Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 58 Packard restomod....Please don't shoot me..

58 Packard restomod....Please don't shoot me..

I am seriously considering a modern chassis and drive train for my wagon. I was wondering if anyone has any input or interest in the leftover parts that will be generated or any clue on the value of a really good running LS engine?? It's not supercharged,just has the 4 barrell on it. Also available will be the 2 speed trans and rear axle as well as the chassis.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    It really is a three-speed transmission, Daffy, even though you may only feel one shift in Drive, from Second to Third. It only starts out in First if you floor it hard when the light turns green, kicking it down to First, or if you pull it down into Low.

If it is a Florida car with an unusually-good frame (not eaten by the salty air), that could have some value to folks building cars of that era.

Don't throw anything out. If the 289 runs, someobody in that quadrant of the country wants it...or even if it doesn't run, for that matter. BP

Speedster Member
    What kinda deal you looking to get for the engine and tranny? bomarkham@embarqmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by bomarkham View Post
    What kinda deal you looking to get for the engine and tranny? bomarkham@embarqmail.com
    I'm not sure. I was hoping to get some opinions on it before I put a price on it. I'm not gonna be too greedy about it though.

Silver Hawk Member
    To: Daffy427,-----For what it's worth, that LS engine was heavily 'freshened up' about 25 years ago.

President Member
    Daffy, I have has an LS1 motor and 4L60E trans in my 53 for 6+ years and I love it. Jon Stalnaker has a 5.3 in his 51 Sedan and in his 49 2R pick up and he is very happy. He can drive them anywhere, both are now air conditioned, and he gets great enjoyment from driving them. The 5.3 motors have plenty of power to meet most needs, 285-315 HP. They have been putting them in trucks and SUVs since 1999 and there are literally millions of them available. They will last 200,000+ miles so even if you find one with 100,000 miles it still has a lot of use left in it if it is in good condition. You can usually find one for $1000-1500 and it will come with a 60-90 day warranty. Or you can buy a crate engine from GM complete with harness for about $5k. Those come with a 3 year warranty. There is a pretty big aftermarket supporting engine swaps using these motors into just about any car you can imagine. You can maintain a stock appearance and have the drive-ability of a modern car if you chose. If you are going to go away from Studebaker power, I recommend the LS platform.

PS, Just read SN-60s post made while I was typing mine. Referring to a Stude/Packard 289 as an LS is something new to me. I thought you were asking about replacing your Stude motor with a modern LS motor.
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 07-12-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL
    '54 Conestoga Current Project aka STU KOOL

Conestoga Project Journal: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9729183...7623379200673/
    LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    It really is a three-speed transmission, Daffy, even though you may only feel one shift in Drive, from Second to Third. It only starts out in First if you floor it hard when the light turns green, kicking it down to First, or if you pull it down into Low.

If it is a Florida car with an unusually-good frame (not eaten by the salty air), that could have some value to folks building cars of that era.

Don't throw anything out. If the 289 runs, someobody in that quadrant of the country wants it...or even if it doesn't run, for that matter. [COLOR=black]BP[/COLO
    My frame isn't great,it has some rust thru in the back and the rear springs are garbage,the front end creaks and the transmission leaks. Those factors and the fact that I want AC,cruise and disc brakes are making me lean towards the newer stuff.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    PS, Just read SN-60s post made while I was typing mine. Referring to a Stude/Packard 289 as an LS is something new to me. I thought you were asking about replacing your Stude motor with a modern LS motor.
    LS refers to a supercharged Packard engine, as used in 1957 Packards and 1958 Packard Hawks. LS being the first two letters of the engine number, similar to RS and JTS. That engine block is not correct for the car that it is in.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    LS refers to a supercharged Packard engine, as used in 1957 Packards and 1958 Packard Hawks. LS being the first two letters of the engine number, similar to RS and JTS. That engine block is not correct for the car that it is in.
    Thanks Gary
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL
    '54 Conestoga Current Project aka STU KOOL

Conestoga Project Journal: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9729183...7623379200673/
    LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Golden Hawk Member
    Your car is one of 159 built with probably less than a dozen survivors. You'll certainly get under a lot of skin if you decide to rod it. It would be a lot easier to rebuild the mechanicals of what's currently there, that's for sure. AC (Vintage air makes a complete kit), disc brakes (Jim Turner makes a complete kit), and cruise control can be added to what you have, and a lot easier/cheaper than putting total modern guts under the body.

I'd rebuild the original suspension and add the after market AC and disc brakes. But that's just me.

If you do decide to rod it, at least do it well. That said, I know of two '55-56 two door Stude wagons that were mated up with 80's El Camino frames. Neither car has seen it past the mock up stage and I think one ended up being parted out. I can't think of any other cases where a newer chassis was put under a Stude sedan or wagon.
    Last edited by mbstude; 07-12-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    Matthew Burnette

I have a field of Studebakers with no future as original cars. Most were heavily parted out, but some are abandoned rod projects. It is amazing that you would think that a massive project like you are considering would be preferable to investing in a frame repair, new springs and a front end rebuild. After that an upgrade to Turner brakes and aftermarket cruise and air would give your car a great rebirth for a fraction of the headaches and a high probability of success.

As for the value of the old chassis and drivetrain, you will do well to get scrap value. The rodders have created a glut of those parts. I once bought them when they turned up locally but now I won't take them unless they are free and close. Just my 2 cents.
    34 Dictator
    47 M5 Pickup
    48 Commander Convertible
    50 2R10 Pickup
    56 Packard Patrician
    63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

Work with what you've got. Front end "creak" correction will cost you less than a frame swap!

Rdit to add: My comments here are NOT the rant of some stone-headed "purist" - they're just assessments based on cost and common sense. Your conclusions may vary.
    Our opinions (and the resultant conclusions) may vary - Deal with it.

I truly appreciate all the input here and this not an easy decision. I know it's cheaper to repair what's there now but I believe I would get more enjoyment out of the car if it were updated.Pros and cons,I also know that most old stuff from converted cars has little to no value to resell. So everything being said in this thread is being considered before the final commitment is made on this deal.

I'm helping a guy who's driving a resto-rodded '50 Stude truck. It's a nicely done daily driver that looks all original while having a 350/700R4 under the hood. In giving him info about Studebaker motors, he's gotten intriguied with the idea of putting a Stude V8 in place of the 350. I'm going to give him a core engine to work with. He commented to me the other day: "Man, wouldn't that surprize the folks at local cruise events and car shows - what with them expecting to see a 350 sitting there."

Does this Packard have power steering?

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscomacaw View Post
    I'm helping a guy who's driving a resto-rodded '50 Stude truck. It's a nicely done daily driver that looks all original while having a 350/700R4 under the hood. In giving him info about Studebaker motors, he's gotten intriguied with the idea of putting a Stude V8 in place of the 350. I'm going to give him a core engine to work with. He commented to me the other day: "Man, wouldn't that surprize the folks at local cruise events and car shows - what with them expecting to see a 350 sitting there."
    If we had a non-Studebaker-person quote of the day, Bob; that one would qualify for an entire week. BP

Golden Hawk Member
    Yep Daffy, I guess we will have to shoot you!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    Don't bank on selling your resto-modded for big bucks. Actually you will have money and aggravation in it trying to save bucks by using a more modern frame/suspension/engine and drive train swap <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This stuff is sometimes available at give-away price, I know. The car will probably be worth more in stock restored condition unless you are a Chip Foose type garage cause Boyd is no longer with us. Just my opinion. If you are a hands on type and know how to shop stude you can easily do a resto of your Packardbaker which is as stock allready miles ahead of or up there with a whole lotta 50's cars. Ask someone about a Packardbaker properly restored as stock with not even any upgrades. Ain't no crappo 50's mobile. I'll however be glad to have any scrap iron in the way of Stude parts. Nobody wan'ts that stuff but me. If you do a brand X frame swap make sure your frame/ chassis is proper sized to match you wheel openings/fenders. They look better this way. We don't wanta hafta shoot your car when youre done. Have you considered making a 4 wheel drive? cheers and post pictures. jimmijim
    Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

keep it stock or mod stock

I bought an old 59 Silver Hawk back in 2000 with the intention of building a modern powered rod out of it (much like your idea). As the years went by the car sat and I could never afford to build the modern frame to drop the Ls1 and trany into. So the car sat in storage for years and eventually I was forced to sell the Ls1 and trans as I realized I could never afford the time or money it costs to build a modern rod. Besides the cost of such a project, I grew tired of LS1 or older 350 powered rods. In fact now when I see such a car I am instantly turned off by it. I would honestly just keep your car stock or build a turbo powered 289 for it (like me) and be the center of attention at car shows. Although practical, the modern powered hot rods are boring in my opinion.

Silver Hawk Member
    To: Daffy427,----I go back a long way with that car, and for that reason and because it really is so darn rare, I hope You consider a 'stock' restoration. It may seem overwhelming now, but if You take Your time
    with it...You can do it. Lifting the body up off the frame after You pull the nose off may be a good move. Make the frame and suspension repairs first, then move to the body. Don't sweat any rare parts You may not
    have the money to buy right now. They'll more than likely still be around later. That Packard Hawk engine was supercharged once....and could be again! That would raise a few eyebrows at shows, and still be
    'all Studebaker' (er..Packard). Good luck, and once again YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

President Member
    zakly my sentimernts in less words but some may need it spelled out. Lead a horse to water but if he ain't thirsty or got blinders on he probably won't drink. cheers jimmijim
    Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Speedster Member
    Look , here's the thing , you are the custodian of the '58 Packard Wagon for the future .

It is your car , so you can do what you like with and to it . I just think that a historically

significant vehicle such as you have should be kept as close to 'stock' as you can do it.

And there are plenty of mechanical parts available , NOS and NORS , to enable this !

CRUISER

I do agree that chevy stuff has been done to death and the LS stuff is not nice to look at anyway but it functions very well. I guess in perfect world I could do the GM chassis with the Studebaker engine with an updated trans. Primitive automatics are a huge turn off for me as are king pin suspensions. If I only wanted to keep local with the car the old stuff isn't that bad I guess. What I don't want is something that I have to fix every time I want to drive it.

Why would king pins that last (in my personal experiences with my own Studebakers) over 350,000 trouble free miles, scare you? I guess you like C**vy crap that has to be replaced every 30,000 miles (again my personal actual world experiences with both Dodge and GM).
    Every few days there is a post about someone that has just bought their first Studebaker, and they think because nearly 50 years has passed since the last ones rolled off the assembly line, that they must replace it with something newer. My first reply is "Have you ever driven a good rebuilt Studebaker suspension"? I have never driven one that has been converted to something else, that was any better than stock. That is after many thousands of dollars were spent on them to "make it handle ". Don't be sacred by Studebaker engineering. It worked very well when new, and still does if it's in good shape.
    It will always be less expensive to renew stock than to convert to something else.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 07-14-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

Daffy427,
    My plan for my '59 Lark is very similar to what you have in mind, though mine will be more "mod" than "resto". If your car was a '59 Lark wagon, I don't think we'd even be having this discussion.

I understand 100% why you want to build your Packwagon in the way you're envisioning it.

I, too, want my car to be visually tied to the '50s, but have the reliability (some call it "boring") and comfort (some call it "boring") of a vehicle built in 2012.

I plan to use my Lark as my daily transportation for decades after I complete its renovation. I've done the 70-year-old technology thing already. It had its time and place, but I've moved on. There are a lot more competent, reliable, and efficient mechanical systems out there. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to enjoy them in my Lark.

And I also appreciate those out there who want to preserve and repair the technologies that their vehicles were born with. More power to them (metaphorically speaking)! That game just isn't for me. And, when finished, my Lark will afford me as many (if not more) opportunities to spread the gospel of Studebaker!
    ~Matt Connor
    '59 Lark 2-door

Idk, maybe its because Im a young man, but I think the whole point of owning an older car is to experience the joy of driving it and maintaining it. To me the nostalgia of an old car over shadows anything modern on the road today. They look cooler, sound cooler, and better build quality (these parts were meant to last and are repairable not just replaceable like modern parts.). I really dont understand how someone could think that by adding new parts that are designed to fail after a certain amount of miles is going to improve the overall reliability of of an older vehicle? Im just lucky GM warrants their products as I have had three that the motors went to junk after 30k. Anyway, I guess what Im trying to say is, if you want a modern car then buy one. Just leave the old rare ones alone so guys like me can enjoy them for what makes them so special.

I'd be thinking Jaguar XJ frame and suspensions.

President Member
    If you're going to do it, do it right and replace the entire engine, drivetrain and chassis and keep it as stock looking as possible. You can then sell the original chassis, engine and drivetrain as a rolling package.

Art Morrison in Fife , WA is an award-winning chassis fabricator and a while back he was working on a long wheelbase chassis prototype for Studebacker restomods. I think one of the company employees, or a wife or sister or something of one of the employees, has an old Stude and they were designing a chassis for it. Morrison's chassis are not cheap - about $13K or more, but you end up with a brand new engineered state of the art chassis, suspension and braking system that will be reinforced in all the right places so it doesn't flex or twist like the original. Add a crate motor, Dynaflo exhaust system, good rims and tires and you're halfway there without spending hundreds of hours cutting, sweating and fabricating on that half of the job. Shipping costs would be the same as it would cost to ship any car clear across the country from one corner to the other; but you'll be able to save your energy for the substantial task ahead of you that will be restoring that body and interior.
    Last edited by hausdok; 07-14-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

President Member
    Points well taken. Let;s move on. Fella is going to do what makes sense to him and initally was just fishing for a buyer for his unwanted stuff. I'll give ya 50 cent sir. jimmijim
    Last edited by jimmijim8; 07-14-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hausdok View Post
    If you're going to do it, do it right and replace the entire engine, drivetrain and chassis and keep it as stock looking as possible. You can then sell the original chassis, engine and drivetrain as a rolling package.

Art Morrison in Fife , WA is an award-winning chassis fabricator and a while back he was working on a long wheelbase chassis prototype for Studebacker restomods. I think one of the company employees, or a wife or sister or something of one of the employees, has an old Stude and they were designing a chassis for it. Morrison's chassis are not cheap - about $13K or more, but you end up with a brand new engineered state of the art chassis, suspension and braking system that will be reinforced in all the right places so it doesn't flex or twist like the original. Add a crate motor, Dynaflo exhaust system, good rims and tires and you're halfway there without spending hundreds of hours cutting, sweating and fabricating on that half of the job. Shipping costs would be the same as it would cost to ship any car clear across the country from one corner to the other; but you'll be able to save your energy for the substantial task ahead of you that will be restoring that body and interior.
    On this subject, forum member ralt12 has a Morrison chassis under his 53 and is a spectacular project. If this interests you just search ralt12.

Bob
    , ,

President Member
    Bob,

Found that. It's a great example for Daffy to get some ideas. http://nelson-motorsports.com/studebaker.htm
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

President Member
    Out of the159 made, there are 23 on the registry. I know of one in WI that is sitting that needs a frame and drivetrain. Is yours an L series motor? Personally I think you are making a huge mistake with this car due to its rarity but you own it, you do with it what you want. Personally I would keep it all original and modernize another wagon. Please advise on the engine number.

Daffy: If you decide to keep that treasure stock be aware that I have a 58 Packard four door parts car, and will be happy to supply you with whatever you need at 50% off of your next best price.

Just my way to say thanks for keeping it the way dad helped build it. This is a sincere offer. HP
    34 Dictator
    47 M5 Pickup
    48 Commander Convertible
    50 2R10 Pickup
    56 Packard Patrician
    63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

Speedster Member
    TO : Daffy427 : ------ I refer back to your Post # 22 .

One of the best ways to sumarise all of the thoughts that go into working

out how YOU want to refurbish YOUR car , is how you intend to use it into the future . For

example , if you intend to drive the car as your everyday vehicle and do some long trips ,

maybe , just maybe , you should consider an upgraded (modern) driveline package . For

everyone else who just uses their car once a week or on a cruise night or to a show , there

really is nothing wrong with restoring the existing driveline . I hear what you say about king

pins and the automatic so lets stop for a moment . Kingpins continued to be used on the

Avanti II 's so they can't be all bad ! With the Automatic , it is a reliable true three speed

which can easily be modified to start in first , if that's what you want . If not start in 'low'

and have fun shifting manually into 'drive' to hit second , then third will come automatically.

If you want to 'use' your '58 Packard Wagon' often and really stand out from the crowd of

2000's era aeromobiles , you MUST think about upgraded Brakes if you want to stay in traffic.

If you just use the vehicle a few times a month and not in heavy traffic , just make sure all

the linings are REAL good . Body and trim parts for your car are VERY hard to come by , so

even a minor traffic tangle could disable your 'body' no matter what mechanicals you have .

Let me finally say , we would not be having this conversation , if you were dealing with , say

a '62 Lark sedan . There's plenty of them . But '58 Packard Wagon's , the numbers say that

for the vehicle to have a 'life' after you , it needs to be kept real close to stock . Sure , put

mags and tyres on it you want , but keep all the original wheels , caps and tyres , you and

those who follow you will need them . Don't turn this RARE car into just a "street machine".

CRUISER

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
    Out of the159 made, there are 23 on the registry. I know of one in WI that is sitting that needs a frame and drivetrain. Is yours an L series motor? Personally I think you are making a huge mistake with this car due to its rarity but you own it, you do with it what you want. Personally I would keep it all original and modernize another wagon. Please advise on the engine number.
    I believe that it has already been determined that it is an LS engine, but without the supercharger.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    I will match the same thought process that oldkystude mentioned above....except shipping willl have to be at cost and the rear emblem is not included. These cars can be reliable, comfortable excellent drivers as original. I have a ton of parts for this specific model and year. If you opt to stay original, I will help.

NORTH NorthWest Washington State (Custer, WA)
    I've been hit and miss on the Forum of late,
    but I feel the need to weigh in on this now...

I am of the opinion that you really ought to think about doing as little as you can to this ride. As has already been said- a '58 Packard is what it is- and certainly not a very common ride. They really aren't that bad in everyday traffic if properly prepared. How do I know? Well- check my sigline- some of those rides are my DAILY DRIVERS. I have driven one (or more) of the cars listed for the last 20 some-odd years- and NOTHING ELSE. They can hold their own on the road.

If it were me and my car, here's what I would do...

• Do the disc brake conversion, and add a dual master cylinder too.
      You'll loose the 14" wheels, but you'll get way better brakes.
    • Think about a conversion to a GM automatic overdrive (700R and/or others)
    • Add the not 'right' for the car, but 'right' for the motor (LS 289) supercharger

I think it'd make for quite the ride.
    These are just my thoughts.
    Your opinion may vary.
    StudeDave '57
    President
    Whatcom County Chapter
    Studebaker Drivers Club

I certainly appreciate the comments,all of them. I'm thinking I'll leave it stock for now and just drive it some before I commit to anything. I do like the idea of getting some good brakes and maybe a modern transmission for it though either way. I run a salvage yard here and have access to a lot of good stuff. Most of the cruise ins I would attend are within 20 miles and if I leave it stock for now I can always change it later if I decide to go that way.

Studebaker's V8 brakes (from 1954 thru 1966) are very good. Read that VERY good. If you're planning on road racing this wagon, then going to discs would be necessary. If you're worried about the occassional panic stop, what you've got will serve youi well - assuming it's in good shape of course. All the stuff to make them like new is readily available - lots of it from local auto parts stores, no less. Of course, it's your car - and money.
    BTW, I owned one of these in the mid 70s. I loved it's outlandish styling. Sadly, even tho it's still around - it's now only good for parts.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeDave57 View Post
    I've been hit and miss on the Forum of late,
    but I feel the need to weigh in on this now...

I am of the opinion that you really ought to think about doing as little as you can to this ride. As has already been said- a '58 Packard is what it is- and certainly not a very common ride. They really aren't that bad in everyday traffic if properly prepared. How do I know? Well- check my sigline- some of those rides are my DAILY DRIVERS. I have driven one (or more) of the cars listed for the last 20 some-odd years- and NOTHING ELSE. They can hold their own on the road.

If it were me and my car, here's what I would do...

• Do the disc brake conversion, and add a dual master cylinder too.
      You'll loose the 14" wheels, but you'll get way better brakes.
    • Think about a conversion to a GM automatic overdrive (700R and/or others)
    • Add the not 'right' for the car, but 'right' for the motor (LS 289) supercharger

I think it'd make for quite the ride.
    These are just my thoughts.
    Your opinion may vary.
    Add GM style TBI and electronic ignition along with 3 point front seatbelts.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

President Member
    I'm curious ?
    You run a salvage yard.
    Do you see many vehicles that end up in your yard that are the remains of an overenthusiastic builder
    realizing they would not or could not complete the build ?
    I think the majority of responders here that are cautioning you to keep it stock have seen this or have done this.
    There are a bunch of people on this site who have done every imaginable change/swap/modification to a car.
    They aren't trying to shut you down, just giving an experienced caution out.
    A frame swap isn't as easy as it looks on TV or in a 3 or 4 page magazine article.
    If you have the ability/desire/knowledge/tools/space/time/money-oddles of money to carry it through, it would be a great car that you could enjoy and be proud of.
    Remember...Everything is going to take 2 or 3 times more than you think to do and do it right.
    If not then a relatively important car would end up off the road and parted out.
    THAT WOULD BE SAD.
    There are fewer and fewer of them to let that happen.
    That is why I have kept my daily driver 55 President relatively stock, I enjoy it too much to risk going overboard and not have it on the road.
    20,000 miles in the last 2 years. Yeah, a little more maintenance then a new car. That's all part of having an old car.
    Dependable ? 8377 YES it's dependable ! I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country right now. 6 volt and all.
    So please excuse me now cause I'm taking it to Paso Robles. About 90 miles from here. Couple good concerts coming up.
    Just got back from there on Friday from seeing Zak Brown.
    Weekend or 2 before that I had her in Modesto, about 280 miles from here. HOT ! BOY I'll tell you what ! It was hot up there.
    Couple of weeks before that I had her in Anaheim at the Las Palmas Meet. 175 miles. Tom along with his youngest son and I had a blast.
    I may change out the rear end to 3:31 or 3:07 gears, if the stock automatic trans ever gives out I wouldn't hesitate to throw in a modern automatic with overdrive.
    Maintenance MAN maintenance. Enjoy the car. Their tough somaguns.
    They were designed to drive, not to set on a shelf like Aunt Mables dioly collection.
    South Lompoc Studebaker