the linked thread.

I am hoping to get the bumpers from Deepinhock up here from Reedsville this weekend!

Comment

Looks great so far!
                I almost went in for Lasik surgery looking at your pic's
                Jeff
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My camera had somehow gotten the automatic focus turned off. I did not (knowingly at least) do that.

Sorry!

Comment

I drove down to Noblesville tonight and picked up the bumpers I am buying from Jeff for my 39 at Jim Turners house. I got to also look at his 52 ragtop....and look at his shop. I really like his ragtop and shop. I also spied a supercharger that he is pondering putting on the ragtop!

Thanks Jim and Jeff!

This Studebaker world is small and very family like!

Comment

Yesterday I went down to the shop and checked progress. They are finishing up all the chassis welding. Yesterday Steve was welding the axle perches onto the axle tube. I took a fender without the tire well down yesterday. I am going to run without the spare in the fender. It looks like it will block too much vision and hurt fuel economy plus I like the sleek look without it. Next is to install the front bodywork, radiator etc.

Comment

Tom,
                        Pretty sure that is the style heater that was put in the Yellow POS..
                        I mounted mine right in the center of the trans hump.
                        Built a new sheet metal mount that doubled as the mount and a duct for the defroster hoses.
                        Cut the 'through the firewall' water tubes and put tight 90 degree heater hoses that had a control up inside behind the glove box.
                        Put a 12v to 6v reducer in for the fan motor.
                        It all works great in that small cab.
                        I have about a dozenteen pic's at home on a separate hard drive.
                        Will try to remember to send them to you when I get back home.
                        Jeff

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                        I received a lovely Arvin heater yesterday with art deco lines. It has a horseshoe shaped core and a fan with three speeds and three little doors to open and close for controlling the heat. It looks like I'll need a separate valve to control the hot water flow though. It appears the CE was set up with a cable control for the hot water so I'll have to look through the parts I got from Bob and see if one is in there.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          Tom,
                          Pretty sure that is the style heater that was put in the Yellow POS..
                          I mounted mine right in the center of the trans hump.
                          Built a new sheet metal mount that doubled as the mount and a duct for the defroster hoses.
                          Cut the 'through the firewall' water tubes and put tight 90 degree heater hoses that had a control up inside behind the glove box.
                          Put a 12v to 6v reducer in for the fan motor.
                          It all works great in that small cab.
                          I have about a dozenteen pic's at home on a separate hard drive.
                          Will try to remember to send them to you when I get back home.
                          Jeff
                          What did you do about AC?

Comment

I have a 1939 2 door Studebaker Champion that i am selling , where on the frame did you find the chassis # .
                            thanks cdavid13

Comment

Mine is basically a Slimline unit trimmed to fit....

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                              What did you do about AC?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by cdavid13 View Post
                                I have a 1939 2 door Studebaker Champion that i am selling , where on the frame did you find the chassis # .
                                thanks cdavid13
                                We had the frame on its side and found the numbers on the bottom of the frame mid theigh under the drivers seat. It took some sanding as the numbers are not very deeply impressed.

Comment

Working...
                                X