Thread: 1950 studie

1950 studie

Hi guys can anyone tell me is there a website I can use to see what the difference is between the 1950 bullet nose studebaker commander's ???

http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/ID...erModels4.html The body tags and trim codes on the car would help ID it too.

Golden Hawk Member
    Not sure what models you are trying to separate from others, but when it comes to spotting a '50 Commander, the first and most noticable thing to look for is those LARGE Headlight Rings with larger Parking Lights in them.
    All '50 Commanders and Commander Land Cruisers have those, and '50 Champions and all 1951's do not.

Also, due to the Big Commander Six engine the entire front clip: hood, fenders etc. are longer on '50 Commanders.
    Hope this helps.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Quote Originally Posted by (S) View Post
    http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/ID...erModels4.html The body tags and trim codes on the car would help ID it too.
    That's helpfull shame the pictures ain't clearer

Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Not sure what models you are trying to separate from others, but when it comes to spotting a '50 Commander, the first and most noticable thing to look for is those LARGE Headlight Rings with larger Parking Lights in them.
    All '50 Commanders and Commander Land Cruisers have those, and '50 Champions and all 1951's do not.

Also, due to the Big Commander Six engine the entire front clip: hood, fenders etc. are longer on '50 Commanders.
    Hope this helps.
    This helps as well , are the hood emblems the same and the chrome strip on the front fenders do they light up ???

Quote Originally Posted by Rooneytoons View Post
    This helps as well , are the hood emblems the same and the chrome strip on the front fenders do they light up ???
    It depends on your definition of emblem.

The hood emblems, the painted brass coat of arms just above the bullet nose, are the same.

The hood ornaments, made of chrome and clear plastic are different. The Champion has a clear vertical fin, while the Commander had a horizontal clear plastic spear or dildo.

The fender ornaments, which were standard on the Commander/Land Cruiser only do NOT light up. I must have been asked that question a hundred times when I first got my 50 Commander 40 years ago.

The instrument panels are different. The Commander/Land Cruiser has three large round clusters that, from left to right, hold the gauges, the speedometer, and the clock or clock blank off. The Champions have one half round cluster that has the speedometer in the center and top and the gauges alongside each side.

The Commander/Land Cruiser has 5 lug wheels, while the Champion has 4 lugs per wheel.

If you can look under the hood, there is an ID plate on the firewall, on the right side of the car, that tells everything about the car and it is in BIG letters/numbers so it is easy to see.

17A means Commander/land Cruiser and 9G means Champion. The letter tells the body style/coachwork, and more. If you can tell us what this plate says, we will all know a lot more about the car.

The Commander/Land cruiser cars have two criss-crossed steel rod braces between the firewall and the upper radiator mount to help support the extra weight of the extra long front fenders and hood
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-30-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

what the difference is between the 1950 bullet nose studebaker commander's ???
    Sean,
    As I read it, your question is strictly about 1950 Commanders. Is that correct?

The "bullet nose" Studebakers were built in 1950 and 1951, in Land Cruiser, Commander and Champion models.
    The Land Cruiser was a long wheelbase luxury four door sedan with an extra wing vent window in the back doors and a Commander drive train.
    The Commander was equipped with the more powerful engine (245 cid L-head six in 1950 and 232 V-8 in 1951).
    The Champion had a small 170 cid L-head six. Commander and Champion were both built in a variety of body styles: convertible, 2-door sedan, 4-door sedan, 3-passenger business coupe, 5-passenger Starlight Coupe; and both models also in a variety of trim levels.

There were a variety of styling changes between 1950 and 1951 that make them easy to tell apart.

Perhaps we can be more help if we can narrow down your question.
    Last edited by rockne10; 08-30-2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

What it is guys is Im about to import a commander into England from America and I'm just collecting info on the different commander models , I've asked the guy to send me a photo of the I'd plate so i can confirm which model it is , I do know from what I've read here that it's a 5 passenger model ( I think ha ha ) the reason is to give the ppl who register cars here in england as much info as I can about the car as it will have a brand new title (V5 log book here)
    You guys have been a great help

The 5 passenger model is also called a starlight coupe. It was the styling sensation of the day, with a four piece rear window that wrapped all the way around the car. That window, along with the bullet nose, made the car one of the most distinctively styled cars available in 1950.

If yours truly is a 50 Commander starlight coupe, you have quite an impressive machine in your automotive stable. Congratulations.

The body tag should start with 17A-C something. 17A is 50 Commander and C is starlight coupe.

Please let us know what the body tag says when you find out.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Last edited by rockne10; 08-31-2012 at 08:11 PM.

President Member
    Will a coupe fit only 5 people and will a sedan 6 and if so whyscome? Also, will 3 adults fit into the seat of a business coupe? cheers jimmijim
    Last edited by jimmijim8; 08-31-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmijim8 View Post
    Will a coupe fit only 5 people and will a sedan 6 and if so whyscome? Also, will 3 adults fit into the seat of a business coupe? cheers jimmijim
    The Starlight Coupes have two large deep and wide rear armrests with secret storage compartments under the hinged lids, the seat is narrower than a 2 dr. Sedan that seats 6. Convertibles are also 5 Pass.

Front seats are all the same so Business Coupes and all models hold 3.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-01-2012 at 12:29 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Yes, Jim; depending on their likeability. No if any of them are named Chris Christie.

Now...if they happen to be really skinny...the limit will only depend on how skinny they really are.

Here's another one guys is the width of all the commanders the same ??? Just under 67 inches ???

The body is the same on Champion and Commander from the firewall back. The widest part of the car is the bulge in the front of the rear fender.

When do we get to see pictures of the car? You must have seen a picture to buy it.

Ok guys had a photo of the plate today it reads. 17A-C3 608

I will upload some photos when I have the car signed over to me I wouldn't want someone else putting in an offer before I get chance to drive it etc etc

She's a Commander Starlight!!! The trim code (3) would be deluxe?
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Quote Originally Posted by warrlaw1 View Post
    She's a Commander Starlight!!! The trim code (3) would be deluxe?
    Cheers mate I did find this out earlier on today via this website http://hem.bredband.net/b284654/project/1950_2.htm
    But thanks for your input do you know what the 608 number is all about

608 is the sequential number of the body from the weld shop. It's a rough indicator of when it was welded up relative to the whole year's production. Once you find out how many were produced in (in this case) 1950, you will know about when in the sequence it was welded. It does not infer when the car was built, just when the body was welded.
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan....back on the road, again....
    '05 Subaru Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    608 is the sequential number of the body from the weld shop. It's a rough indicator of when it was welded up relative to the whole year's production. Once you find out how many were produced in (in this case) 1950, you will know about when in the sequence it was welded. It does not infer when the car was built, just when the body was welded.
    There was 4,383 produced

Champion Member
    Good morning all! Now I can figure out what mine is thanks to this 77 Iron 50 stude 006.jpg
    Thread..I hope 9G-F1 15429 says on tag.
    Last edited by C.C.; 09-23-2012 at 11:00 AM.

9G = 50 Champion
    F = two door sedan
    1 = "custom" trim level (a stripped down model introduced in mid-year in order to offer a lower priced car to compete with the big three price wise) It was called a custom, but that did not mean it was customized by anyone.

15429 = 15429th two door body built in 1950

My first Studebaker was a 9G-F1.

Champion Member
    Thank You Sir! This is my first also..Swapped one of my Harleys for Her..

President Member
    That looks pretty slick, i like it!
    Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by johnod View Post
    That looks pretty slick, i like it!
    Congrats.
    Thank you as of Monday morning it will be starting its journey to England

Nice, with just a bit of customizing. Do you know yet if it has the original engine, or if that has been swapped, and if so, for what? Also, I just bought a car like this and am looking at different wheels at a later date. Do you know what size rims are on your car yet? Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by deco_droid View Post
    Nice, with just a bit of customizing. Do you know yet if it has the original engine, or if that has been swapped, and if so, for what? Also, I just bought a car like this and am looking at different wheels at a later date. Do you know what size rims are on your car yet? Thanks...
    The only thing I can tell you at the mo is its all on corvette running gear engine 350 trans 700r

Thanks. Drop back by with more photos if you get a chance.

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
    Regal Deluxe Trim
    Automatic transmission
    46k original miles, 4th Owner