Questions on Avanti hood latches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Questions on Avanti hood latches

The questions are about Avanti hood latches: the central pin that the latch arm pivots off of and the spring wraps around, should the central pin rotate or remain stationary. One of my latches it rotates, one it remains stationary. Which is correct?

The Avanti hood latches look the same as some of the Lark hood latches. What years interchange with the Avanti?
    Do any of the dovetail pins and spring assembly also interchange with the Avanti?
    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

The pin should be stationary. If the pin is loose it is adjusting itself up and down as you drive the car. If the hood latches on that side fine, then I would just tighten the nut at the bottom of the pin and hold the pin in place with a screwdriver in the tip.
    John
    1963 Avanti R2
    Marshall, VA

Comment

John, thanks for responding. The pins I am speaking of are in the latches mounted on the inner fender aprons, not to be confused with the dovetail pins on the bottom of the hood.
      sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

The pins are actually long rivets, and should not rotate. The latches should be the same as 63-66 sedans, and possibly earlier. Early Avantis had black phosphate coated springs, and sometime mid year, they were yellow chromate painted. The latch itself is bright zinc plated. The dove tail pins may interchange, but I believe they are shorter on the Avanti.

t
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

They are sort of like a Lark, the originals are a RT and LT because of the hood 'stops' If I recall.

A Lark latch is close, and probably interchangeable. you have to drill a hole for the hood 'stops'- at the right spot.... pretty sure they also share the bolt, and rubber bumper from 64-66 sedans and wagons for the hood stops..

Comment

The Lark latches are interchangeable with the Avanti ones. Just drill the hole for the stop/height adjustment bolt. The preferred yellow springs are stronger than the black ones. The early latch "pins" have a slightly different profile than the later ones. As I recall, the later ones have a land at the upper part of the taper.

Comment

Working...
            X