64 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Avanti

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a 64 Avanti with just over 12000 orig. miles on it. It is an R2 with auto trans. Having done research with past owners I found that the car sat under an open roof in Arizona for approx. 20 years. It no longer has the supercharged 289 original motor in it. When I bought it the motor had been swapped for a 259 cu in. 4 brl v-8 and also has what looks like factory AC. I am trying to come up with a value for the car as I am going to put it up for sale. I'm not sure whether I am in the correct part of the SDC forum to ask for some guidance in doing so. Can someone out there kind of steer me in the right direction in the forum or give me some advice on how to value such a low mileage car but without the original motor, please. Thanks

Even with low miles, the condition will determine its value...especially since it doesn't have its original motor (obviously, the value of a low-miles car lies in part in its engine having low miles).
    What kind of shape is the body and interior in? Any rust (I know it was in AZ, but you have to ask)?
    Paint...and especially interior...are awfully expensive to replace and will have huge impact on price.
    I dare say that if the interior/dash is really shot from being in the open in AZ for 20 years, without its original motor, you might be looking at parts car value.

If it was an R-2, it would not have had factory AC....

There are two Studebaker experts in Spokane, both post here. One could tell you about engine issues, the other restores Avantis (among others).

I've sent private messages to them both asking them to read this thread and help you if they can.

If nothing else, I can provide a contact for the Club Avanti Northwest...if you want to sell it, they may know of someone in the market.

Welcome and good luck.
    Last edited by JBOYLE; 08-29-2012, 07:50 PM.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Joe, it would be very helpful to have current photos of your car posted. Also, is this a running and driving car or does it require repair....more information the better.

Good luck!
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
        A big help would be photos of the interior, exterior, the underside of the car and the engine. It would be very difficult to appraise without some kind of visual idea of condition.
        Rob

Comment

I am trying to come up with a value for the car as I am going to put it up for sale. . . . Can someone out there kind of steer me in the right direction in the forum or give me some advice on how to value such a low mileage car but without the original motor, please.
          Hi, Joe,

The value of an Avanti is what someone is willing to pay for your car on that day. I'll be glad to look at it and give you my thoughts. However, most who tell one an old car is worth big bucks aren't putting their money where their mouth is.

The only way to know the real value is clean it up, take good photos, write an accurate description, put it out on eBay and see what happens. Anything else is just a WAG.

One other factor to consider is for the larger markets east of the Mississippi, Spokane is on the arse-end of nowhere and many buyers tend to be scared of long-haul transportation costs. Even though it will only cost $1000-$1500 to get it anywhere in the US, that's just one more reason/excuse not to bid on a car up here.

Always ready to look at another Avanti. Give me a PM and we'll get together.

jack vines
          Last edited by PackardV8; 08-29-2012, 08:02 PM.
          PackardV8

Comment

It came from the factory as an R2 (R5307). I am guessing when the motor was swapped they put AC on it. All the controls and vents on the console look like factory so they went to a lot of trouble to make it look original. Surprisingly the interior is in very good shape. Dash looks almost new, unholstery and door panels are in great shape except the top of the pass. seatback is partly discolored. It needs a headliner and carpets and has a small chip in the woodgrain on the ash tray cover. The only flaws I can find on the body are vertical 5 in. cracks above both rear wheels. Bumpers still have decent chrome and are straight. I can find no rust and the hog troughs are good. The car is black (original color was white with burgandy interior) and it is definetly a 20 footer in need of a paint job. Original hubcaps are in great shape. It has an aftermarket radio in it and the auto antennae works fine. A/C pump engages but does not blow cold so possibly might just need a chargel. Has all of the radio suppresor pieces on the motor. All in all I think it would make a great candidate for restoration if a person could come up with a original supercharged 289. It does run and drive with all the lights and guages working. It could probably use tires as I dont know how old the ones on it are but they have tread and hold air.
            Thanks so much for possibly getting me hooked up with someone here who may be of assistance. I am moving to Portland in a few months is the reason I am selling it. I will try and get some pictures posted in the next day or two. Other than the headliner, carpets and dark area on top of pass. seat it looks real good inside. Glass is all good except someone who didn't do a good job tried to tint them but with that taken off the glass would be fine. Thanks again guys

Comment

Thanks Jack,

The car is out in Spangle at a friends shop where I can work on it. I am going back out there tomorrow to put it up on the lift for an oil change, fluid check, etc. As soon as I figure out how to send a PM I'll give you my number.
              Last edited by justjoe; 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Jack, I sent a private message but it said you would have to clear some space before my message could be sent to you

Comment

pictures of R5307, my 64 R2 Avanti

First time trying to load pictures to this site. I hope it works!
                  [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1675372[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just Joe please don't take my observation personal. You do under stand with out the R2 engine set up it is not really an R2 needs a lot to be an R2 again perhaps several thousand plus dollars . I would think this car as it sets on a very good day may bring $6000.00 . There has been a strong running 289 Avanti in very good condition, rebuilt engine tranny, many NOS parts including carpet and seat cover set, for $7500.00 here in phoenix for a while. Those cracks matching on both sides probably not good, could indicate frame damage or a rear end impact, fiberglass is touchy stuff. The top of the dash looks odd. Drive the car to Portland it may be worth more there. Enjoy the car have some fun with it drive it even with the 259 still a very cool car.
                    Last edited by K-Hawk; 08-31-2012, 11:49 PM.

Comment

To: justjoe,----You own a VERY interesting Studebaker Avanti. I believe it may have the rare and desireable oxblood interior with a tilt steering wheel.....And don't discount that nice little 259CI engine too quickly......
                      some folks feel it's the best V8 Studebaker ever produced....and it's also very contemporary with today's fuel prices and all! Good luck with Your Avanti.

Comment

Nice looking car. Hopefully you'll bring it to the next SDC chapter meeting here.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

hello is this avanti sold?

Comment

PackardV8

Comment

think its worth 12000?

Comment

Working...