Thread: 259 V8 Rebuild

Champion Member

259 V8 Rebuild

So I recently bought a 259 V8 to drop in my Champ Pickup, any tips on the rebuild? The engine is not running.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Save yourself some money and buy one ready to drop in.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkInProgress View Post
    So I recently bought a 259 V8 to drop in my Champ Pickup, any tips on the rebuild? The engine is not running.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

Golden Hawk Member
    As Jerry said - I would rather buy one that was at least running and then fix it some with valve stem seals, ignition parts, carb. rebuild, etc.
    For an engine that is not running, especially if it doesn't turn freely, you do not know what you are getting into. It may not be rebuildable or at least cost a lot of money.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    If you've done engine overhaul/rebuilds before don't be afraid of it, but buy the studebaker shop manual and familiarize yourself with it!! If this is your first rebuild find someone who has done them and let them walk with you through the process. If you can find a good running engine that someone will guarantee then you'd be better off going that route. However thats tough as the average cat selling good servicable studebaker engines are going to overpromise and under deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkInProgress View Post

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

You can also do a search of the archives here, which will bring up several hours of reading on the subject of Stude V8 rebuild. Just about any question you can think of has likely been answered several times over, and is available in the archives. If you still have questions, feel free to ask away

It's a little late to advise buying something else. Pretty similar to rebuilding any other V-8, with only a few Studebaker peculiarities. Do get yourself a Studebaker Shop Manual, do purchase as many of your required parts from our Studebaker vendors as possible. The future of our hobby depends on keeping them in business.
    When you put it back together, do make certain the galley plug under the distributor is in place. Otherwise, no oil pressure.