Steering wheel mount doesn't seem right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Steering wheel mount doesn't seem right

My steering wheel seems to drag on the cup behind it at the top of the column. The 3/4 ring in the wheel that trips the turn signal seems to be also rubbing on the stationary ring at the top of the column.

These two issues suggest that the swedge fit of the wheel to shaft is worn or too low. The answer would appear to shim the wheel an eighth of an inch but shimming a swedge doesn't look possible.

Am I missing something like a bushing or bearing?

There is a clamp at the bottom of the steering column underhood on the top of the gearbox. Loosen that and also the U bolt under the dash and the column tube can be moved up/down a bit. But, if this is a recent new problem I would wonder what could have caused it to move....

Jeff in ND

Comment

History of vehicle is unknown and restore is nearly complete. We're now down to details such as this.

Comment

Jeff... Followed your advice. However, the steering column was against the steering box so movement in the needed direction was not an option. So, I filed and sanded about 3/16" off the cup that holds the turn signal and butts against the steering wheel, remounted the wheel and pulled the column up to position and tightened it down. I then re-adjusted the shift linkage as the slightest movement of the column impacts the linkage.

Comment

To: mmagic,------- Sounds like you solved the problem........but I must say 3/16" sounds like a lot to shave!

Comment

Did you loosen the 3 bolts that hold the steering box to the frame? There is about 2" of movement at the dash with the slotted holes in the frame.

Comment

I didn't realize how much I had removed until I reseated the wheel (temporarily) but the benefit is that room was created to adjust the steering column to an optimal point. The exercise provided opportunity to clean up the turn signal switch assembly and to re-lube the steering shaft bushing.

I never thought of moving the steering box!

Comment

Working...
              X