The 'Doctor's Car'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
    I believe, Installing supercharger systems on Stude V8s under the stock C & K hoods is something that's been continuously attempted for almost as long as these vehicles have existed! Examples that are as sucsessfully well executed as yours, are extremely far and few between. It makes perfect sense that the earlier setup would be taller. That's why Studebaker used the Golden Hawk specific hood and overlay in '57 & '58 and not on the later R2 powered Hawks. However, I have never had both the opportunity and the capacity to get measurements of any useful accuracy.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is very curious about any specific details of your particular installation, you'd be willing to share? How much machining was done to any of the specific components that would affect the overall height? Are all the mounts and brackets as they were when it was originally produced? How does the horsepower and torque output compair to that of the same setup on the Golden Hawks? Wow, it's also got the 3 speed OD, that's just how I'd want it! I'm sorry, if I'm asking the same questions you've probably already answered thousands of times. I do remember seeing it at one of the international meets in South Bend the last time I was there.

I personally prefer the look of the correct headlight rims.

Thanks for posting the PIX!

Mark
    Thanks for your positive comments Mark, (and yes, the original headlight rims are back on the car!)

As to the installation of a '57-'58 Golden Hawk supercharger system on a '53-'55 Studebaker coupe or hardtop model, it's true that there's 'no way' the hood will close over this setup without adding a 'scoop' to it.........

I definitely didn't want to do that....so here's what I did...........two things really,...the first one is very easy,...just swap out the regular V8 front motor mounts for the 'Avanti R3' style...you'll gain 1/2" hood clearance right away.

The second thing isn't so easy, ...I lifted the body off of the frame about 3/4", and kept it there by 'shimming', tapering the body shims down towards the rear of the car (Kind of like what Nate Altman did to get an Avanti hood to shut over the Chevy V8 engine)

By taking these two steps I gained about 1 1/4" of hood clearance, and with the hood itself adjusted up a bit higher than normal, it shuts with room to spare!

I'm sure the 289 CI Golden Hawk engine has more power and torque than the 259 CI engine in 'The Doctor's Car', however, I do love the way the shorter stroke Speedster engine 'winds out' while being force fed by the McCulloch supercharger....Ed
    Last edited by SN-60; 09-10-2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
      the supercharger bracket on this car appears to be 57 58 style as it has the 4 bolt thermostat outlet
      Exactly, the entire system is 'stock' '57-'58, with no mods to the mounting brackets, etc.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by SN-60; 08-30-2016, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        Thanks for your positive comments Mark, (and yes, the original headlight rims are back on the car!)

As to the installation of a '57-'58 Golden Hawk supercharger system on a '53-'55 Studebaker coupe or hardtop model, it's true that there's 'no way' the hood will close over this setup without adding a 'scoop' to it.........

I definitely didn't want to do that....so here's what I did...........Two things really,...The first one is very easy,...just swap out the regular V8 front motor mounts for the 'Avanti R3' style...you'll gain 1/2" hood clearance right away.

The second thing isn't so easy, ...I lifted the body off of the frame about 3/4", and kept it there by 'shimming', tapering the body shims down towards the rear of the car (Kind of like what Nate Altman did to get an Avanti hood to shut over the Chevy V8 engine)

By taking these two steps I gained about 1 1/4" of hood clearance, and with the hood itself adjusted up a bit higher than normal, it shuts with room to spare!

I'm sure the 289 CI Golden Hawk engine has more power and torque than the 259 CI engine in 'The Doctor's Car', however, I do love the way the shorter stroke Speedster engine 'winds out' while being force fed by the McCulloch supercharger....Ed

Forgot to mention that the stock '53-'55 C/K fan shroud needs to be trimmed back about 2 3/4" (I modified a spare shroud which I had)....Also, a '62-'64 GT Hawk style fan spacer, NOT the stock '57 Golden Hawk fan spacer, must be used!

Comment

I imagine you also must of used the '57 - '58 boost gauge in your dash? I'd love to see a good shot of that, if you've got one you could post?

Mark
          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
            I imagine you also must of used the '57 - '58 boost gauge in your dash? I'd love to see a good shot of that, if you've got one you could post?

Mark
            Mark, I'd love to add the '57-'58 Golden Hawk vacuum/boost gauge to the dash of this car...actually, the '55 Speedster dash ALMOST has room for it centered between the factory gauges....but the bottom line is there isn't quite enough room for it...the install just wouldn't work.

I do have a couple of those boost gauges, and thought about mounting one under the dash 'sixties style', but that really isn't me! Take care, Ed

Comment

What beautiful weather we had today for our annual OCEAN BAY CHAPTER 'OCTOBERFEST'.....and I was pleasantly surprised when 'The Doctor's Car' took first in the C/K division!

.....I've learned over the years that laying down on the ground kicking my feet while holding my breath before the awards presentation REALLY PAYS OFF!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Folks always get a 'big kick' out of 'The Doctor's Car'!
                Attached Files

Comment

One thing others fail to take into account, the McCulloch supercharger is longer than the SN-60 and later Paxtons. Therefore, in mounting it sticks further forwards and hits the hood at the front edge of the case.
                  The hood cutout on the Golden Hawks really just clears this point. That is why later R2 Hawks did not need any clearance blister.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

What beautiful weather we had today for our annual OCEAN BAY CHAPTER 'OCTOBERFEST'.....and I was pleasantly surprised when 'The Doctor's Car' took first in the C/K division!
                    Was that Division just your '55 and Dennis' '57? If so, I guess that it was a modified Division.

I went to that meet several times. It is a nice location. The meet wasn't in the Sept. TW "What's Happening". It was in the Oct. TW that I received on Oct. 11. It might help your turn out if you had advance notice in TW.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Here's a couple more shots of my Speedster at Sunday's show.........I installed a new exhaust system on her last week, (after 26 years!), including a pair of Thrush mufflers...I think it sounds GREAT!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        Was that Division just your '55 and Dennis' '57? If so, I guess that it was a modified Division.

I went to that meet several times. It is a nice location. The meet wasn't in the Sept. TW "What's Happening". It was in the Oct. TW that I received on Oct. 11. It might help your turn out if you had advance notice in TW.
                        More advance notice is always good Gary....but I thought that the turnout was pretty good anyway!.....The trophies are for 'peoples choice' and 'The Doctor's Car' was in the '53-'64 C/K class.

Comment

On other threads we've discussed the pros & cons of using lacquer exterior paint.......Check out the 'deep' shine on the left & right fender tops of 'The Doctor's Car',....This LACQUER paint job was applied TWENTY-SIX years ago!!!!!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Got a new (2017) Massachusetts State Inspection sticker on 'The Doctor's Car' this morning!.....Unfortunately, now its time to put her to bed for the winter!

Comment

The 'Doctor's Car' in its new home for the winter.....very cozy!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

The 'Doctor's Car' in its new home for the winter.....very cozy!!
                                I was at a friend's place earlier today, and his Avanti was beneath a nice car cover, inside a heated garage, with floating charger on the battery. Nice as that Avanti is, cannot say as I blame him. Looks like the, "Doctor's Car" gets the same royal treatment

Comment

Working...
                                X