Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

58 Packard restomod....Please don't shoot me..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of the159 made, there are 23 on the registry. I know of one in WI that is sitting that needs a frame and drivetrain. Is yours an L series motor? Personally I think you are making a huge mistake with this car due to its rarity but you own it, you do with it what you want. Personally I would keep it all original and modernize another wagon. Please advise on the engine number.

Comment

Daffy: If you decide to keep that treasure stock be aware that I have a 58 Packard four door parts car, and will be happy to supply you with whatever you need at 50% off of your next best price.

Just my way to say thanks for keeping it the way dad helped build it. This is a sincere offer. HP
      34 Dictator
      47 M5 Pickup
      48 Commander Convertible
      50 2R10 Pickup
      56 Packard Patrician
      63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

Comment

TO : Daffy427 : ------ I refer back to your Post # 22 .

One of the best ways to sumarise all of the thoughts that go into working

out how YOU want to refurbish YOUR car , is how you intend to use it into the future . For

example , if you intend to drive the car as your everyday vehicle and do some long trips ,

maybe , just maybe , you should consider an upgraded (modern) driveline package . For

everyone else who just uses their car once a week or on a cruise night or to a show , there

really is nothing wrong with restoring the existing driveline . I hear what you say about king

pins and the automatic so lets stop for a moment . Kingpins continued to be used on the

Avanti II 's so they can't be all bad ! With the Automatic , it is a reliable true three speed

which can easily be modified to start in first , if that's what you want . If not start in 'low'

and have fun shifting manually into 'drive' to hit second , then third will come automatically.

If you want to 'use' your '58 Packard Wagon' often and really stand out from the crowd of

2000's era aeromobiles , you MUST think about upgraded Brakes if you want to stay in traffic.

If you just use the vehicle a few times a month and not in heavy traffic , just make sure all

the linings are REAL good . Body and trim parts for your car are VERY hard to come by , so

even a minor traffic tangle could disable your 'body' no matter what mechanicals you have .

Let me finally say , we would not be having this conversation , if you were dealing with , say

a '62 Lark sedan . There's plenty of them . But '58 Packard Wagon's , the numbers say that

for the vehicle to have a 'life' after you , it needs to be kept real close to stock . Sure , put

mags and tyres on it you want , but keep all the original wheels , caps and tyres , you and

those who follow you will need them . Don't turn this RARE car into just a "street machine".

CRUISER

Comment

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
          Out of the159 made, there are 23 on the registry. I know of one in WI that is sitting that needs a frame and drivetrain. Is yours an L series motor? Personally I think you are making a huge mistake with this car due to its rarity but you own it, you do with it what you want. Personally I would keep it all original and modernize another wagon. Please advise on the engine number.
          I believe that it has already been determined that it is an LS engine, but without the supercharger.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I will match the same thought process that oldkystude mentioned above....except shipping willl have to be at cost and the rear emblem is not included. These cars can be reliable, comfortable excellent drivers as original. I have a ton of parts for this specific model and year. If you opt to stay original, I will help.

Comment

I've been hit and miss on the Forum of late,
              but I feel the need to weigh in on this now...

I am of the opinion that you really ought to think about doing as little as you can to this ride. As has already been said- a '58 Packard is what it is- and certainly not a very common ride. They really aren't that bad in everyday traffic if properly prepared. How do I know? Well- check my sigline- some of those rides are my DAILY DRIVERS. I have driven one (or more) of the cars listed for the last 20 some-odd years- and NOTHING ELSE. They can hold their own on the road.

If it were me and my car, here's what I would do...
              • Do the disc brake conversion, and add a dual master cylinder too.
                You'll loose the 14" wheels, but you'll get way better brakes.
              • Think about a conversion to a GM automatic overdrive (700R and/or others)
              • Add the not 'right' for the car, but 'right' for the motor (LS 289) supercharger

I think it'd make for quite the ride.
              These are just my thoughts.
              Your opinion may vary.
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I certainly appreciate the comments,all of them. I'm thinking I'll leave it stock for now and just drive it some before I commit to anything. I do like the idea of getting some good brakes and maybe a modern transmission for it though either way. I run a salvage yard here and have access to a lot of good stuff. Most of the cruise ins I would attend are within 20 miles and if I leave it stock for now I can always change it later if I decide to go that way.

Comment

Studebaker's V8 brakes (from 1954 thru 1966) are very good. Read that VERY good. If you're planning on road racing this wagon, then going to discs would be necessary. If you're worried about the occassional panic stop, what you've got will serve youi well - assuming it's in good shape of course. All the stuff to make them like new is readily available - lots of it from local auto parts stores, no less. Of course, it's your car - and money.
                  BTW, I owned one of these in the mid 70s. I loved it's outlandish styling. Sadly, even tho it's still around - it's now only good for parts.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                    I've been hit and miss on the Forum of late,
                    but I feel the need to weigh in on this now...

I am of the opinion that you really ought to think about doing as little as you can to this ride. As has already been said- a '58 Packard is what it is- and certainly not a very common ride. They really aren't that bad in everyday traffic if properly prepared. How do I know? Well- check my sigline- some of those rides are my DAILY DRIVERS. I have driven one (or more) of the cars listed for the last 20 some-odd years- and NOTHING ELSE. They can hold their own on the road.

If it were me and my car, here's what I would do...
                    • Do the disc brake conversion, and add a dual master cylinder too.
                      You'll loose the 14" wheels, but you'll get way better brakes.
                    • Think about a conversion to a GM automatic overdrive (700R and/or others)
                    • Add the not 'right' for the car, but 'right' for the motor (LS 289) supercharger

I think it'd make for quite the ride.
                    These are just my thoughts.
                    Your opinion may vary.
                    Add GM style TBI and electronic ignition along with 3 point front seatbelts.
                    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I'm curious ?
                      You run a salvage yard.
                      Do you see many vehicles that end up in your yard that are the remains of an overenthusiastic builder
                      realizing they would not or could not complete the build ?
                      I think the majority of responders here that are cautioning you to keep it stock have seen this or have done this.
                      There are a bunch of people on this site who have done every imaginable change/swap/modification to a car.
                      They aren't trying to shut you down, just giving an experienced caution out.
                      A frame swap isn't as easy as it looks on TV or in a 3 or 4 page magazine article.
                      If you have the ability/desire/knowledge/tools/space/time/money-oddles of money to carry it through, it would be a great car that you could enjoy and be proud of.
                      Remember...Everything is going to take 2 or 3 times more than you think to do and do it right.
                      If not then a relatively important car would end up off the road and parted out.
                      THAT WOULD BE SAD.
                      There are fewer and fewer of them to let that happen.
                      That is why I have kept my daily driver 55 President relatively stock, I enjoy it too much to risk going overboard and not have it on the road.
                      20,000 miles in the last 2 years. Yeah, a little more maintenance then a new car. That's all part of having an old car.
                      Dependable ? 8377 YES it's dependable ! I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country right now. 6 volt and all.
                      So please excuse me now cause I'm taking it to Paso Robles. About 90 miles from here. Couple good concerts coming up.
                      Just got back from there on Friday from seeing Zak Brown.
                      Weekend or 2 before that I had her in Modesto, about 280 miles from here. HOT ! BOY I'll tell you what ! It was hot up there.
                      Couple of weeks before that I had her in Anaheim at the Las Palmas Meet. 175 miles. Tom along with his youngest son and I had a blast.
                      I may change out the rear end to 3:31 or 3:07 gears, if the stock automatic trans ever gives out I wouldn't hesitate to throw in a modern automatic with overdrive.
                      Maintenance MAN maintenance. Enjoy the car. Their tough somaguns.
                      They were designed to drive, not to set on a shelf like Aunt Mables dioly collection.
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

That's "doily". You remember the things they put on the back of chairs.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                          Studebaker's V8 brakes (from 1954 thru 1966) are very good. Read that VERY good. If you're planning on road racing this wagon, then going to discs would be necessary. If you're worried about the occassional panic stop, what you've got will serve youi well - assuming it's in good shape of course. All the stuff to make them like new is readily available - lots of it from local auto parts stores, no less. Of course, it's your car - and money.
                          BTW, I owned one of these in the mid 70s. I loved it's outlandish styling. Sadly, even tho it's still around - it's now only good for parts.
                          I can vouch for this - and we regularly drive in SAN FRANCISCO!
                          As long as you keep them adjusted properly and flush the fluid every year or two, you'll be in good shape.
                          One mod I do recommend is a dual master cylinder.
                          Andy
                          62 GT

Comment

Working...
                          X