Inoperative speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Inoperative speedo

Speedometer works when cable at transmission rotated but does not work when cable is reinstalled into transmission. Drive gear on transmission output shaft is secure. Any suggestions as to cause of this issue?

Is the gear worn on the end of the speedometer cable end? Is the speedometer cable seated into the transmission? Just a couple of thoughts.

Comment

...if your car is a 1959 6 banger w/ OD.... for many thousands of units the tranny gears were bad and eventually replaced...don't know if under warranty...

Comment

Yea right Jackb--the guy that sold me my 50 Champion told me my car had a 63 year warranty. Give him a break, it's his first post. check the cable end and the gear in the tranny///maybe/maybe. It might help you to tell us what year and make Stude you have since your on tech talk....Let me be the first to say Welcome. These guys are good and have helped me tons. Rick

Comment

...OK , I see I left out an important few words: there was a recall on those soft gears that were clipped on to the output side of the tranny. I found that in a 1958-59 service letter back when I had this very same problem in my 59' 2-dr wagon. Seems many 2dr sedans and wagons with the flat 6 w/OD were the main vehicle problems. Unlike the V8 the tranny gear runs both the governor and the speedo....couldn't take the demand....I tried to find a replacement gear...and didn't find that an easy task...so I connected the governor to a toggle switch under the dash to ground....

Comment

thanks Jack, but we still don't know what model car he has?

Comment

Sometimes the cable end at the transmission gets rounded off but most likely the speedo pinion gear is worn out.
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by alschevelle@gmail.com View Post
                Speedometer works when cable at transmission rotated but does not work when cable is reinstalled into transmission. Drive gear on transmission output shaft is secure. Any suggestions as to cause of this issue?
                WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

Lubricating the cable with a good speedo cable lubricant might be a good first step.

Comment

Working...
                X