62 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Hawk

Maybe I'm missing something, but, can anyone explain why a '62 Hawk with a supercharger is bringing money this kind of money? A real R2 in similar condition could be bought for that.

The pictures are not that good and insufficent to make an informed decision. For me that is. Regardless, I could care less about supercharger and would prefer power brakes, steering and a super clean car if I were up against the high bidder at the current price but it ain't gonna happen to my bank account. There's been nice nice 62's that have sold for less on the bay. Then again we don't want people thinking these cars were way ahead of the competition at the time of their introduction or now or do we? I hope it sells for 30. Perhaps when I'm ready to get rid of mine it will fetch as much a Chebbie. Regardless, I don't want no freaking Chebbie, not even a tri-five. cheers jimmijim
    Last edited by jimmijim8; 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

claims to be restored original--and I notice that from the front it appears to be a 63? Perhaps it was mistitled as a 62?

Update: I read the questions at the bottom of the ad, and person claims the front end and supercharger were "dealer installed" in the mid 60s. So I guess one person's version of "original" might not be the same as others. . .

And since it hasn't met reserve, who knows if all those bidders are real?
      Dave Nevin
      Corvallis, OR
      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

This car is weird as it has '63 door panels and '63 Chevrons on the doors inside and out in addition to having a 63 front clip and seat upholstery. Dash is 62, as well as trunk overlay.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Only a GT Hawk owner or afficionado would probably notice the difference. On a 50 year old car that's been an orphan for 48 of those years, anything is possible. But the price IS pretty crazy. Maybe I should put mine on ebay....

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
            Only a GT Hawk owner or afficionado would probably notice the difference. On a 50 year old car that's been an orphan for 48 of those years, anything is possible. But the price IS pretty crazy. Maybe I should put mine on ebay....
            I wrote an ebay listing tonight for a friend's '63, the 3rd R2 Hawk off the line. It goes live in a couple of hours.. Since this supercharged '62 is up to almost $20K, we'll see what his super nice real-deal will bring.

Comment

Hello, a long time ago, mid 70's at least. I had a 1962 GT Hawk. Coming home from Reedsville, getting on the PA turnpike.
              While merging on the on ramp, a lady in a VW square back stopped suddenly, I didn't.
              I limped home with my front end crumpled.
              Long story short, I found a 63 GT Hawk in our local wrecking yard, hit in the rear, I purchased the front clip.
              So if my 62-63 Hawk is still out there, there's another 62 Hawk in 63 clothing driving around.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

given the seller has only "sold" 1 other item (a vehicle), some of the later "bidders" have low buy records, some of the seller's email remarks, certainly not an "original" and no underneath pics, my "spidey-senses" are tingling.
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

My relatively early (build date Oct 62 (and I forgot to have a party last month for it)) 63 GT has a 62 dash. Factory using up stock? Swapped out when restored? Don't know for sure.
                  Jim K.
                  63 Hawk

Comment

'Sure is a lot of room for that air cleaner without the heater box in the way! BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The inner fenders and firewall should be body color and it has 1963 Lark wheelcovers and the hood has been customized with louvers. The term 'original' has been well overused.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

That hood customization is likely an fiberglass scoop overlay. They were used on 57-8 Hawks to cover a hole cut into the hood so as to make clearance for the 57-8 supercharger. The simulated louvers are factory specific pot metal adornments. cheers jimmijim Thank you for your service to our country VETERANS.
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hey guys, sorry to bump this old thread but I noticed this car is for sale not far form me and I signed up to get some advice.

I've been talking with the owner via email. I like the car though I haven't seen it in person yet. I like the 62/63 combo, the four speed, the color and the fact that it's not an all out project car.

He apparently doesn't have a lot of info on the build, done in 2004 by previous owners.

When discussing price, he refers to his ebay auction which is no longer available. His original asking was $22 or 23K. He says he sold another of his 62 Hawks for $17,500 "which wasn't nearly as nice." He refers to the $26,000 spent on the car. For my part, 2011 Mecum sold an original R2 for around $22,000. This car has value as a period correct, non-factory original driver.

My question is, what do you think the car is worth? I'm figuring in the need for A/C which I think I can put in for about $1,400.

The car has been for sale for some time, and based on what he's said I'm not optimistic about him coming down on the price.

Comment

Hey...welcome to the forum! I love it when someone new comes along and decides that we are worthy of your presence. I dearly love my Studebakers, the people, club, rich history, etc. If you have the money and this fulfills some long held desire of yours...go for it. My only caution for you is to be sure of your expectations. Buyer's remorse can be a cruel master. I have owned a GT, and various other Studebaker vehicles. Remember, these vehicles of the era (regardless of brand) require constant adjusting, tinkering, servicing, lubricating, and dedicated attention. Additionally, the more "bells & whistles" ...the more the tinkering.

Behind the exotic, glamor, kudos, thumbs-up, ...lurks some mechanical technology better understood for those with a "hands-on" mentality. If you buy this car and some hot August day find yourself chugging up a steep hill, 65 mph, engine temp north of normal, sitting in a pool of sweat, getting 15 mpg...and some kid cool as a cucumber whizzes by you doing 85mph, 33mpg, listening to rap music on satellite radio, guided by built in GPS, in a 40,000 mile KIA that he don't even know how to raise the hood on...and it doesn't bother you....Great...you're one of us!

Otherwise...you can buy a lot of trouble free performance for daily transportation for what this person is asking.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Oh, I'll be keeping my daily driver. I have some mechanical ability but it's been a few years since I owned a classic. I drove and worked on a 1970 Datsun 2000 roadster for a few years as my primary car, so I understand the no A/C and definitely the constant tinkering. That's part of the fun. I've got some help if I get in too far over my head.
                              I'm just looking for my best option as an additional fun car. I'm actually pretty open to old trucks, muscle cars, hot rods, roadsters, whatever is fun to drive, tinker with, and has some style.

Comment

Working...
                              X