Best anti fog solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Best anti fog solution

What's the best stuff to put on the interior windows to keep fog to a minimum.
    I've attempted to redirect airflow out of the vents and that helped somewhat.
    Is the Rain-ex anti-fog stuff any good ?
    South Lompoc Studebaker

I remember my Dad carried a bottle of glycerin in his '39 Ford to keep the windows from fogging. Never tried the Rainex stuff but their window treatment works pretty good.

Comment

When I raced karts we would use Rain-ex on the inside of our visors to keep fogging down when we would race in the rain.
      It worked well. I think it is worth giving a try.

Comment

Yep, Rain-X. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Might want to check for a leaking heater core.

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
          55 Speedster (in work)
          63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
          64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
          64 Avanti R2 (completed)
          85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
          89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

Rain-X again.

Mostly on my motorcycle helmet visor AND glass's, but works on car windows too...!

Mike

Comment

My trouble with Rain-X is it looks really smeared at nighttime....
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Chris -

It should only look smeared at its first "wetting". It should then be pretty clear.
                I've found that if you wipe in on in "one direction", then as the instructions state, lightly wipe it (lightly !) after it dries, it's not too bad.
                It does only seem to last one or two days though, before needing a redo.

Mike

Comment

It has been a while since I used Rain-X but somewhere in the back of my tiny brain is a caution about using it on plastic. Have they changed the formula or offer a product specifically for plastic?
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Chris -

It should only look smeared at its first "wetting". It should then be pretty clear.
                    I've found that if you wipe in on in "one direction", then as the instructions state, lightly wipe it (lightly !) after it dries, it's not too bad.
                    It does only seem to last one or two days though, before needing a redo.

Mike
                    Mike - we are talking about the INSIDE of the windows...
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

So was I...!

Fogging IS the "wetting" I was speaking about...!
                      Been using the stuff for years.

Mike

Comment

I too have had mixed fortune with rain x on the inside of the windshield. When I was driving my coupe as a daily driver, I would keep a squeegee on the passenger seat. Cleared the fog in two seconds.
                        sals54

Comment

Search over 400,000 trails with trail info, maps, detailed reviews, and photos curated by millions of hikers, campers, and nature lovers like you.

Enough hot defroster air to raise the glass temperature is really the best answer.

Comment

Dan,
                            You might want to check if the windshield or rear glass gaskets are leaking, causing excess moisture inside. When we had the car on the Route 66 trip, it got deluged in OK and once home found the gaskets were nearly shot. I had worked a bit of silicone sealer under the front and rear gaskets, which did wonders.
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

When I was a little kid I remember a lot old men had a pouch of Bull Durham (tobacco) in their car. It came in a cloth bag with a draw-string closure. Just wipe the windows without opening the bag. They swore that was the stuff for keeping the fog off.
                              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                              X