The 'Doctor's Car'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Doctor's Car'

My '55 President Speedster was special ordered by a Doctor from Newburyport, Massachusetts in late '55. It was built on 9/27/55, which apparently was in the last week of production for the '55 models. The doctor liked all black cars I guess! (And who can blame Him?)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SN-60; 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM.

"The 'Doctor's Car'"; an alternate TARDIS. I think there were very few ordered in single tone black. A GEM!
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ed,I like the look of no upper front trim peices as much as I like seeing them.did'nt notice that the first time I saw these pics,but you mentioned it a few days ago.that is a very classy example for sure,Doctor was better off with this than some Caddy or buick.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

That's gorgeous!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Was it ordered with the skirts?
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

beautiful car. I like the side skirts...

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              "The 'Doctor's Car'"; an alternate TARDIS. I think there were very few ordered in single tone black. A GEM!
              Don't be silly the Doctors car was bessie, the little yellow buggy

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                I'd say so, Brad: Only 13 1955 Speedsters were painted solid black, per Dick Quinn's tally in the September 1998 Turning Wheels. An additional 7 cars have special colors or the color not recorded, so I suppose one or more of them might have been solid black, 'though unlikely.

Too, all the black cars were built in South Bend; none of the Vernon [Los Angeles] assembled cars were solid black. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I will admit, I was half expecting a Dr. Who reference, but this turned out to be pretty stellar. The Doctor had good taste! I think the all black makes it look classy.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

The chrome pieces look very nice on black paint. Very nice car.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      My '55 President Speedster was special ordered by a Doctor in late '55. It was built on 9/27/55, which apparently was in the last week of production for the '55 models. The doctor liked all black cars I guess! (And who can blame Him?)
                      Does it appear larger on the inside than it does on the outside?
                      sigpic
                      55 President Deluxe
                      64 Commander
                      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

The guy that I was working for in 1955 bought a new 1955 President hardtop in all black. He could have bought a Speedster, he owned a fuel oil company and a theatre, but he didn't want all of the bling. It was the first car that I went over 100 MPH in. That was fast in 1955. My 1949 Mercury coupe, with modifications, topped out at about 98 MPH.
                        My 1955 Speedster was tri color (Neopolitan ice cream). Now it is solid balck.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments folks! This car probably wouldn't be around now hadn't the engine 'blown' back in 1965. Apparently the doctor (I had His name but I lost it) drove this car very hard for ten years. The engine let go at about 130K, and after that He sold the car to it's second owner, who stored it, as is, in Brighton, Mass. till 1990. Then it was sold to the Gent I bought it from, so I guess I'm the fourth owner. I bought the car with three 259 engines. One had a wiped out crank...that one was the original, and is now rebuilt and back in service. (I installed a GH supercharger system on it (it's stick O/D) in 1996.)
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by SN-60; 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Looks like it has also lost it's GT Hawk Head light rims
                            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                              Looks like it has also lost it's GT Hawk Head light rims
                              The GT Hawk headlamp rims come and go........as of right now they're gone!

Comment

Working...
                              X