1963 R2 Lark "The Whistler"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob,

Sorry for misstating your age at the time..

But Happy Early Birthday .. By the way.. mine is Feb 10th! The great Jimmy Durante and I share the same day, but he was born in 1893!

I for one am glad you decided to haul your good memories around and the vast discussions with guys like Tanner and Mendenhall..

I for one have been privileged to have received some of your correspondence with even Studebaker themselves. Telling Studebaker that offering a better selection of gear ratios would help them be more competitive at the tracks.. I was not like that at 17..

My 13 year old son, on the other hand is like that as well. He communicates with Video game makers telling them what he thinks is "cool" .

Unlike the leadership at Studebaker, they actually have take some of his suggestions.

Studebaker shut their eyes that there was an up and coming WAVE of "Muscle" cars coming and that they had a head start! I wonder if they ever kick themselves realizing that Bob Palma, a kid down the street in Indiana, was pointing it out to them!

I will let the members digest that picture of the "The Whistler" above a bit , because there is more to come

The following picture is not "The Whistler", but this kind of shows that people raced Studebakes off the floor just like Corvettes and the up and coming Mustangs and Cameros..

"The Whistler" was not a "would of - could of" thing. It and this car "Was" that thing!

Popping the hood for inspection is what I'm guessing.. But notice that li'old 60 next to it with its race paint on..

I blew up the door area so you could see it came from San Bernardino CA and was "Powered by Avanit"

Last edited by SScopelli; 07-27-2017, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
      I blew up the door area so you could see it came from San Bernardino CA and was "Powered by Avanit"
      When my father and uncle were drag racing a '51 Starlight back in the late '60s/early '70s, they put those emblems below the vent doors. Dad said it got a lot of comments - even if they were only running a 232...

Comment

Bob,

Sorry for misstating your age at the time..

But Happy Early Birthday .. By the way.. mine is Feb 10th! The great Jimmy Durante and I share the same day, but he was born in 1893!

I for one am glad you decided to haul your good memories around and the vast discussions with guys like Tanner and Mendenhall..

I for one have been privileged to have received some of your correspondence with even Studebaker themselves. Telling Studebaker that offering a better selection of gear ratios would help them be more competitive at the tracks.. I was not like that at 17..

My 13 year old son, on the other hand is like that as well. He communicates with Video game makers telling them what he thinks is "cool" .

Unlike the leadership at Studebaker, they actually have take some of his suggestions.

Studebaker shut their eyes that there was an up and coming WAVE of "Muscle" cars coming and that they had a head start! I wonder if they ever kick themselves realizing that Bob Palma, a kid down the street in Indiana, was pointing it out to them!

I will let the members digest that picture of the "The Whistler" above a bit , because there is more to come

The following picture is not "The Whistler", but this kind of shows that people raced Studebakes off the floor just like Corvettes and the up and coming Mustangs and Cameros..

"The Whistler" was not a "would of - could of" thing. It and this car "Was" that thing!

Popping the hood for inspection is what I'm guessing.. But notice that li'old 60 next to it with its race paint on..

Different car:http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...468#post261468

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 02-07-2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Please keep the photos and information coming! When I first saw the photo of the car Bob P. provided for an old issue of Jet Thrust News, I was hooked. This is onf of my favorite threads, but then again, I may be biased, as I own a factory R2 F-body '63, which came out of Arizona!
          Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
          \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
            Please keep the photos and information coming! When I first saw the photo of the car Bob P. provided for an old issue of Jet Thrust News, I was hooked. This is onf of my favorite threads, but then again, I may be biased, as I own a factory R2 F-body '63, which came out of Arizona!
            And we are all looking forward to the day when it will look at great as yours! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=rose+2r2

Craig

Comment

That we are, Craig; that we are.... BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

"I" Stock Formula 7 was the class I ran my Parkview and Dad's '64 Daytona in, it's the class that a 259 2 Brl. fits into. That is what is on the windshield of the '60 Lark next to Gordon William's '63 Lark Standard.
                A Chrysler Hemi was in my class and I blew him off of the track,
                it was a 250 something cid Hemi 6!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just wanted to thank Bob Palma for the start of great story so many years ago. And my friends Mike and Sabation for posting the present story of the Whistler and others for there great replays. The car brings me great joy as you will see in post to come. It's moving up the list of projects to be done. Thanks John Kroulik.

Comment

You're welcome, John. Thanks for checking in.

The detailed photos you were kind enough to show me in Colorado Springs last summer verified that the car represents what would be an immediate parts car, and not many parts at that, if it wasn't historically significant. Thank goodness you guys were one [baby] step in front of the crusher, with your eyes open.

We're all waiting with baited breath (whatever that means; I've never figured it out) to watch the car be reborn. Please keep us posted. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hmmmm....'just thought of something here that will likely send Craig Parslow scrambling for his forum research tool box.

This Whistler thread is about to tip over 4,000 hits. We have several topics like Studebakers in Roadside Americana and Studebaker Dealerships and such that have many more hits than this topic will ever have, but do we have any other thread about one specific car that has had so many, or more, hits?

Tentatively, I don't think so. This may be a record.

Craig Parslow, Unofficial SDC Forum Archivist, what say you? BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        We're all waiting with baited breath (whatever that means; I've never figured it out) BP
                        I couldn't pass this one up since it came from BP.
                        It's bated -- not baited, and it means to hold the breath.
                        Ya gotta enjoy what you can find sometimes as the opportunities are few.
                        sigpic
                        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                          I was going to let Bob P's item slip as I have been doing on many items on the Forum because by some I am seen as too critical. I have been trying to limit myself to Studebaker/SDC related corrections.
                          I believe that bated, as used here, doesn't mean to hold your breath, but rather very anxiously wait (somewhat similar). I agree with the main point that the word is bated, not baited.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            Hmmmm....'just thought of something here that will likely send Craig Parslow scrambling for his forum research tool box.

This Whistler thread is about to tip over 4,000 hits.
                            If you seen my post yesterday, I put a little tag there..

3,685.. Wow.
                            That was how many hit there were prior to me posting the new photos..

I think John is waiting to see how this project will come out before he lets me near The Whistler
                            Before

After

4,038, really wow!
                            Last edited by SScopelli; 07-27-2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by studejohn View Post
                              Just wanted to thank Bob Palma for the start of great story so many years ago. And my friends Mike and Sabation for posting the present story of the Whistler and others for there great replays. The car brings me great joy as you will see in post to come. It's moving up the list of projects to be done. Thanks John Kroulik.
                              John is right. If it wasn't for Bob Palma's original post, most of us wouldn't have known about "The Whistler". But with todays technology, even out in the middle of the desert, John was able to pull up Bob's original post and see photos of "The Whistler" in it's glory days. It was reminiscent of the movie "Back to the Future" when Marty McFly's time was slipping away and his photo started to fade. But here was John looking at a clear photo and the same car but faded just a little from the Arizona sun. Not too often that one steps into that moment in time when history and the present meet.
                              Mike Lynch
                              Sunnyslope, AZ

"Be kind and civil. Allow that you may be mistaken; allow that others will make mistakes, be gracious. If you're going to contribute, try to make it worthwhile."
                              Alan Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                                Great, Lark; thanks. Honestly, I never knew that.
                                'Off to the dictionary... BP

Comment

Working...
                                X