Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: What are the tire options for a 1954 3R 6-12 pickup truck

Hello,

I have a 1954 3R 6-12 Studebaker pickup truck that has old and cracking Load Range C Tube Type tires on 16 inch rims. What are my tire options for replacement? Can a basic set of tubeless radials from Costco fit these rim sizes/types? Do I need to go the tubed route? I'm looking for black tires, as opposed to white walls, which we have on our 1950 Champion. Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you!

Regards,
    Jason
    Attached Files

HI Jason!
    I have been looking at some 225/75R 16 Michelin tires for my 39 CE. They should be close to a 670/16 bias ply tire as was specified on my truck. I suspect yours are a similar size.

If Michelin sounds like overkill there probaby are similar tires from kuhmo or hancook at less $.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Thanks so much. Very helpful.

Comment

Just FYI, several of the collector tire companies (eg, Coker, Lucas, Universal) offer 6.00x16 tires in both black and whitewall that look correct and are very close in size to the originals. Not cheap, though, at around $150 apiece.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          Just FYI, several of the collector tire companies (eg, Coker, Lucas, Universal) offer 6.00x16 tires in both black and whitewall that look correct and are very close in size to the originals. Not cheap, though, at around $150 apiece.
          Yes, those would be bias ply, right? For about $100 more coker offers radials that look like the old tires too.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
            Yes, those would be bias ply, right? For about $100 more coker offers radials that look like the old tires too.
            Correct, yes. I guess it depends on what kind of driving one is gonna do. The radials will track better, have a lifespan of about 10 years, but will last 50K miles. The bias-ply tires will only go 20K miles, but will last 25 years, and cost less.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

For myself, driving quality is paramount since I don't ever plan to own any trailer queens. After being accustomed to driving on modern raial tires I could never be satisfied with the bias ply tires. The radials offer better traction for cornering and braking, straight tracking while going straight and much longer life.

Comment

Thanks again everyone. The 3R aspires to be a daily driver, so I was pragmatic with the tire choice. I went with 225 70R 16s. They ride nicely and make a big difference as compared to the previous set.

Comment

Which brand did you go with?

Comment

t walgamuth,

The 3R is a daily driver and an extra set of wheels, so I went with the cheaper option. Falkens were $119 each and Coopers were $154. I went the more economical route and they're working out GREAT.

Regards,
                    Jason

Comment

That is a very reasonable price on the Falkens! Good luck with them.

Comment

Working...
                      X