No announcement yet.

Avanti body plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Prestolite Trans-Ignitor was an option, but not seldom seen. In fact, (on an Avanti), it would not be seen. Stock location for it was in front of the radiator! Parts Car?????heck,! that will buff out!
    BTW....I have a rear glass available for it. Are those Mustang seats? They look like a good replacement as far as style and fit are concerned.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 10-11-2012, 05:30 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

To: M15 Trucker,-------There are certain items on this '64 Avanti that would make this car to be something out of the ordinary if they were installed at the factory (That's what I mean about '64 Studebaker
      Avantis,...You never know what You'll find. Any chance of posting the car's serial number?

Comment

Come on it's not that bad...just clean it and show it...after all, it's all original...

The above was a bit or sarcasm pointed at people who won't fix obvious needs on cars because it's "original".
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          To: M15 Trucker,-------There are certain items on this '64 Avanti that would make this car to be something out of the ordinary if they were installed at the factory (That's what I mean about '64 Studebaker
          Avantis,...You never know what You'll find. Any chance of posting the car's serial number?
          I just received, this afternoon, a reply to the last e-mail I sent the owner about the serial number. He says it's R5006. Does anyone have any history on this car? I looked on Bob Johnstone's site but it was not listed.

Comment

Originally posted by M15 Trucker View Post
            I just received, this afternoon, a reply to the last e-mail I sent the owner about the serial number. He says it's R5006. Does anyone have any history on this car? I looked on Bob Johnstone's site but it was not listed.
            Not in the 2011 AOAI Roster.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Tach is afermarket so that would not be a Plus. And the A/C plus Supercharged is an interesting issue also.

I noted that the Body (except front headlight panel) is 1963, which happened on some transition Cars, I still think it was because of the "put aside" early MFG Co. scewups that were later fixed and given 1964 Serial Numbers.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The first "square headlight" Avanti that was initially sold new to the public, and wasn't an auto show car, was 5004.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

StudeRich, how can you tell that that is not an original 8,000 rpm tach? (not the standard 6K tach) The picture is pretty grainy but it looks like it from here.

Comment

I'd like to see a better photo of that tachometer Myself. It May be aftermarket, but on the other hand.............................?

Comment

I own the car since feb 9 2013.. traded some old Honda's I had for it....the engine was a date correct (64-67) sbc 327....actually the car is not that bad..the interior once cleaned up is sweet...not show worthy but definitely good for a driver, I got an original side window for $60 a rear window for $175 and a front clip for $500 (Colorado springs meet)(the rest of the body that it came off of is on bob johnstones website for sale for $350)...so I need to bond on the front clip, paint and put in an engine.. probably put on turner brakes...... have a receipt showing rear axles, brakes just done in 1989, been in that barn since 1990....my goal is painted and roadworthy for under $6000....I am putting a sbc 400 I already had in it...I have $2500 in it all total at this very minute...all used parts except clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing so far...so it won't have a stude engine and I suppose I will probably do some other things to it that the purists might think sacraledge.....but i'm not going for a show winner...i'm going for a good time...I do have a copy of the original invoice......R2,4spd,manual steering (quick ratio), heavy duty springs, 3.31 read axle,electic windows,tinted glass,red...no mention of a/c....but it has the correct parts under the dash and all the plumbing under the hood....hope to make it work....somebody loved that car back in the day.....will eventually post some pics as I can.....would like continuing feedback even if negative (I like the negative it motivates me to show you just what can be done) cheers...Tracy racy_t@yahoo.com

Comment

Lots of work, lots of $$, and LOTS of rare parts missing!

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

I own the car since feb 9 2013.. traded some old Honda's I had for it....the engine was a date correct (64-67) sbc 327....actually the car is not that bad..the interior once cleaned up is sweet...not show worthy but definitely good for a driver, I got an original side window for $60 a rear window for $175 and a front clip for $500 (Colorado springs meet)(the rest of the body that it came off of is on bob johnstones website for sale for $350)...so I need to bond on the front clip, paint and put in an engine.. probably put on turner brakes...... have a receipt showing rear axles, brakes just done in 1989, been in that barn since 1990....my goal is painted and roadworthy for under $6000....I am putting a sbc 400 I already had in it...I have $2500 in it all total at this very minute...all used parts except clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing so far...so it won't have a stude engine and I suppose I will probably do some other things to it that the purists might think sacraledge.....but i'm not going for a show winner...i'm going for a good time...I do have a copy of the original invoice......R2,4spd,manual steering (quick ratio), heavy duty springs, 3.31 read axle,electic windows,tinted glass,red...no mention of a/c....but it has the correct parts under the dash and all the plumbing under the hood....hope to make it work....somebody loved that car back in the day.....will eventually post some pics as I can.....would like continuing feedback even if negative (I like the negative it motivates me to show you just what can be done) cheers...Tracy racy_t@yahoo.com

Comment

It looks like you are having fun......and that's what it's all about. Good for you.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

racy_t, you certainly got it cheap enough. Best of luck getting it back on the street for under 6K. When you start cleaning it out you're going to displace quite a few rats & mice. What size of SBC is in it now? A 400 with a little work will put some spunk into it.
                              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Racy_T, I hope you can post some photos when you get it running. You'll have a fun car to drive! subscribe to Avanti Magazine (aoai.org) and send me progress photos when you get it running... (before and after pixs)!! It'll be fun to see how it turns out.
                                Lew Schucart
                                Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X