Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc Schildwaechter has died

We received word that Dr. Dieter (Doc) Schildwaechter died
    Saturday, Nov. 6, 2004. The Potomac, Keystone and Greater Virginia Chapters (and possibly some others) have lost a fine member. Many of you know him or have seen him at York, Reedsville, Hershey and a number of International Meets. In addition to owning several nice Studebakers, Doc was a big MoPar collector with some very interesting cars (a "K" car limousine, a couple Cordoba convertible prototypes and others). He used to own several Chrysler 300s.
    Doc was born in Germany and attended medical school in Berlin during World War II. He had many interesting stories of his studies in those tough days.
    The story I like best was his story of exposure to Studebakers. He said that there was an international auto show in Berlin in 1950. He couldn't afford the entrance fee, but as the show was being torn down, he sneaked in and there it was- a '50 Studebaker Champion Starlight Coupe on a pedestal. He said it was the most beautiful car he had ever seen and he was hooked then and there. When he came to the US he bought a Studebaker (not a '50 Champion though he did get one later) for his transportation. He said he drove it for more than six months before he learned that he had to register it and have a driver's license. Other neat stories included telling of things he had to do as a young intern to survive in his early medical days. By the way, he was a renowned oncologist.
    I'll miss Doc. For several years I let him bring his excess stock from his '54 Champion Starlight restoration to sell at my space at York. I could never pin him down on what he wanted for pieces and I could never track him down when someone wanted to buy something. He was too busy looking at and talking about Studebakers (in his heavy German accent).
    Doc had to be well into his 80's, but he was the youngest and most vigorous 80-year-old I ever saw. The irony of his death is that complications resulting from a tooth extraction brought him down.
    If anyone has a "Doc Schildwaechter story", please feel free to share it.
    Paul Johnson
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Sounds like an interesting fella and a great loss for Studebakering Paul. I'd sure enjoy hearing more stories. My deepest sympathy to you and the Doc's family.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
    X