No announcement yet.

1963 R2 Lark "The Whistler"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one remaining Whistler mystery is ascertaining the relationship between Studejohn (John Kroulik), SScopelli (Sebastian Scopellite), and asesolen (Mike Lynch).

They've all had their fingers inThe Whistler pie, but darned if I can 'figger out who's on first. (At least I think Studejohn is the legal owner and the car is in his possession...well, for the time being, that is...) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Hmmmm....'just thought of something here that will likely send Craig Parslow scrambling for his forum research tool box.

This Whistler thread is about to tip over 4,000 hits. We have several topics like Studebakers in Roadside Americana and Studebaker Dealerships and such that have many more hits than this topic will ever have, but do we have any other thread about one specific car that has had so many, or more, hits?

Tentatively, I don't think so. This may be a record.

Craig Parslow, Unofficial SDC Forum Archivist, what say you? BP
      Well, I can think of a couple right off the top of my head......

My '60 Marshal thread is around 5300 hits so far and my '62 Lark project topped 9000.
      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

This Whistler thread is about to tip over 4,000 hits. We have several topics like Studebakers in Roadside Americana and Studebaker Dealerships and such that have many more hits than this topic will ever have, but do we have any other thread about one specific car that has had so many, or more, hits?

Tentatively, I don't think so. This may be a record.
        Bob, I have no doubt in my mind you are correct, at least within the time frame. But as others have stated the '60 Marshal has more as the thread for it has been running for almost six years. And there are other posts here on the Forum where the Whistler is at least mentioned once: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=tanner

Of course, it took its discovery to keep a thread alive on it.

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 02-04-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
          Well, I can think of a couple right off the top of my head......

My '60 Marshal thread is around 5300 hits so far and my '62 Lark project topped 9000.
          It will be most interesting to see how many viewers this thread gets after six years; especially if restoration starts on it and he keeps us as well informed as you have with your '60 Marshal. Of course, by then, viewers of your post will no doubt double by then.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            It will be most interesting to see how many viewers this thread gets after six years; especially if restoration starts on it and he keeps us as well informed as you have with your '60 Marshal. Of course, by then, viewers of your post will no doubt double by then.

Craig
            I make sure to read all the Whistler posts, so I'll keep adding to the views!

Should mention though, that my 'New Member' thread turned into 'The Marshal' thread the same day it was posted, so to be accurate we need to add another 4000+ to the Marshal's total........
            Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

I have just about over looked a big part of this story. That is the man that stored The Whistler all these years. Not knowing he was storing such car in his flock of Studebakers. The one and only Chuck Naugle he has been a big part of the discovery, if it wasn't for him there would be no story to read, as we are reading now. More on Chuck and The Whistler to come. John Kroulik

Comment

Originally posted by studejohn View Post
                I have just about over looked a big part of this story. That is the man that stored The Whistler all these years. Not knowing he was storing such car in his flock of Studebakers. The one and only Chuck Naugle he has been a big part of the discovery, if it wasn't for him there would be no story to read, as we are reading now. More on Chuck and The Whistler to come. John Kroulik
                I sure hope you with your "as found" photos and BP with his 1963 photos and correspondence can get together and do a story for Turning Wheels. And Muscle Car Review has a nice column titled 'Rare Finds' expressly for discoveries like this one. This would be VERY fitting, considering the January MCR was outstanding for performance Studebaker coverage.

Craig

Comment

Great, John; 'looking forward to it. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    I sure hope you with your "as found" photos and BP with his 1963 photos and correspondence can get together and do a story for Turning Wheels. And Muscle Car Review has a nice column titled 'Rare Finds' expressly for discoveries like this one. This would be VERY fitting, considering the January MCR was outstanding for performance Studebaker coverage. Craig
                    Right on, Craig!

I think we'll get Tom Shaw on that detail later this year, to kind of spread out the Studebaker exposure. BP

Comment

The one remaining Whistler mystery is ascertaining the relationship between Studejohn (John Kroulik), SScopelli (Sebastian Scopellite), and asesolen (Mike Lynch).

They've all had their fingers inThe Whistler pie, but darned if I can 'figger out who's on first. (At least I think Studejohn is the legal owner and the car is in his possession...well, for the time being, that is...) BP
                      Bob, You are right. John Kroulik is the owner. And I've just been fortunate to be able to tag along on his Studebaker Adventures.

John and I have been friends for several years, we even call our wives Lucy and Ethel for all the trouble they can create. Anyway, when I was transferred to work in Tucson for a while, John drove down from Phoenix and we made a visit to the Studebaker legend, Chuck Naugle. It was a great time listening to Chuck's stories, getting to see 40 acres of Studebakers and his multi-car garage full of Studebakers, toys, trinkets, memorabilia etc etc. The best day of show and tell ever! After that, there were many times I would leave work in the afternoon and go visit Chuck. We would sit in his garage till after dark looking out at his huge collection of Studebakers surrounded by the beautiful high desert and share stories while Chuck sipped on his beverage of choice, Throwback Pepsi. Chuck has an unbelievable number of tales to tell. It would be nice to know how miles he put on that famous truck "Earl"; always loaded down with Studebakers and Studebaker parts. I enjoyed this for several more months before transferring back to Phoenix.

Since then John, Sebastian, myself and others have made frequent trips to visit Chuck. We always make sure to bring one of Chuck's favorite meals, which always include the farm boy's favorite green beans and plenty of Throwback Pepsi. It's always a great day of hearing new stories and wandering about this Studebaker holyland. It was on one of those trips that John set out in search an R series sedan. But he will have to tell the rest of that story.

One last thing I'll add. Many of you on the forum have seen the quality of work that Sebastian has completed on his Lark convertible but it was quite impressive to see him salvage a wiring harness from a Lark and adapt it to Chuck's '61 One Ton (an original 9 ft bed), known as "Sherman T". Great job Sebastian! Are you a brain surgeon, or a rocket scientist???
                      Mike Lynch
                      Sunnyslope, AZ

"Be kind and civil. Allow that you may be mistaken; allow that others will make mistakes, be gracious. If you're going to contribute, try to make it worthwhile."
                      Alan Taylor

Comment

Thanks, Mike.

Now where and when did "Seb" enter the picture? (Your report was kind of like reading a novel and all of a sudden, a new character appears with no explanation!) BP

Comment

Thanks, Mike.

Now where and when did "Seb" enter the picture? (Your report was kind of like reading a novel and all of a sudden, a new character appears with no explanation!) BP
                          I met John around 2010, right before the National Meet in Phoenix through Dave T-Bow in MA. (Figure that sequence out)

In fixing up a Studebaker, its would be nearly impossible unless you know John or know the guy that John knows. So I'm sort of a parts junkie and John is on speed dial when I need a fix.

At some point, I think John got tired of hauling parts for me so he invited me on a treasure hunt so I could haul them myself. That's when I met Mike. When John told me it was at Chuck Nagel's place I was taken back.

I told them about the time, some 35 years ago, when Chuck stopped by my dad's place in Tucson and asked if he could rebuild a 4bbl carb for his 62 Champ Truck. While my dad and Chuck talked about politics, I got busy removing and rebuilding the carb.

So it was a great day doing a road trip, meeting old acquaintances, making new friends, and treasure hunting.

It's difficult to say how or why people become friends. Studebaker's might have been a catalyst, but I doubt its was enough for someone to become a friend and offer their help when you need it and for one's self be willing to pay it forward.

I've only bought one new car in my life, a 2002 Sequoia. All other, and there are and were many, were in need of fixing. It was unfortunate one day when my girlfriend asked, "Why do you like these old cars?" My reply was honest "I enjoy a challenge of fixing up old things that are in need of repair." Somehow she took that as a reference to our relationship and well you know..

John and Mike, are from my view, the same as they enjoy working on cars and having a challenge. Hence our involvement in the Whistler.. Hopefully they've seen my mistake and will never utter those words to a woman.

Comment

Cool beans, Seb; thanks.

It looks like all three of you guys had a hand in getting The Whistler identified and removed from its certain death. More power to all of you, and good to have "met" you all, even though I've only met John in real life. 'Hope we all get together soon. BP

Comment

This is John's wife, "Ethel" (really...it's Lorilee, and just putting it out there that Lucy (Lisa) and I are the FARTHEST from creating trouble! Sometimes! (Although we do get really loud and wound up!) We really have a lot of fun together! We love that our hubbies hobbies bring them such joy and can count on BIG grins when they return from a visit with Chuck. Upon a late night return unloading, the men can often be caught rehashing the day in the darkness. (as if an all day excursion and 2 1/2 hour ride home was not enough) Oh Boy! Their excitement is like watching kids in a candy store! As for The Whistler, a long-time friend located the original photographer from the track out at Beeline Drag Way. At 90 years "young", and still living in Arizona, he was able to access his collection and came up with a handful of never been seen photos of The Whistler" . Now, I'm sure that every wife has trouble finding the BEST gift for Christmas but I have to say, that with the help of our friend, I SCORED! Of course I wrapped each photo individually to stretch out the excitement. They will be posted soon I am told. It will be great to watch as this story continues to unfold! hanks for keeping it alive!

Comment

This is John's wife, "Ethel."

As for The Whistler, a long-time friend located the original photographer from the track out at Beeline Drag Way. At 90 years "young", and still living in Arizona, he was able to access his collection and came up with a handful of never been seen photos of "The Whistler" . Now, I'm sure that every wife has trouble finding the BEST gift for Christmas but I have to say, that with the help of our friend, I SCORED! Of course I wrapped each photo individually to stretch out the excitement. They will be posted soon I am told. It will be great to watch as this story continues to unfold! hanks for keeping it alive!
                                Woo-hoo!

(OK, John; Christmas was six weeks ago: WHERE ARE THOSE PICTURES ?????) BP

Comment

Working...
                                X