Thread: 62 Hawk

Golden Hawk Member

62 Hawk

Maybe I'm missing something, but, can anyone explain why a '62 Hawk with a supercharger is bringing money this kind of money? A real R2 in similar condition could be bought for that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-...orcev4exp=true
    Matthew Burnette

President Member
    The pictures are not that good and insufficent to make an informed decision. For me that is. Regardless, I could care less about supercharger and would prefer power brakes, steering and a super clean car if I were up against the high bidder at the current price but it ain't gonna happen to my bank account. There's been nice nice 62's that have sold for less on the bay. Then again we don't want people thinking these cars were way ahead of the competition at the time of their introduction or now or do we? I hope it sells for 30. Perhaps when I'm ready to get rid of mine it will fetch as much a Chebbie. Regardless, I don't want no freaking Chebbie, not even a tri-five. cheers jimmijim
    Last edited by jimmijim8; 11-11-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

President Member
    claims to be restored original--and I notice that from the front it appears to be a 63? Perhaps it was mistitled as a 62?

Update: I read the questions at the bottom of the ad, and person claims the front end and supercharger were "dealer installed" in the mid 60s. So I guess one person's version of "original" might not be the same as others. . .

And since it hasn't met reserve, who knows if all those bidders are real?
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

President Member
    This car is weird as it has '63 door panels and '63 Chevrons on the doors inside and out in addition to having a 63 front clip and seat upholstery. Dash is 62, as well as trunk overlay.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv. 259, Flightomatic
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Only a GT Hawk owner or afficionado would probably notice the difference. On a 50 year old car that's been an orphan for 48 of those years, anything is possible. But the price IS pretty crazy. Maybe I should put mine on ebay....

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
    Only a GT Hawk owner or afficionado would probably notice the difference. On a 50 year old car that's been an orphan for 48 of those years, anything is possible. But the price IS pretty crazy. Maybe I should put mine on ebay....
    I wrote an ebay listing tonight for a friend's '63, the 3rd R2 Hawk off the line. It goes live in a couple of hours.. Since this supercharged '62 is up to almost $20K, we'll see what his super nice real-deal will bring.
    Matthew Burnette

Hello, a long time ago, mid 70's at least. I had a 1962 GT Hawk. Coming home from Reedsville, getting on the PA turnpike.
    While merging on the on ramp, a lady in a VW square back stopped suddenly, I didn't.
    I limped home with my front end crumpled.
    Long story short, I found a 63 GT Hawk in our local wrecking yard, hit in the rear, I purchased the front clip.
    So if my 62-63 Hawk is still out there, there's another 62 Hawk in 63 clothing driving around.

given the seller has only "sold" 1 other item (a vehicle), some of the later "bidders" have low buy records, some of the seller's email remarks, certainly not an "original" and no underneath pics, my "spidey-senses" are tingling.
    Kerry

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. [IMG][/IMG] '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.[IMG][/IMG]

Speedster Member
    My relatively early (build date Oct 62 (and I forgot to have a party last month for it)) 63 GT has a 62 dash. Factory using up stock? Swapped out when restored? Don't know for sure.
    Jim K.
    63 Hawk

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    'Sure is a lot of room for that air cleaner without the heater box in the way! BP
    Panem et Circenses

The inner fenders and firewall should be body color and it has 1963 Lark wheelcovers and the hood has been customized with louvers. The term 'original' has been well overused.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

President Member
    That hood customization is likely an fiberglass scoop overlay. They were used on 57-8 Hawks to cover a hole cut into the hood so as to make clearance for the 57-8 supercharger. The simulated louvers are factory specific pot metal adornments. cheers jimmijim Thank you for your service to our country VETERANS.
    Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Champion Member
    Hey guys, sorry to bump this old thread but I noticed this car is for sale not far form me and I signed up to get some advice.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3817987099.html

I've been talking with the owner via email. I like the car though I haven't seen it in person yet. I like the 62/63 combo, the four speed, the color and the fact that it's not an all out project car.

He apparently doesn't have a lot of info on the build, done in 2004 by previous owners.

When discussing price, he refers to his ebay auction which is no longer available. His original asking was $22 or 23K. He says he sold another of his 62 Hawks for $17,500 "which wasn't nearly as nice." He refers to the $26,000 spent on the car. For my part, 2011 Mecum sold an original R2 for around $22,000. This car has value as a period correct, non-factory original driver.

My question is, what do you think the car is worth? I'm figuring in the need for A/C which I think I can put in for about $1,400.

The car has been for sale for some time, and based on what he's said I'm not optimistic about him coming down on the price.

Hey...welcome to the forum! I love it when someone new comes along and decides that we are worthy of your presence. I dearly love my Studebakers, the people, club, rich history, etc. If you have the money and this fulfills some long held desire of yours...go for it. My only caution for you is to be sure of your expectations. Buyer's remorse can be a cruel master. I have owned a GT, and various other Studebaker vehicles. Remember, these vehicles of the era (regardless of brand) require constant adjusting, tinkering, servicing, lubricating, and dedicated attention. Additionally, the more "bells & whistles" ...the more the tinkering.

Behind the exotic, glamor, kudos, thumbs-up, ...lurks some mechanical technology better understood for those with a "hands-on" mentality. If you buy this car and some hot August day find yourself chugging up a steep hill, 65 mph, engine temp north of normal, sitting in a pool of sweat, getting 15 mpg...and some kid cool as a cucumber whizzes by you doing 85mph, 33mpg, listening to rap music on satellite radio, guided by built in GPS, in a 40,000 mile KIA that he don't even know how to raise the hood on...and it doesn't bother you....Great...you're one of us!

Otherwise...you can buy a lot of trouble free performance for daily transportation for what this person is asking.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Champion Member
    Oh, I'll be keeping my daily driver. I have some mechanical ability but it's been a few years since I owned a classic. I drove and worked on a 1970 Datsun 2000 roadster for a few years as my primary car, so I understand the no A/C and definitely the constant tinkering. That's part of the fun. I've got some help if I get in too far over my head.
    I'm just looking for my best option as an additional fun car. I'm actually pretty open to old trucks, muscle cars, hot rods, roadsters, whatever is fun to drive, tinker with, and has some style.

Champion Member
    Would $17K be too much to offer?
    What's the ballpark on adding a supercharger to a 289 Hawk GT. That would probably get me in the ballpark.

President Member
    The early 63's had the aluminium on part of dash,later ones were wood grain,it has the later style 63 front parking lights with the pot metal bezels & larger lenses.The rear tail light bezels are 64 (all chrome,no painted areas).The dash instrument bezels are badly pitted & could sand replating .I have a nicer 63 but alas no S/C or 4 speed

What was the original color of the car. . .BLACK.. .or were the side walls and fire wall painted. . .just wondering. .
    REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
    The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
    www.thechristiancenter.us

Speedster Member
    Something doesn’t add up. I have a 62 and my front end does not look like that. That is not a 62 grill that I can tell. Also the turn signals and headlights are not from a 62. It seems the front is from a 63 rather than a 62. Steering wheel is not a 62. the front spears on the fender are not as tall. In 62 the acrylic piece was taller. In 63 and up they were shorter and also light up if I recall correctly. The hood also appears to be from a 63 I am guessing.
    If any of this is wrong I am sorry. Just comparing it to my 62 and other pics of 62's

Silver Hawk Member
    As on any C/K Studebaker, the value of the car begins in the floors, rear of the front fenders and other rust-prone parts. Pull all the carpets and with a putty knife, check closely around the bottom of the A-pillar. Then the front fenders just in front of where it meets the door, the rocker panels and so on. A low-rust car is worth easily $5k more than a patched rust bucket.

Voice of experience - just because the car is for sale in a lower-rust area, don't take for granted it spent it's life there. I bought a "California car" on line which had extensive rust patched with window screen and a Missouri license plate.

Test drive the car in worst-case situations, slowly through a shopping mall in 100-degree heat. Unfortunately, there aren't any hills within a day's drive of Shreveport, so you can't give it that test.

Bottom line, unless that car is really rust free, it's way overpriced.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Champion Member
    Update:
    Communication with the seller was very frustrating. He's selling it for a friend. Response time was measured in hours if not days, and what could have been worked out in a morning took a week.
    Ultimately, I proposed $17.5K and he came back with $19K. I felt like this was close enough to warrant my 2 hour drive to check the car out. My last text stated that, but I reiterated that I had difficulty determining the car's value. I sent him a link previously to the last Mecum genuine R2 that sold for about $24K. I discussed the value of a restored Hawk GT and the 3-6K the supercharger conversion would cost (based on SDC forum info). I mentioned that we discussed the car here and that's where I got my info. I politely asked for info regarding comparable sales to help me understand the value of the car.

His response was "Thanks for the interest. I would check with the folks on the forum and have them find a car."

I thought it was a rude response and had he not ended the negotiation I would have based on his attitude.

He said he plans to send it to Mecum in Dallas with a $23K reserve. There's a reason this car has been for sale this long.

I don't think Mecum sells with a reserve.... could be wrong.
    It is an addiction!

Speedster Member
    IMHO, a patchwork car of mechanical & body parts from 62, 63 & 64 models will never have a collector value close to an original of either year in comparable condition. It would make a nice tour car and a conversation piece, but I think the owner has unrealistic visions of the car's value.

If you're not in a big hurry, nice GT Hawks aren't that rare on the market. You're on the right track by doing your homework here, keep your eyes & ears open and see what comes up!

PS: You are aware that to make a true R2 (supercharged) upgrade from a stock 1962 289 V8, you need to have a full flow block, different pistons, camshaft, fuel pump, sealed AFB Carb etc etc? It would be interesting to know if this car just had a blower bolted on or if it has the other required items. The serial number on the block should start with "JTS" if they swapped the complete R2 motor over.
    Last edited by Packard8; 07-03-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Packard8 View Post
    IMHO, a patchwork car of mechanical & body parts from 62, 63 & 64 models will never have a collector value close to an original of either year in comparable condition. It would make a nice tour car and a conversation piece, but I think the owner has unrealistic visions of the car's value.

I agree with you, but by going to a general auction many will not know what is correct/incorrect as most on this Forum do. "Made up" cars often do unexpectedly well in the general auction arena.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Champion Member
    It's supposedly a complete R2 swap from a factory original 63 R2. I think they just took their favorite or most pristine parts from each and stuck them together. Nice looking car, would have been a great cruiser but not meant to be.

Packard: Homework is my middle name to a fault, though I wasn't aware a couple of the changes you mentioned. The right car will come along.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I agree with you, but by going to a general auction many will not know what is correct/incorrect as most on this Forum do. "Made up" cars often do unexpectedly well in the general auction arena.

True Gary, at a recent BJ auction a Hemi-Cuda "tribute" sold for $120K. I penciled out that with essential restoration tools (a checkbook and a telephone) you could find a decent Cuda body ($5 to 10K?), have it "restored" (another $10-15K?), order a Mopar crate 426 Hemi & rebuilt 727 ($13-15K?) and pay a shop to put it all together for half of what the buyer paid for a turnkey car.

No cure for bidding fever I guess.
    Last edited by Packard8; 07-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoJudge View Post
    It's supposedly a complete R2 swap from a factory original 63 R2.
    That's something a buyer would need to know...the C/L description reads "We took the 63 front end, supercharger and accecories from the donor and upgraded and restored this beautiful example."

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice looking car and would be a fun tour car, but not at that price.

Hmm......they might have been better off using parts off the '62 to restore the '63.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoJudge View Post
    I wasn't aware a couple of the changes you mentioned.
    A few more come to mind: windage tray oil pan, steel timing gears, dual point distributor and likely a few more that don't come to mind at the moment.

But hang in there and the right car will come along as you said.