Ignition switch wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Ignition switch wiring

Here is my problem. I have a 55 champion that the po converted to 12 volt negative ground. There was no ignition switch so I purchased one from Studebaker Intl. The back of the switch has 4 posts marked BAT, IGN, ACC and ST. The wiring diagram in the shop manual lists AMP, COIL, ACC and S. Hopefully one of the great ones here can tell me how they correspond to each other. I know ACC is the same on both switches but I am not sure about BAT and IGN. I dont want to wire this backwards and fry something. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Lee

Pretty sure BAT= AMP, and IGN= COIL. A word of wisdom, based upon personal experience; make up a set of large clip leads with an inline fuse holder with a 7-10 Amp fuse. Parts can be easily obtained at your local auto parts store. When you change something in the electrical, reconnect the neg cable and connect the fused clip lead set between the battery+ and battery + cable so of anything is not right, the fuse will blow, not the wiring. 7-10 amps should be enough for checking everything but headlights and starter.

Comment

I've just done the same kinda worx on my -55 4-door Champion cause of complete drive-line change & I discovered that there was two different brands of ingintion/start switches & I've got the same as you but I couldn't get a electrical diagram that showed it... so I googled & found -59 Lark Delco-Remy that had the same.
      So if you google "1959 Lark electric wiring diagram" you should find something that worx!
      (Anyway; I've got a Mopar electronic ignition system so I still had to figure out a different way & in the end it worked out fine.)

Comment

Originally posted by willisl55 View Post
        Here is my problem. I have a 55 champion that the po converted to 12 volt negative ground. There was no ignition switch so I purchased one from Studebaker Intl. The back of the switch has 4 posts marked BAT, IGN, ACC and ST. The wiring diagram in the shop manual lists AMP, COIL, ACC and S. Hopefully one of the great ones here can tell me how they correspond to each other. I know ACC is the same on both switches but I am not sure about BAT and IGN. I dont want to wire this backwards and fry something. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Lee
        Amp is Bat and ign. is coil. However you will have to reverse the wires on the amp meter if it has one when converting polarity or the meter will show discharge when it is actually charging. I think all else would make no difference. Of course any fan motors will also have to be reversed and should be 12 volt or have voltage dropping resisters. And of course the coil will also need to be reversed and be 12 volt. There is an excellent booklet available from one of the members on doing the conversion properly. Light etc. don;t care about polarity.
        Nick

Comment

Ok I made the changes and here is a new problem. The car had a jury rigged starter button that had only 1 wire and the switch was fastened to the dash frame. I traced the wire to the starter solenoid so I took this wire and fastened it to the start terminal of the new ignition switch. When I turn the key to start I get nothing but if i put the wire back on the starter button it starts the engine. does this sound like a bad ground on the new ignition switch. All the lights work(except turn signals which I am also rewiring) so I am not sure where to look.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far. These forum members are fantastic.

Nick, I have Randy Rundles book and it has been a big help. Thanks

Comment

Lee, I believe your 'new' problem of the starter not wanting to turn is because of the starter relay or 'solenoid'.
            There are 2 types of these relays, one must be activated with 12 Volts (on the small terminal) to work, the other receives 12Volt internally, and only needs to be grounded (on the small terminal) to operate.
            It appears that you have the second type, because you are grounding the relay through the push button switch.
            I believe changing the relay will solve your problem.
            A Ford relay (about 1969) should work if you cannot find a Studebaker part.
            Tom T

Comment

I'm in a rather stupid predicament. I removed the ignition switch wires trying to get my switch to the locksmith, didn't have proper lighting, and didn't a pic of anything, nor did I actually mark any of the wires as to where they went. Now I have no real idea of where they go on the switch. Does anyone have a pic or two of what the wires look like on their switch?
              www.spannerbird.com
              Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

If the Car in question in post #7 is a '53 Commander 8, there are some variables here. These originally had rubber covered, cloth jacketed Wires, these are very fragile after this many years, also a bit faded and all look pretty much Brown even though they did have color coded stripes when new.

So, has it been re-wired with a New Color coded plastic Main Harness?

We need to know what we are dealing with for a Wiring Diagram to work.
                If all else fails you would have to trace all of them to their destinations to be sure of the proper connections.

Plan "B":
                Assuming a stock '53 Comm. with 6 Volt Positive Ground.
                Here is a start on the easy stuff:

The Accessories (ACC) wires are easy and short; Radio, Heater, Defroster, Wipers, Cigar Lighter.

Automatics have a toggle switch for Start and Std. Trans. a under the Clutch Switch, so there should not be a "Start" wire.

The other wires MAY be found on one of the on-line wiring diagram websites.

Truthfully, this is best on a New Post because it will get very confusing dealing with the OP's completely different situation on a different Car here also.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 08-24-2013, 12:01 AM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here's the pics of the wires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4073.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1683353

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4074.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1683354
                  www.spannerbird.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spannerbird View Post
                    Here's the pics of the wires.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26870[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26871[/ATTACH]
                    Here's your wiring diagram...

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...es/53-wire.jpg (click on it to enlarge it)

If the wiring and switch are still stock, the #10 black wire goes to the "amp" post, the #14 black and green wire goes to the "coil" post, and the #14 black and white wires to the "acc" post.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Ok, cool cheers!!

This is the type of ignition switch I have. It's not stock, but I can easily see by the price why whomever installed it chose it. I could buy the stock ignition switch, but $75 from S.I., is a bit much right now. That and this does the job well, and to the average non enthusiast, they don't care. =)

There is a great deal of information in our listings. If you are viewing this listing on a mobile device please read and understand all of our terms and conditions in the description before you make your purchases. Failure to do so can cause misunderstanding and aggravation. Do not rely on the Vehicle Compatibility Listings as many vehicles have different parts and options. We have drawings and dimensions in most of our listing to prevent purchasing the wrong part. Our phone number is available in every listing by clicking on the “Call Al” links. Feel free to call us anytime 8am to 8pm Pacific Time 7 days a week.
                      www.spannerbird.com

Comment

Ok that switch is a replacement for a '55 to '66 "START" Type switch.

You have to know if you have been using that function or if you need to just not use it.
                        If it was working, it should be easy to find the new plastic covered wire that someone added going to the Solenoid.
                        It goes on the Center Terminal Marked "S" of the Switch.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There were 2 wires going to one of the terminals on the switch.
                          www.spannerbird.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spannerbird View Post
                            There were 2 wires going to one of the terminals on the switch.
                            Do they go into the Harness or to Two Accessories? Probably came from the ACC Term, but you do need to know where they go.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't know if that pic went through or not.
                              Attached Files
                              www.spannerbird.com

Comment

Working...
                              X