No announcement yet.

D33R--1956 Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, got back from college and ended up doing a drivetrain swap to my Chevy (Thread about it HERE), so the old '56 got put on hold for a while, but now that the Chevy's up and going again it's time to start on it again.

Bought a bunch of exhaust tubing, mandrel bends, 2 glasspacks, and tips for it a few weeks ago, so now I'm about to start building the exhaust for it. Going to run dual 2" straight back then kick them out in front of the rear tires.

Still need to buy front wheel cylinders and adapt them for use on the rear, and finish up the wiring mess. Slowly making progress though!
    '56 Studebaker C-Cab--55 front end temporarily. '64 model 259 V8+4spd

Comment

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
        Read the above mentioned thread very carefully...especially post #7. Then, you'll understand why you don't want to adapt the front cylinders to the rear. Besides checking for cylinders from our regular vendors...keep an eye on Ebay. Those mounting holes are a bit odd for our truck rear cylinders and often the Ebay sellers don't show that view. That is very frustrating. If you want to rebuild your old cylinders, and find the pistons gunked-up and stuck solid...I've had luck using a short piece of PVC tubing or wood dowel and a hammer (with the cylinder chucked in a vise) to drive them out.

Glad to see you are back at it. Good luck with the tasks.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

aha thanks guys! Well in that case I guess I'm back to waiting. I haven't had any luck getting my old wheel cylinders apart so far, but my grandfather has some extra axles laying around that he said I could check for cylinders on, so hopefully I can get two working.

Comment

I admire you for tearing into this project, it's nice to see a guy your age who doesn't need instant gratification and is willing to get his hands dirty, there is still hope after all. It will be awesome to drive a truck that your grandfather drove, pretty cool, Carry On Lance

Comment

Thanks! Over the last couple of months I have been slowly making a little progress on the 56. My Chevy needed some attention, and still does, so I've gotta get it working well, then I plan to get back on the '56. That, along with the fact that now I'm back in college has really postponed any progress, but I am going to college locally so I'll be around to get some work done on it. My plans for this weekend include replacing a throw-out bearing on my Chevy, then spending the rest of my free time on the 56's exhaust, getting it all finished up. I've pretty much given up on doing anything with my old wheel cylinders, so I'm probably gonna bite the bullet and pay the $80 a piece for them from SI, and after running it a while, my water pump revealed that it's toast also, so I'll be ordering a new one there too. Then need to start tackling the wiring mess. Plenty of work ahead to keep me more than busy with everything else going on.

Here are some pictures of the little progress I've made so far.

Fuel cell re-mounted, higher in the front, so it drains better:

Drove it out to the front yard so I could hit it all with the pressure washer. Ignore the jumper cables going to the battery in the bed, like I said I still need to get the wiring done(:
              Last edited by D33R; 09-16-2014, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Keep after it. NIce job.

Comment

Working...
                X