IDYSD in Southern California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDYSD in Southern California

Yesterday the Orange Empire, Beach Cities/Inland Empire and Los Angeles chapters met at Coco's Reataurant in Brea, California to celebrate IDYSD. We had a total of 28 cars that came from all over the area. 9 cars ( we had a couple of Bullet Noses, a Hawk, a couple of Larks, a Land Cruiser, etc.) drove about 50 miles each way from the northern reaches of the Los Angeles area (San Fernando Valley). All of the cars ran flawlessly and most of the caravan stayed together the entire 50 miles (a couple of the cars caught a red light and weren't able to stay with the caravan), but we all arrived together. A great time was had by all (this is the second time we've done this and we are already planning to do it again next year!).
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

I don't know that I would say they all ran flawlessly. My 1952 still has the problem that when it has a hot engine on a hot day, it will not restart.
    It was jumped to start off Art Cassel's Lark at the Van Nuys parking lot, but I did not need a jump any other time.

On the way home I also ran into a nightmare for a car that overheats with excessive idling and will not restart if the engine is hot.
    I ran into my second Sigalert of the week.
    Wednesday, on my way to work I got stuck on a closed freeway for an hour and five minutes in a Taurus. No biggie. I just texted my boss and shut the engine off.
    I was 20 cars away from the accident then.

Last night (was around 9pm because I went to a friend in Placentia after Brea) I was ten cars away when they shut the 60 down.
    Drat. I knew what to expect.
    First came the cops, then the fire engines, then the ambulances. Then more fire engines. Then more ambulances.
    All the while the 1952 Land Cruiser was getting hotter and hotter. My windshield was steaming up.
    If I shut it off, now that it was hot, I'd be dead meat on the freeway. If I kept running, the car would get even hotter with no air flow.
    Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

After about 35 minutes they let my lane go.
    Car sputtered and backfired. But it drove. Talk about white knuckle driving. I was talking to it the whole time in my mind "c'mon little fella, you can make it."
    By the time I got home it was back to normal.
    But this is not a car to do a Sigalert in.

Of course, I will be back next year, hopefully with the hot restart problem solved so I can just shut down the engine and wait a shut down freeway out with all the modern cars.

I would describe my time there as wonderful.
    My drive down as miserable, hot, and full of traffic.
    My drive back as antique car nightmare.
    But darn tootin' I'll be back next year to do it again!

Comment

Seems another Studebaker in our group had real problems. Art Cassel's salmon colored 1959 Lark first ran out of gas on its way home, then broke down and arrived home after 10pm as a Triple A trailer queen.
      Art thinks it will need its engine replaced. It does not run now.
      That poor little six banger has had more engine problems than any Studebaker I know.
      And Art is such a good natured fella.
      He drove it like a regular car too (though not as much in recent months).
      So this is a get well soon wish to Art's Lark.

Comment

59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Very sorry to hear about Art's Tahiti Coral '59 Lark VI Andrea. I always told him: "Ya should'a got a V8!"

I have known that Car and Art for about as long as I can remember! He is the Greatest!
          And his little Lark 6 goes to all the La Palma Meets and has been to about all others in the area.

Before the Boeing Co. moved me up here in the Northwest I lived in the South Bay Area and grew up in Hawthorne, was past VP, 2 time Treasurer and President of OEC.

It sounds like your '52 LC needs a good Block and Radiator Flush!
          Also check the Battery Ground strap for a 00 size braided Strap with good Terminals and ADD a Ground Cable directly to the Starter Motor.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-14-2013, 08:51 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Update from the Los Angeles chapter (and the newly merged Orange Empire/Beach cities/Inland Empire chapters); The 3, now 2 chapters met yesterday (September 14th) for our 3rd annual IDYSD together. Total of about 25 cars including 4 from the Los Angeles chapter ('07 Avanti by Marc Udoff, '41 Champion coupe by Mike Languein, '64 Cruiser by Rich Kimmell and '56 Power Hawk by Dennis Schult). As usual a great time was had by all (and we all made it home without problems this year!).
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

So what are they going to call the TWO Chapters Howard; the L.A. & OE Chapter and the IE & almost L.A. and OE Chapter?

Three divided by 2 = 1 1/2 ! ...Hmm, I can't deal with such high Math, maybe we need the Decimal Dude's help!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                So what are they going to call the TWO Chapters Howard; the L.A. & OE Chapter and the IE & almost L.A. and OE Chapter?
                I wonder if they went with this one~

"Orange Beach Inland Empire Chapter"
                Last edited by StudeDave57; 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

They DID announce the new name at lunch Saturday; unfortunately, I forgot it. Please contact Jeanne Ertl and she will provide you with the new name. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X