Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana 44 Ring & Pinion swap questions, Carrier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Dana 44 Ring & Pinion swap questions, Carrier?

Somewhere in the back of my mellon, something tells me to keep used carriers with their ring and pinion sets. Were these machined 'together;? Or is it that there were 'ranges' or different ratios that only fit certain ones, like the housings?

My question is: I found some new and used sets for some really rare gear combos, and I was wondering what to do if there are no carriers with them. Are they still useable?

Thanks
    Last edited by (S); 08-30-2012, 09:03 AM. Reason: 'ratios'

No, carriers and ring gears weren't machined together, so yes, your new R/P sets are fine to sell.

Yes, 2.88-3.73 ratios used one carrier and 3.90-6.33 used a different carrier.

Within those two families any carrier can be used with any ring and pinion.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Thats good news, I have been looking for this thing for years!

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
        Thats good news, I have been looking for this thing for years!
        Depending on the ratio you are buying versus the one you have now, your tranny may need a different speedometer drive gear.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The issue with the Dana 44 style is that the pinion depth and the backlash need to be adjusted properly. This is done with shims. What you might have heard is to keep the shims with the gearset for a specific housing. That would facilitate re-installation without the challenging task of properly setting the shims. My sunbeam Tiger has the Dana 44 and with tight fitting bearing races replacing the gearset was something I do not desire to do again.

Heating the carrier, freezing the race, guessing on the shims and rushing the depth measurement (maybe 10 seconds) still required pounding the race out (because of course the shims were wrong). The backlash setting requires a case spreader. I've included pictures simply to encourage you to use some identification of commonality of the gearset and the carrier and to keep the shims properly associated with their locations. If this is a replacement due to damaged gears,well, that's another story. But, you never know if the gears are good that you may choose to re-install them someday.

Tom
          Attached Files
          Last edited by wittsend; 08-30-2012, 08:23 PM.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
          X