Thread: Packard-Baker on Pawn Stars

President Member

Packard-Baker on Pawn Stars

The guys on Pawn Stars bought a '58 Packard-Baker last night. It was mostly disassembled, but they claimed all the parts were there. The old man did not want to buy it, the seller was asking $10,000. Rick liked it because it was such a rare car and told him the best he could do was $1500, and the seller took the offer. I was expecting them to take it to their car guy to have it put together, but they didn't, at least not on this episode.

http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-st...s-fork-it-over

Pat
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 09-05-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL
    '54 Conestoga Current Project aka STU KOOL

Conestoga Project Journal: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9729183...7623379200673/
    LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    The guys on Pawn Stars bought a '58 Packard-Baker last night. It was mostly disassembled, but they claimed all the parts were there. The old man did not want to buy it, the seller was asking $10,000. Rick liked it because it was such a rare car and told him the best he could do was $1500, and the seller took the offer. I was expecting them to take it to their car guy to have it put together, but they didn't, at least not on this episode.

http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-st...s-fork-it-over

Pat

Does the "Count" do their stuff anymore since he has his own show?
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Silver Hawk Member
    Found this segment a bit annoying.......They made it sound like Packard-Baker was the actual 'factory' name for this car!

President Member
    Probably going to be a looong restoration, not like some of the other brand X's they've sent off to the shop!

That was one tough negotiator....

How much you want for it?

$10,000

I'll give you $1,500

OK...
    Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

President Member
    LOL, I guess you can ask for anything, but if you really want to sell you'll take the offer.
    John Clements
    Aussie Cat Herder
    Lockleys South Australia

Hopefully they will reassemble the car but then who knows they may turn around and sell it for $10,000.00 just as the man wanted.

That show is sooooo scripted.
    Everything is said on camera afterwards.
    Betcha a donut that's the parts car left over from the real restoration project.
    Then, miraculously, a few episodes from now, the 'restored' car will roll out of the body shop guys shop...all perfect!
    And then they will talk about coming in under budget and how much profit they will make.
    And they will act as if it was one car all along.
    All of these shows use the word profit more times than a politician says vote...
    Cynical? You betcha...... But I still like to see the things that cross their tables..
    Jeff

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Betcha a donut that's the parts car left over from the real restoration project.
    Send the doughnut up here, Jeff....if it really was "the" parts car, I think they would've grabbed the nice horn button! BP

You want sprinkles, or glaze on your donut?
    C'mon! Prove me wrong!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Send the doughnut up here, Jeff....if it really was "the" parts car, I think they would've grabbed the nice horn button! BP
    Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK

They didn't say they were going to restore it, said they were going to pass it along to someone else looking for a project.
    TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Maybe there's a spare back glass with this thing!
    Our opinions (and the resultant conclusions) may vary - Deal with it.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Then, miraculously, a few episodes from now, the 'restored' car will roll out of the body shop guys shop...all perfect!
    And then they will talk about coming in under budget and how much profit they will make.
    All of these shows use the word profit more times than a politician says vote...
    Cynical? You betcha...... But I still like to see the things that cross their tables..
    Jeff
    Well, there was that time, before they came out with that spinoff, American Restoration, where the brother of the guy from American restoration tried to sell them something - I think it was a pinball machine - which his brother and he restore routinely on American Restoration - where they, Rick from Pawn Stars and Ron Dale from American Restoration - acted like they didn't even know each other and Ron Dale acted like he was clueless.

If that episode wasn't scripted I'll eat one of my garage work shoes.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Good grief, people... It's entertainment!

Yeah - this sorta "reality" show is mushrooming of late. It almost HAS TO BE scripted. Frankly, if one or two guys were trying to make real deals while someone followed them around with cameras, they'd do damned few deals at all. I know I wouldn't even TALK to them until I had the situation explained to me completely. This echos the discussion about Max Corkins on the Pickers show. There's no way Max would've answered a knock on the door and then not slammed it once he spied the cameraman 20 feet away!
    I like to see the cool items that are featured in these shows, but I'd rather see such thru a show like Antiques Roadshow. That's much more "genuine" than any of these antique hunter teams.
    Our opinions (and the resultant conclusions) may vary - Deal with it.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscomacaw View Post
    Yeah - this sorta "reality" show is mushrooming of late. It almost HAS TO BE scripted. Frankly, if one or two guys were trying to make real deals while someone followed them around with cameras, they'd do damned few deals at all. I know I wouldn't even TALK to them until I had the situation explained to me completely. This echos the discussion about Max Corkins on the Pickers show. There's no way Max would've answered a knock on the door and then not slammed it once he spied the cameraman 20 feet away!
    I like to see the cool items that are featured in these shows, but I'd rather see such thru a show like Antiques Roadshow. That's much more "genuine" than any of these antique hunter teams.
    Well said, Bob. (I wasn't holding out much hope for a doughnut anyway.) BP

President Member
    I don't believe any of you. This stuff is perfectly real, just like professional wrestling!

'63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, toddler seat

Visit my Studebaker-specific Blog - YouStude
    My "other" blog (Stude and non-Stude stuff) - Renaissance Jim

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Quote Originally Posted by Sdude View Post
    That was one tough negotiator....

How much you want for it?

$10,000

I'll give you $1,500

OK...
    THAT was scripted? C'mon, they can't get any better writers than that?

The same production (Back Roads Entertainment) does Pawn Stars, American Restoration, and a few others.....
    Additional programs:
    JUNKies (Science), Door Knockers (DIY), Pawn Stars (History), American Restoration (History), Oddities (Science), Moving In (MTV), Setup Squad (LOGO), What the Sell?! (TLC), The Principal's Office (truTV), Bridal Bootcamp (vh1), Happily Ever Faster (TLC), Hallmark Heroes with Regis Philbin (Hallmark Channel) and InTurn (CBS/CBS.com).

Keeps the video crew working year 'round in Las Vegas...
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by hausdok View Post
    Well, there was that time, before they came out with that spinoff, American Restoration, where the brother of the guy from American restoration tried to sell them something - I think it was a pinball machine - which his brother and he restore routinely on American Restoration - where they, Rick from Pawn Stars and Ron Dale from American Restoration - acted like they didn't even know each other and Ron Dale acted like he was clueless.

If that episode wasn't scripted I'll eat one of my garage work shoes.

Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK
    Jeff
    Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

we started filming at 8am in over 100 degrees heat...and every 15 minutes a jet was flying over and we had
    to start over...this was at mc carren airport...planes are coming in all the time..we got done at 3pm...
    i had enough of it...with no pay...they cut 90% out and i tyred to negotiate..i do have the window...front
    and back for sale...and it is completely done now.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Studedude View Post
    I agree with Officer Dave!!

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight #4, April 5, 2014 Mission Accomplished
    Indy Honor Flight #5 May 10, 2014
    Mission Accomplished
    Indy Honor Flight #6
    September 6, 2014
    Indy Honor Flight #7
    October 18, 2014
    Indy Honor Flight #8
    October 25, 2014
    Indy Honor Flight #9
    November 8, 2014

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    One of the few (maybe the only?) time I've disagreed with Dave. It's NOT entertainment for me. Perhaps the OPPOSITE of entertainment. I've watched one or two episodes of these reality TV shows and found them pretty lame. They all seem to remind me of this scene from Idiocracy...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Speedster Member 57transtar guy's Avatar
    What if I told all of you that it is not scripted? Here's how it works...

You swing in with your item (most people are looky loos)

If one of the regular staff thinks its unique they call a special number that is the producer of the show

That producer schedules a revisit with the person trying to sell the item and Rick but they are not allowed to tell him what it is

Everyone shows up for the filming and Rick knows that stuff off the cuff

They have to do this because of how busy the store is so they clear everyone out except a couple people in order to film. Yes... Rick is that smart! Everyone who works there say he has some kind of degree in history but I've never met him myself.

Reality TV isn't for everyone, especially me but because I visit Vegas all the time I stay informed with that show, Danny at Count Customs and Rick from American Restorations.

Cheers

President Member
    I just sold a real nice 58 Packard sedan last week. I have to admit I miss the car and am going through withdrawal. These cars grow on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    One of the few (maybe the only?) time I've disagreed with Dave. It's NOT entertainment for me. Perhaps the OPPOSITE of entertainment. I've watched one or two episodes of these reality TV shows and found them pretty lame.
    We are not that far apart, Dick. I meant, "Entertainment" in the sense of, "Not to be taken seriously."

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    We are not that far apart, Dick. I meant "Entertainment" in the sense of "Not to be taken seriously."
    (sigh of relief).

OK, we're back to zero times I've disagreed with you.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

I really cant stand Pawn Stars and have no idea why the show is even still on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    (sigh of relief).

OK, we're back to zero times I've disagreed with you.

The last restorers show I saw a customer brought in an old pos Coke machine he wanted restored. At the end of the show they brought out a different model machine restored and passed it off as the same machine the customer brought in! I haven't watched it since.

The packardbaker that was on pawn stars, will be in laughlin nv,museum january///

Good for you, Bill. She's a TV star, too.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

I have a hard time thinking Rick is that smart off the cuff.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I have a hard time thinking Rick is that smart off the cuff.
    Nah I doubt he is. The show is completely scripted and the acting is terrible.

Don't get me wrong, he's probably plenty smart but he rattles of historical facts about particular pieces which I think he must have had a chance to bone up on ahead of time. I imagine he has a very good idea when looking at something what the value is even if he has not seen it before after looking at thousands of things. But I be 5 to 10% of the time he has to look it up...perhaps more.
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 09-25-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

The magic is in the editing. All the stupid stuff is on the cutting room floor. Same with music recording. Few live bands can sound like a studio recording, but some do! Those guys have my respect.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

If you read his book he seems very candid about his past and also of Corey, the Old Man and Chumlee. Several of them had issue with drugs in the past and how difficult it was to overcome it and turn things around. Rick is a voracious reader of history and gained a lot of knowledge that way...though is he often incorrect on some points of what he ways. He's cocky but maybe he's earned it the hard way.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

President Member
    It gives me hope that I can buy A Studebaker someone wants $20,000 for and they will take $3000. (I don't really believe that will ever happen !)

Watched it once and concluded there is nothing real about "Reality T.V."

Dick

I stopped watching that show when I found out they stage a lot of items.. In other words "Fake!"

For instance, the episode where they buy the 67 Cobra Body and have the renowned Cobra restores in Vegas put it back together.
    At the end they show them driving it..

If you go to Shelby Cars in LV, that "rare Cobra" is still sitting there, bare body as it was in the episode.

I'm having too much fun with my own reality, I don't have time to watch "Reality TV," which isn't real at all..

President Member studebaker-R2-4-me's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warrlaw1 View Post
    The magic is in the editing. All the stupid stuff is on the cutting room floor. Same with music recording. Few live bands can sound like a studio recording, but some do! Those guys have my respect.
    Dave,

If you like live bands that sound like their recordings on stage, you have make a point of seeing Alison Krauss and Union Station. They blew me away a couple of years ago when I went to see them at Chautauqua Institution in western NY State. They are a very talented group of 5 musicians.

As for reality TV, the home improvement shows on HDTV really bother me. I can't believe what these "magicians" can do renovating and decorating spaces on shoestring budgets. I quit watching knowing that material costs take up the entire renovation budget on most of these shows.

Allen

1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter mile

Oakville, Ontario .
    Hamilton Chapter