1963 R2 Lark "The Whistler"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undercoating, Sort of.

With all the original undercoating gone, it seems fitting to coat the bottom with some sort of protective coating.

A good choice is bed liner. It is a dense coating that can be tinted to match close to the body color.

Durable enough and will stay sealed to the metal, unlike asphalt coatings where moisture can get under it and cause hidden rust.

Comment

• Did you shoot that Blue Bed Liner with some kind of a Gun or what?
      Looks very good, just like the Original floors of my '54 Starliner with the Factory Tar undercoating painted Body Color.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• Yes you us a gun that is supplied in the with the kit . Real easy to us and should be good well after my ownership of the car and others down the road. Tuff stuff . The color is close to the original but not and exact color will shot over any areas that show with blue mist factory color shade.

Comment

• I restored a 1972 MGB - used 3M's Shutz - it sprayed on with a special attachment - and I painted it body color. It has held up VERY WELL to about 15,000 miles of driving. When I do another car - I will use the same stuff.

Bottom of the MGB has the same "look" as this stuff. And wears like iron.

The Whistler is looking GREAT - I am amazed as to what you are finding for the entire project!

Drew

Comment

• Bed liner FYI

First off, Never use this rattle can stuff, unless you are doing a craigslist special paint job..
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343001047.909740.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1717020

Most name brand auto paint stores carry "Tintable" Bed liner of really good quality. Two part system with the liner and the hardening catalyst. Ask for it by that name of "Tintable" bed liner.

Name:	38199.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1717021

The next thing to ask for is the "Tint." If you ever seen in a home depot they guy grabs a can of white paint and adds the tint to it.
            You don't want this as paint as it will take way from the bed liner formula.

The Tint is just color. If you left it uncovered for days, it will not harden.

You can ask them to get you the tint in the same ratio as the color you intend on painting the car with. The bed liner I use needs 10% tint to be close to the body color. It might be suggested as well to buy the body paint from the same place.. If you really want it to match.

From the picture above, the gun is pretty crude. Control the volume by the line pressure and the splatter patter by screwing in or out the nozzle.

Also the black bottles in this kit are the paint cup. No need to worry about cleaning up the paint cup, just mix tint, catalyst, shake like crazy, attach gun, and apply.

Have a good dose of lacquer thinner near by for when the material runs out and you can do a quick clean of the siphon tube and nozzle. This stuff will harden quickly.

Most of the time, its just you who is going to know that it looks as nice on the bottom as the top, but occasionally you get a person at a car show looking underneath and they will be in for a surprise for sure..

Comment

• Color MATCHING Bed Liner Material.

That is VERY good Info to know Sebastian, thank you very much.

There is no reason to do it Wrong, when it is just as easy to do it RIGHT!
              Maybe only a weeks worth of Starbucks more $.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• Nice to see this project taking shape! The 3M Cavity Wax sounds like good stuff, thanks for the info.

Comment

• Originally posted by az64stude View Post
                  Nice to see this project taking shape! The 3M Cavity Wax sounds like good stuff, thanks for the info.
                  ?

When was this mentioned ?
                  South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

• I had talked to John about WAXOYL off blog and he mentioned a product by 3M that he had used and was going to use called 3M Cavity Wax on the Whistler. Well one thing led to another and now I wanted to thank him and what better way than here. It's kind of like the bed liner that John & Sebastian are using as well. Thanks again John for the great tips on body, and frame protection. As always great blogging, and the pictures are great.

Comment

• Stopped by and visited John on Tuesday to see the progress... What a labor of love! The bedliner/undercoat looks great and he's getting close to spraying some Blue Mist paint on the interior. Lots and lots of hours but know the car is worth it!
                      Mike Lynch
                      Sunnyslope, AZ

"Be kind and civil. Allow that you may be mistaken; allow that others will make mistakes, be gracious. If you're going to contribute, try to make it worthwhile."
                      Alan Taylor

Comment

• Originally posted by asesolen View Post
                        Stopped by and visited John on Tuesday to see the progress... What a labor of love! The bedliner/undercoat looks great and he's getting close to spraying some Blue Mist paint on the interior. Lots and lots of hours but know the car is worth it!

I've posted this pic in another thread.

Removing the tail light on another blue mist car, the left side is the original, and the right side is the new paint.

John had them make a slight adjustment to the formula by going with a finer Poly. The current formula uses a lot of course poly.

This color is pretty much dead on! The paint is PPG, so excellent spray and coverage quality.

The floors were finished in bed liner..

The door jams and non visible panels sprayed as well.

Trunk with bed liner and paint.

Last edited by SScopelli; 12-14-2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Let's back track to post #242 the Photo of 2 guys with zip lock bags in hand is the Exchange of title and tags. It turns out that when I had Patty Naugal run some car serial numbers through DMV The Whistler number came back as a registered up to date car in there databank oh boy what to do now. They would not release any information on who it was registered to. After a week or two I ask a lawyer friend or I should say he ask me if I had any luck with it I said no then he ask me for the serial number call back in less then 20 minutes Bingo had a name and address but no phone number? So I got to asking around if any one knew of this gentlemen ? Turns out to be a regular customer down at Chucks sales yes lucky me. A deal was made tag and title for tag and title nothing more . So this car that it was on was at a estate sale about a year or so before Chuck past away. Chuck mike and I stop to look over the inventory most had been sold the tag was on a 63 2 door Sedan. I look at it at the sale and even noticed the tag been screwed on but never gave it a Second look so any ways I just keep knocking the barriers down or mysteries. John
                          Last edited by studejohn; 12-14-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• That is just a better than GREAT job you are doing John, you are to be commended for a Job well done in the Studebaker Tradition: "Always GIVE more than you promise".

Thank you for saving the VERY Best and most desirable of Chuck Naugal's Collection!

Name:	The whistler2 .jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1717561 I think if I were you, I would at least "consider" Craig P's suggestion in Post 104 and 244 about the Markings, maybe just have Decals made, not to be absolutely permanent.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 12-14-2017, 03:40 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• 'Just gorgeous, John; you da' man! BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Bob just said it all! It is a wonderful job you are doing.
                                Joe Roberts
                                '61 R1 Champ
                                '65 Cruiser
                                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                                X