Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: straight 8 engine question

  1. #1
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    , ,westville indiana .
    Posts
    175

    straight 8 engine question

    I was at a flee market today and a fellow had a lot of Studebaker stuff. There a lot of 8 x 10 pictures & several of a straight 8 with 4 carburators. I doin't know anything about this engine. I am going back tomorrow so anybody have any information let me know. Thank you

  2. #2
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    11,104
    Those were the engines used in the Indy race cars of the early 30's.
    Matthew Burnette

  3. #3
    Golden Hawk Member rockne10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa, USA.
    Posts
    10,101



  4. #4
    Golden Hawk Member rockne10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa, USA.
    Posts
    10,101
    I think all Wayne found were pictures.

  5. #5
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,003
    To: rockne10,----Yes, You're most likely right.

  6. #6
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    , ,westville indiana .
    Posts
    175
    Sorry just pictures

  7. #7
    President Member garyash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Dartmouth, MA, USA.
    Posts
    1,269
    Was it a copy of this picture or similar? In fact, this one is of the smaller 250 cu in engine during development for the 1934 race. Studebaker went into receivership before the race, didn't participate in 1934, and sold off the completed engines. At least one engine had been installed in one of the 1932-33 cars for testing. Horsepower was about 200 at 4400-4600 rpm, about the same as the larger 336 cu in engines made from 1928-33 and used in the factory and independent cars.




    Here are my copies of the factory engine, though I can't find any 8-cylinder magnetos under $10,000 each.

    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

    '32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

  8. #8
    Champion Member MarioD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cologne West Germany
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by garyash View Post
    Was it a copy of this picture or similar? In fact, this one is of the smaller 250 cu in engine during development for the 1934 race. Studebaker went into receivership before the race, didn't participate in 1934, and sold off the completed engines. At least one engine had been installed in one of the 1932-33 cars for testing. Horsepower was about 200 at 4400-4600 rpm, about the same as the larger 336 cu in engines made from 1928-33 and used in the factory and independent cars.




    Here are my copies of the factory engine, though I can't find any 8-cylinder magnetos under $10,000 each.

    Hi Gary here are some magnetos for a lot less......!

    Clockwise and anticlockwise not sure what you need - what is under the frontcover that drives the magneto?

    http://www.prewarcar.com/index.php?o...340&Itemid=433
    http://www.prewarcar.com/index.php?o...043&Itemid=433
    http://www.prewarcar.com/index.php?o...345&Itemid=433
    http://www.prewarcar.com/index.php?o...907&Itemid=433

    Mario

  9. #9
    Champion Member MarioD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cologne West Germany
    Posts
    6
    Got my 'President ' last weekend but I'm not sure what year the engine is actually Enginenumber is FE5765.
    I think it is 1928.
    stude_9.jpg

    Any advice appreciated!

    Mario

  10. #10
    President Member Aussie Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioD View Post
    Got my 'President ' last weekend but I'm not sure what year the engine is actually Enginenumber is FE5765.
    I think it is 1928.
    stude_9.jpg

    Any advice appreciated!

    Mario
    I'd love to make a Stude Speedster from that ;-)
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    <img src=http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac311/Aussie_Hawk/382540_10151076345149314_1092019127_n-1.jpg border=0 alt= />

    Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

  11. #11
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Niles, Mi
    Posts
    144
    Got my 'President ' last weekend but I'm not sure what year the engine is actually Engine number is FE5765.
    I think it is 1928.

    The casting letter and numbers will tell you the date it was cast. It looks like a 29. H = 28, I = 29, J = 30, K = 31. This is calendar year not model year. Example j 4 10 is April 10th 1930. What are your plans for it?

  12. #12
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Niles, Mi
    Posts
    144
    I just found your other photos. The block was cast 11 25 1928. H 11 25. So it is a 1929.

  13. #13
    Champion Member MarioD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cologne West Germany
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by studerex View Post
    I just found your other photos. The block was cast 11 25 1928. H 11 25. So it is a 1929.
    Thanks studerex

    I'm gonna build an Indy racer out of it similar as gary ash.

    Picked it up from Chris Compton in Wales, he said he was in contact with you some years ago and you helped him a lot.

    Thank you for the information on the casting numbers.

    Mario

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •