62 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would $17K be too much to offer?
    What's the ballpark on adding a supercharger to a 289 Hawk GT. That would probably get me in the ballpark.

Comment

The early 63's had the aluminium on part of dash,later ones were wood grain,it has the later style 63 front parking lights with the pot metal bezels & larger lenses.The rear tail light bezels are 64 (all chrome,no painted areas).The dash instrument bezels are badly pitted & could sand replating .I have a nicer 63 but alas no S/C or 4 speed

Comment

What was the original color of the car. . .BLACK.. .or were the side walls and fire wall painted. . .just wondering. .
        REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
        The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
        www.thechristiancenter.us
        https://www.facebook.com/Sistah-Luci...3554643351002/

Comment

Comment

As on any C/K Studebaker, the value of the car begins in the floors, rear of the front fenders and other rust-prone parts. Pull all the carpets and with a putty knife, check closely around the bottom of the A-pillar. Then the front fenders just in front of where it meets the door, the rocker panels and so on. A low-rust car is worth easily $5k more than a patched rust bucket.

Voice of experience - just because the car is for sale in a lower-rust area, don't take for granted it spent it's life there. I bought a "California car" on line which had extensive rust patched with window screen and a Missouri license plate.

Test drive the car in worst-case situations, slowly through a shopping mall in 100-degree heat. Unfortunately, there aren't any hills within a day's drive of Shreveport, so you can't give it that test.

Bottom line, unless that car is really rust free, it's way overpriced.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Update:
              Communication with the seller was very frustrating. He's selling it for a friend. Response time was measured in hours if not days, and what could have been worked out in a morning took a week.
              Ultimately, I proposed $17.5K and he came back with $19K. I felt like this was close enough to warrant my 2 hour drive to check the car out. My last text stated that, but I reiterated that I had difficulty determining the car's value. I sent him a link previously to the last Mecum genuine R2 that sold for about $24K. I discussed the value of a restored Hawk GT and the 3-6K the supercharger conversion would cost (based on SDC forum info). I mentioned that we discussed the car here and that's where I got my info. I politely asked for info regarding comparable sales to help me understand the value of the car.

His response was "Thanks for the interest. I would check with the folks on the forum and have them find a car."

I thought it was a rude response and had he not ended the negotiation I would have based on his attitude.

He said he plans to send it to Mecum in Dallas with a $23K reserve. There's a reason this car has been for sale this long.

Comment

I don't think Mecum sells with a reserve.... could be wrong.
                It is an addiction!

Comment

IMHO, a patchwork car of mechanical & body parts from 62, 63 & 64 models will never have a collector value close to an original of either year in comparable condition. It would make a nice tour car and a conversation piece, but I think the owner has unrealistic visions of the car's value.

If you're not in a big hurry, nice GT Hawks aren't that rare on the market. You're on the right track by doing your homework here, keep your eyes & ears open and see what comes up!

PS: You are aware that to make a true R2 (supercharged) upgrade from a stock 1962 289 V8, you need to have a full flow block, different pistons, camshaft, fuel pump, sealed AFB Carb etc etc? It would be interesting to know if this car just had a blower bolted on or if it has the other required items. The serial number on the block should start with "JTS" if they swapped the complete R2 motor over.
                  Last edited by Packard8; 07-03-2013, 12:37 PM.
                  1996 Impala SS
                  1967 Jag XKE FHC
                  1963 Avanti R2
                  1963 Avanti R1
                  1956 Packard Patrician
                  1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
                  1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

Originally posted by Packard8 View Post
                    IMHO, a patchwork car of mechanical & body parts from 62, 63 & 64 models will never have a collector value close to an original of either year in comparable condition. It would make a nice tour car and a conversation piece, but I think the owner has unrealistic visions of the car's value.

I agree with you, but by going to a general auction many will not know what is correct/incorrect as most on this Forum do. "Made up" cars often do unexpectedly well in the general auction arena.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It's supposedly a complete R2 swap from a factory original 63 R2. I think they just took their favorite or most pristine parts from each and stuck them together. Nice looking car, would have been a great cruiser but not meant to be.

Packard: Homework is my middle name to a fault, though I wasn't aware a couple of the changes you mentioned. The right car will come along.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        I agree with you, but by going to a general auction many will not know what is correct/incorrect as most on this Forum do. "Made up" cars often do unexpectedly well in the general auction arena.

True Gary, at a recent BJ auction a Hemi-Cuda "tribute" sold for $120K. I penciled out that with essential restoration tools (a checkbook and a telephone) you could find a decent Cuda body ($5 to 10K?), have it "restored" (another $10-15K?), order a Mopar crate 426 Hemi & rebuilt 727 ($13-15K?) and pay a shop to put it all together for half of what the buyer paid for a turnkey car.

No cure for bidding fever I guess.
                        Last edited by Packard8; 07-03-2013, 03:22 PM.
                        1996 Impala SS
                        1967 Jag XKE FHC
                        1963 Avanti R2
                        1963 Avanti R1
                        1956 Packard Patrician
                        1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
                        1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

Originally posted by PotatoJudge View Post
                          It's supposedly a complete R2 swap from a factory original 63 R2.
                          That's something a buyer would need to know...the C/L description reads "We took the 63 front end, supercharger and accecories from the donor and upgraded and restored this beautiful example."

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice looking car and would be a fun tour car, but not at that price.
                          1996 Impala SS
                          1967 Jag XKE FHC
                          1963 Avanti R2
                          1963 Avanti R1
                          1956 Packard Patrician
                          1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
                          1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

Hmm......they might have been better off using parts off the '62 to restore the '63.
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by PotatoJudge View Post
                              I wasn't aware a couple of the changes you mentioned.
                              A few more come to mind: windage tray oil pan, steel timing gears, dual point distributor and likely a few more that don't come to mind at the moment.

But hang in there and the right car will come along as you said.
                              1996 Impala SS
                              1967 Jag XKE FHC
                              1963 Avanti R2
                              1963 Avanti R1
                              1956 Packard Patrician
                              1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
                              1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

Working...
                              X