Stude V8 in 65 or 66 cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude V8 in 65 or 66 cars?

I'm just curious. Has anyone ever put a Studebaker V8 in a 1965 or 66 Studebaker? Does anyone have any pictures? Is it harder than putting a small block chevy in a pre-65 Studebaker?

I'm not planning on doing this, but it would make the car unique.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

They were designed for a Studebaker V-8 and should be no problem.

Comment

Yes it has been done. I have no pictures of one though. Should be a very easy change mostly just the Front Engine Mount Brackets get replaced.

Why not make your '65 or '66 ALL Stude. ?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of several 'Chevybakers' that were refitted with Studebaker V-8s. My '65 Cruiser was so converted by its subsequent owner.
        The swap back to Stude power is actually quite a bit easier of the two as there were far more Studebaker engined Lark (types) produced, and thus the parts for the change back to Stude power are far more readily available. Whereas the unique parts, such as the special bellhousings and cross-members used to install the GM V-8 are no longer that common, thus most such conversions now done will usually incorporate readily servicable GM auto or standard transmissions and thus require custom designed transmission supports and driveshaft modifications.

All that said, I have owned both types, and would retain whatever make of engine was original to the year of the vehicle.
        Of course with the Chevybaker an upgrade to a latter GM 350-400 'crate engine' is easy and makes for quite a 'sleeper'.

Comment

Just wanted to add, One of my fantasy builds would be to use a World Products thick walled high-nickel content SBC race block to build up a 406 beasty. Get the strength of a Stude block with the HP capabilities of a race SBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
            Just wanted to add, One of my fantasy builds would be to use a World Products thick walled high-nickel content SBC race block to build up a 406 beasty. Get the strength of a Stude block with the HP capabilities of a race SBC.
            IIRC, World Products offers a fully built crate 427 sbc with a warranty...why limit yourself to building a 'wimpy' 406? lol. Cheers, Junior.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I did this swap a few years ago. It was pretty easy. I had a parts car though. There are quite a few 'bits and pieces" needed to make it all work. I ended up selling my Chevy parts for quite a few dollars, so that helped also.

If I had it to do over though I probably would have went with a small block Chevy. (My car had a 194 six.) You can get a lot more power with the chevy for the dollars spent.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
              X