Painting gauge face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting gauge face

I have searched and searched, but not yet found out how to paint the speedo, oil, amp, temp, etc.. etc.. gauge face. After 63 years it is a little yellow. Do I just use white florescent paint on the letters and numbers. Or some kind of illuminescent paint. I found nothing on this site for cars older than 1962, all they used was soap and water,,,,I wish to bring back the whiteness. Is there a company that makes new faces? Can't really afford 3-4 hundred for new gauges I found in Studebaker Int. catalog....And my oil gauge is broke, I could use one for a 50 champ--9g..thanks

Comment

While NOS gauges are plentiful at Studebaker vendors, (I literally have dozens), my experience has been that by installing these NOS gauges little improvement will be realized. I replaced all the gauges and speedo head with NOS in my '52 and was disappointed with the results. The luminescent coating seemed to have gone away, even though the gauges had been in their boxes for 60 years.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I recently completed a bench repair on a 50 commander speedometer. While I had the speedo apart I removed the dark light filter. I then installed a green filter that fits over the miniature bulb. WOW I can't believe how much better is, iknow it's not stock but at least u can see it at night not Now I have to figure out if the clock and the oil press/temp/amp/fuel gauge can be done the same way
        Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
        While NOS gauges are plentiful at Studebaker vendors, (I literally have dozens), my experience has been that by installing these NOS gauges little improvement will be realized. I replaced all the gauges and speedo head with NOS in my '52 and was disappointed with the results. The luminescent coating seemed to have gone away, even though the gauges had been in their boxes for 60 years.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...
        X