Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

58 Packard restomod....Please don't shoot me..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Packard restomod....Please don't shoot me..

I am seriously considering a modern chassis and drive train for my wagon. I was wondering if anyone has any input or interest in the leftover parts that will be generated or any clue on the value of a really good running LS engine?? It's not supercharged,just has the 4 barrell on it. Also available will be the 2 speed trans and rear axle as well as the chassis.

It really is a three-speed transmission, Daffy, even though you may only feel one shift in Drive, from Second to Third. It only starts out in First if you floor it hard when the light turns green, kicking it down to First, or if you pull it down into Low.

If it is a Florida car with an unusually-good frame (not eaten by the salty air), that could have some value to folks building cars of that era.

Don't throw anything out. If the 289 runs, someobody in that quadrant of the country wants it...or even if it doesn't run, for that matter. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What kinda deal you looking to get for the engine and tranny? bomarkham@embarqmail.com
      Bo

Comment

Originally posted by bomarkham View Post
        What kinda deal you looking to get for the engine and tranny? bomarkham@embarqmail.com
        I'm not sure. I was hoping to get some opinions on it before I put a price on it. I'm not gonna be too greedy about it though.

Comment

To: Daffy427,-----For what it's worth, that LS engine was heavily 'freshened up' about 25 years ago.

Comment

Daffy, I have has an LS1 motor and 4L60E trans in my 53 for 6+ years and I love it. Jon Stalnaker has a 5.3 in his 51 Sedan and in his 49 2R pick up and he is very happy. He can drive them anywhere, both are now air conditioned, and he gets great enjoyment from driving them. The 5.3 motors have plenty of power to meet most needs, 285-315 HP. They have been putting them in trucks and SUVs since 1999 and there are literally millions of them available. They will last 200,000+ miles so even if you find one with 100,000 miles it still has a lot of use left in it if it is in good condition. You can usually find one for $1000-1500 and it will come with a 60-90 day warranty. Or you can buy a crate engine from GM complete with harness for about $5k. Those come with a 3 year warranty. There is a pretty big aftermarket supporting engine swaps using these motors into just about any car you can imagine. You can maintain a stock appearance and have the drive-ability of a modern car if you chose. If you are going to go away from Studebaker power, I recommend the LS platform.

PS, Just read SN-60s post made while I was typing mine. Referring to a Stude/Packard 289 as an LS is something new to me. I thought you were asking about replacing your Stude motor with a modern LS motor.
            Last edited by Pat Dilling; 07-12-2012, 01:57 PM.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              It really is a three-speed transmission, Daffy, even though you may only feel one shift in Drive, from Second to Third. It only starts out in First if you floor it hard when the light turns green, kicking it down to First, or if you pull it down into Low.

If it is a Florida car with an unusually-good frame (not eaten by the salty air), that could have some value to folks building cars of that era.

Don't throw anything out. If the 289 runs, someobody in that quadrant of the country wants it...or even if it doesn't run, for that matter. [COLOR=black]BP[/COLO
              My frame isn't great,it has some rust thru in the back and the rear springs are garbage,the front end creaks and the transmission leaks. Those factors and the fact that I want AC,cruise and disc brakes are making me lean towards the newer stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                PS, Just read SN-60s post made while I was typing mine. Referring to a Stude/Packard 289 as an LS is something new to me. I thought you were asking about replacing your Stude motor with a modern LS motor.
                LS refers to a supercharged Packard engine, as used in 1957 Packards and 1958 Packard Hawks. LS being the first two letters of the engine number, similar to RS and JTS. That engine block is not correct for the car that it is in.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  LS refers to a supercharged Packard engine, as used in 1957 Packards and 1958 Packard Hawks. LS being the first two letters of the engine number, similar to RS and JTS. That engine block is not correct for the car that it is in.
                  Thanks Gary
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Your car is one of 159 built with probably less than a dozen survivors. You'll certainly get under a lot of skin if you decide to rod it. It would be a lot easier to rebuild the mechanicals of what's currently there, that's for sure. AC (Vintage air makes a complete kit), disc brakes (Jim Turner makes a complete kit), and cruise control can be added to what you have, and a lot easier/cheaper than putting total modern guts under the body.

I'd rebuild the original suspension and add the after market AC and disc brakes. But that's just me.

If you do decide to rod it, at least do it well. That said, I know of two '55-56 two door Stude wagons that were mated up with 80's El Camino frames. Neither car has seen it past the mock up stage and I think one ended up being parted out. I can't think of any other cases where a newer chassis was put under a Stude sedan or wagon.
                    Last edited by mbstude; 07-12-2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I have a field of Studebakers with no future as original cars. Most were heavily parted out, but some are abandoned rod projects. It is amazing that you would think that a massive project like you are considering would be preferable to investing in a frame repair, new springs and a front end rebuild. After that an upgrade to Turner brakes and aftermarket cruise and air would give your car a great rebirth for a fraction of the headaches and a high probability of success.

As for the value of the old chassis and drivetrain, you will do well to get scrap value. The rodders have created a glut of those parts. I once bought them when they turned up locally but now I won't take them unless they are free and close. Just my 2 cents.
                      34 Dictator
                      47 M5 Pickup
                      48 Commander Convertible
                      50 2R10 Pickup
                      56 Packard Patrician
                      63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

Comment

Work with what you've got. Front end "creak" correction will cost you less than a frame swap!

Rdit to add: My comments here are NOT the rant of some stone-headed "purist" - they're just assessments based on cost and common sense. Your conclusions may vary.
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I truly appreciate all the input here and this not an easy decision. I know it's cheaper to repair what's there now but I believe I would get more enjoyment out of the car if it were updated.Pros and cons,I also know that most old stuff from converted cars has little to no value to resell. So everything being said in this thread is being considered before the final commitment is made on this deal.

Comment

I'm helping a guy who's driving a resto-rodded '50 Stude truck. It's a nicely done daily driver that looks all original while having a 350/700R4 under the hood. In giving him info about Studebaker motors, he's gotten intriguied with the idea of putting a Stude V8 in place of the 350. I'm going to give him a core engine to work with. He commented to me the other day: "Man, wouldn't that surprize the folks at local cruise events and car shows - what with them expecting to see a 350 sitting there."

Does this Packard have power steering?
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                              I'm helping a guy who's driving a resto-rodded '50 Stude truck. It's a nicely done daily driver that looks all original while having a 350/700R4 under the hood. In giving him info about Studebaker motors, he's gotten intriguied with the idea of putting a Stude V8 in place of the 350. I'm going to give him a core engine to work with. He commented to me the other day: "Man, wouldn't that surprize the folks at local cruise events and car shows - what with them expecting to see a 350 sitting there."
                              If we had a non-Studebaker-person quote of the day, Bob; that one would qualify for an entire week. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X