1950 studie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 studie

Hi guys can anyone tell me is there a website I can use to see what the difference is between the 1950 bullet nose studebaker commander's ???

http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/ID...erModels4.html The body tags and trim codes on the car would help ID it too.

Comment

Not sure what models you are trying to separate from others, but when it comes to spotting a '50 Commander, the first and most noticable thing to look for is those LARGE Headlight Rings with larger Parking Lights in them.
      All '50 Commanders and Commander Land Cruisers have those, and '50 Champions and all 1951's do not.

Also, due to the Big Commander Six engine the entire front clip: hood, fenders etc. are longer on '50 Commanders.
      Hope this helps.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
        http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/ID...erModels4.html The body tags and trim codes on the car would help ID it too.
        That's helpfull shame the pictures ain't clearer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Not sure what models you are trying to separate from others, but when it comes to spotting a '50 Commander, the first and most noticable thing to look for is those LARGE Headlight Rings with larger Parking Lights in them.
          All '50 Commanders and Commander Land Cruisers have those, and '50 Champions and all 1951's do not.

Also, due to the Big Commander Six engine the entire front clip: hood, fenders etc. are longer on '50 Commanders.
          Hope this helps.
          This helps as well , are the hood emblems the same and the chrome strip on the front fenders do they light up ???

Comment

Originally posted by Rooneytoons View Post
            This helps as well , are the hood emblems the same and the chrome strip on the front fenders do they light up ???
            It depends on your definition of emblem.

The hood emblems, the painted brass coat of arms just above the bullet nose, are the same.

The hood ornaments, made of chrome and clear plastic are different. The Champion has a clear vertical fin, while the Commander had a horizontal clear plastic spear or dildo.

The fender ornaments, which were standard on the Commander/Land Cruiser only do NOT light up. I must have been asked that question a hundred times when I first got my 50 Commander 40 years ago.

The instrument panels are different. The Commander/Land Cruiser has three large round clusters that, from left to right, hold the gauges, the speedometer, and the clock or clock blank off. The Champions have one half round cluster that has the speedometer in the center and top and the gauges alongside each side.

The Commander/Land Cruiser has 5 lug wheels, while the Champion has 4 lugs per wheel.

If you can look under the hood, there is an ID plate on the firewall, on the right side of the car, that tells everything about the car and it is in BIG letters/numbers so it is easy to see.

17A means Commander/land Cruiser and 9G means Champion. The letter tells the body style/coachwork, and more. If you can tell us what this plate says, we will all know a lot more about the car.

The Commander/Land cruiser cars have two criss-crossed steel rod braces between the firewall and the upper radiator mount to help support the extra weight of the extra long front fenders and hood
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-30-2012, 02:47 PM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Rooneytoons View Post
              what the difference is between the 1950 bullet nose studebaker commander's ???
              Sean,
              As I read it, your question is strictly about 1950 Commanders. Is that correct?

The "bullet nose" Studebakers were built in 1950 and 1951, in Land Cruiser, Commander and Champion models.
              The Land Cruiser was a long wheelbase luxury four door sedan with an extra wing vent window in the back doors and a Commander drive train.
              The Commander was equipped with the more powerful engine (245 cid L-head six in 1950 and 232 V-8 in 1951).
              The Champion had a small 170 cid L-head six. Commander and Champion were both built in a variety of body styles: convertible, 2-door sedan, 4-door sedan, 3-passenger business coupe, 5-passenger Starlight Coupe; and both models also in a variety of trim levels.

There were a variety of styling changes between 1950 and 1951 that make them easy to tell apart.

Perhaps we can be more help if we can narrow down your question.
              Last edited by rockne10; 08-30-2012, 05:29 PM.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

What it is guys is Im about to import a commander into England from America and I'm just collecting info on the different commander models , I've asked the guy to send me a photo of the I'd plate so i can confirm which model it is , I do know from what I've read here that it's a 5 passenger model ( I think ha ha ) the reason is to give the ppl who register cars here in england as much info as I can about the car as it will have a brand new title (V5 log book here)
                You guys have been a great help

Comment

The 5 passenger model is also called a starlight coupe. It was the styling sensation of the day, with a four piece rear window that wrapped all the way around the car. That window, along with the bullet nose, made the car one of the most distinctively styled cars available in 1950.

If yours truly is a 50 Commander starlight coupe, you have quite an impressive machine in your automotive stable. Congratulations.

The body tag should start with 17A-C something. 17A is 50 Commander and C is starlight coupe.

Please let us know what the body tag says when you find out.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Last edited by rockne10; 08-31-2012, 05:11 PM.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Will a coupe fit only 5 people and will a sedan 6 and if so whyscome? Also, will 3 adults fit into the seat of a business coupe? cheers jimmijim
                      Last edited by jimmijim8; 08-31-2012, 05:32 PM.
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                        Will a coupe fit only 5 people and will a sedan 6 and if so whyscome? Also, will 3 adults fit into the seat of a business coupe? cheers jimmijim
                        The Starlight Coupes have two large deep and wide rear armrests with secret storage compartments under the hinged lids, the seat is narrower than a 2 dr. Sedan that seats 6. Convertibles are also 5 Pass.

Front seats are all the same so Business Coupes and all models hold 3.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-31-2012, 09:29 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, Jim; depending on their likeability. No if any of them are named Chris Christie.

Now...if they happen to be really skinny...the limit will only depend on how skinny they really are.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Here's another one guys is the width of all the commanders the same ??? Just under 67 inches ???

Comment

The body is the same on Champion and Commander from the firewall back. The widest part of the car is the bulge in the front of the rear fender.

When do we get to see pictures of the car? You must have seen a picture to buy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X