62 hawk alternator conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 62 hawk alternator conversion

I have a 62 hawk and would like to switch from generator to alternator. I am sure I am not the first person to do this and I could not find anything on the site about doing this. I do not know that much about electric so I need clear instructions, what alternator to buy, if I need a new bracket and where to get that, and where the wires go. I have read about one wire and three wires. Pictures or drawings help a whole lot.

Read this:

Comment

Two threads:

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Thanks for the great information. Great web site. It appears that my generator bracket had been modified to fit a GM 10 Alternator and for some reason they went back to a generator. They just built a NAPA store a mile a way so will pop in on those guys so see about getting the alternator.

Comment

OK I see from this thread that you have a 62 Hawk. I would use a 1 wire Toyota type. The GM is larger and harder to fit right. The brackets that you can buy for about $20-40 for the Chevy type conversion puts the studs and one nut too close to the mounting ear. Toyota is an easier install but you may have to make your own brackets. Here at the Long Beach Swap meet the Chrome Toyota 1 wire is $100. Also can be bought from Galaxie Parts. If you want their contact info I can put it up for you.

Comment

GM alternater needs this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/DA-Plug-6V-1...item5645cfa3c7

Comment

Couple pics of my set up

Comment

Plug for rear of the GM alternator is available at most auto parts stores. Got mine at Napa.
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

53 com, In the second pic. of post #7 is the bracket I was talking about. I have seen that bracket in the $20 to $40 price range. See you used bolts rather than studs like Stude used to. Same bracket can be used for the Toyota set up and with the slotted adjustments can be moved forward.

Comment

Got pics of the Toyota installation?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      53 com, In the second pic. of post #7 is the bracket I was talking about. I have seen that bracket in the $20 to $40 price range. See you used bolts rather than studs like Stude used to. Same bracket can be used for the Toyota set up and with the slotted adjustments can be moved forward.
                      I had to modify that bracket and in hindsight it's not worth buying the kit. (I paid $30.00) With the kit done the way they say you end up with a giant frankenstein bracket that is ugly as heck and also the upper bracket doesn't work. I had to use bolts because the front one would interfere with the lower alt. bolt.

Comment

Just ordered teh alternator. Set up will be like yours. I do have another question. Will my amp meter still work? I am single wire and according to something a read that single wire goes to teh battery. The other wire is ground. What is the plug you are talking about at the back. Where does teh diod go? Not sure I spelled that but you know what I mean? Electric on a car is the one area I do not know much about.

Comment

If you checked the earlier post there is a diagram and where the diode goes.

Dan White
                          64 R1 GT
                          64 R2 GT
                          58 C Cab
                          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Comment

The plug on the back with the diode in it is for the 3 wire alternator.

Comment

Working...
                              X