Pics: Studebakers in Indiana State Police archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics: Studebakers in Indiana State Police archives

'Never can tell where an evening out may conclude.

Wife and I went to a Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana Event last Thursday evening, July 19, at the Foundation's downtown Indianapolis location. This was a "then and now" lecture involving a book of Indiana Victorian homes photographed and published in 1962. They would show photos from the 1962 book and then show what the properties looked like today. Of course, some were now under the Interstate Highway system through downtown Indianapolis, whereas others were nicely restored, etc.

There was a reception afterwords so attendees could meet the presenter, the son of the gentleman who had done the photography and published the 1962 book.

We didn't know anyone and I noticed a fellow off to one side not talking to anyone, so I approached him and engaged him in conversation. He knew a little about the restored church in which the foundation's offices are now located, where we were, because he works security at the building. In fact, although he was nicely dressed in suit and tie, it turned out he was an Indiana State Policeman working undercover security at the event!

We got to talking about old buildings and I mentioned having just been to the Packard Plant in Detroit. One thing led to another and before long, we discovered each other's interest in collector cars. 'Turns out he has three 1955 DeSotos, one a Sportsman hardtop and two parts cars, and a nice 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire convertible. (Since he works undercover plainclothes security, I'd better not mention his name.)

Further, he is involved with Indiana State Police history and had a couple of Indiana State Police photographs involving Studebakers they wanted to identify! We exchanged e-mail addresses and I've since been able to provide him with several Studebaker Police Car specs and photos from back when.

He forwarded several Indiana State Police Studebaker photos for positive model ID. I asked permission to put them on our forum and he said that was fine, that credit to Indiana State Police Archives would appreciated, so the Archives are hereby so credited, and thanked.

The first photo is of a 1932 Rockne 65 coupe, of all things, photographed in front of The Studebaker Administration Building. (Dick Quinn confirmed the car's identity):

The next three photos are, surprisingly, an early 1953 Commander Coupe(!) being used as an Indiana State Police Safety Education car.

He said of the Commander:

Way back when, they were called Safety Education Officers. Since the 1960s, they are our Public Information Officers. They are the Sergeants who make public appearances to promote safety and the ISP, and do the press/TV releases.

Finally, a 1962 Lark Wagon from their files:

We will be staying in touch, so I hope to have more photos to share as we exchange information. 'Might even be able to work this into a Turning Wheels article. We'll see.

(Ah, the benefits of attending a Victorian Home lecture, eh? Whoda' thunk it?) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 07-23-2012, 09:27 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Only you, Bob! Who else could turn what sounds like a "Husband Hostage" event (historical building lecture?) into a great Studebaker adventure!

Not only am I awaiting the Turning Wheels presentation, but the accompanying cover photo's!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Bob

I've seen photos of Indiana State Police Safety Education car that was a new Cord 810 sedan. Really neat. They obvioulsy liked local marques.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        Only you, Bob! Who else could turn what sounds like a "Husband Hostage" event (historical building lecture?) into a great Studebaker adventure!

Not only am I awaiting the Turning Wheels presentation, but the accompanying cover photo's!
        Actually, John; it was my idea(!) to attend the lecture, and called it to Cari's attention when I got the e-mail notice about it coming up.

Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana had just moved into the beautifully-restored but ancient Central Avenue Methodist Church building in downtown Indianapolis. It was like any of those old, downtown, big-city behemoths that had fallen into disrepair as the neighborhood "changed." It was a magnificent place but no congregation could afford to maintain it.

Enter William Cook, reportedly the wealthiest man in Indiana when he died last year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Cook_(entrepreneur)

Mr. Cook had an interest in historic preservation and poured what had to be a million dollars or more into stabilizing and restoring that building so it could be the new home of Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana. Cari and I had not seen the newly-restored structure except from elevated Interstate 65 that goes through downtown Indianapolis close to that building.

So we wanted to see the building as much as see the presentation!

Little did I know about what would be the connection to Studebaker / Indiana State Police vehicles, of course! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Actually, John; it was my idea(!) to attend the lecture...BP
          I suppose I let my over active imagination get the best of me. I could see you and Cari as the couple in the old Bob Newhart sitcom and eyes rolling behind your back as you elbowed your way into swerving the conversation toward Studebaker! I made my snarky post and exited the house to continue working on my man cave roof...until a big black storm cloud snuck up from behind.

I scrambled back down and came in to find that you had made this confession.
          Kudo's to you...takes a real man!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If you check out eBay you may find the '53 toy that of the above car that was issued a several years ago.
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

Thanks for solving the mystery, Bob!! > http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=education

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
                If you check out eBay you may find the '53 toy that of the above car that was issued a several years ago.
                Gary,
                I have a 1/43 Brooklin model of this vehicle I picked up in South Bend some years ago with the Indiana State Police decals on the doors plus the sirens & light on the turret. A real neat model.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
                X