Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone out there own a tune up diagnois center?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone out there own a tune up diagnois center?

I am looking at a AC/GM ST-200 Diagnostic Tune Up Center. I was wondering if it would be worth having? Do any of you have one and of this model by chance?

Jim

Any machine I ever saw used with a multi-function switch always needed repairing. I always preferred Sun. Got one of them.
    1936 Dictator
    1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
    1953 Commander Regal HT
    1953 2R5 Pickup
    1947 M16 Truck
    1960 Lark VIII Convertible
    1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
    1962 Champ 7E5 no box
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Lark VI 4 dr
    1963 GT Hawk R2
    1964 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

I have one of these out in the shop.
      If you buy one, make sure it has the HEI add-on box.
      Lots of cords, lots of plugs.
      If you don't get the books and manuals for it, let me know. I have them (except the HEI add on book).

Good machine for checking the ignition circuits and ign switch.
      Setback timing light is crude, but works.
      The exhaust sniffer is good to help you get the a:fr right.
      Looking at Craigslist, they seem to be holding their value.
      I bought mine 30 years ago for $100, and they are pulling $200+ now
      Rarely use mine, but it is coming out to chase down an electrical clitch I have with the Yellow POS....
      HTIH
      Jeff

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC ST200 a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1674640
      Click image for larger version

Name:	AC ST200 b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,006 Bytes
ID:	1674641

Originally posted by 2r10jim View Post
      I am looking at a AC/GM ST-200 Diagnostic Tune Up Center. I was wondering if it would be worth having? Do any of you have one and of this model by chance?

Jim
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hi Fellers, My sun in law gave me one thanksgiving its an ST-200 AC diagnostic tune up center. But didn't get the book so I don't know how to use it , Is it powered by the cars battery ? Anyone know where I can get a copy of the owners manual? appreciate any help you guys can offer. Turk

Comment

Rick Harrison on "Pawn Stars " recently bought one off a seller for $250. That worked The concensus was he paid too much !

Comment

This came from Google. These guys might know something.

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Jim

Comment

Jim
                I sold this one on the forum. It was useful but got in the way too much.

JDP Maryland

Comment

Jim and Dale.....

I have scanned the AC-Delco ST200 Diagnostic Tune-Up Center manual as a single 24 page PDF file.
                  Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send it to you.
                  Jeff

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Back in 1971 I had an Allen PB 1081 diagnostic engine analyzer. The thing was huge and took up a lot of space. I learned pretty fast that it would take a lot of time to hook up and, though it had significant 'gee whiz' factor I could do everything it could do, minus the exhaust gas analysis, with a dwell/tach, timing light, multi-meter and vacuum guage.

When it comes right down to it, I think a vacuum guage in the right hands is a far more valuable diagnostic tool than most of the other stuff. I'm talking about when working on vintage cars, not these cyborgs mated to internal combustion engines we're driving today.
                    Last edited by hausdok; 11-26-2012, 10:26 AM.
                    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                    Kenmore, Washington
                    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                    '69 Pontiac Firebird
                    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Jeff, I have one of these AC GM diagnostic tune up center with the HEI and exhaust analyzer but do not have a manual. My father gave it to me shortly before he passed away, but unfortunately he did not have the manual. I hooked it up to my 67 Mustang and low and behold it still works as far as I can tell. I'm at a loss trying to figure out how to get it to change scales on some functions such as the tach, changing to a higher scale on the meter. If you could see your way to emailing me a copy of the manual, I have no problem paying you for it as I would love to be able to use the exhaust analyzer function as well.
                      Thanks, Chris
                      ckealey1@charter.net

Comment

I have a couple of PM's languishing about my offer.
                        I have the PDF file 'somewhere', but haven't found what hard drive I had it on.
                        It's not lost... I just can't find it
                        I will look again when I get back home.
                        Y'all are welcome to it, once I locate the file...
                        Jeff

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        Jeff, I have one of these AC GM diagnostic tune up center with the HEI and exhaust analyzer but do not have a manual. My father gave it to me shortly before he passed away, but unfortunately he did not have the manual. I hooked it up to my 67 Mustang and low and behold it still works as far as I can tell. I'm at a loss trying to figure out how to get it to change scales on some functions such as the tach, changing to a higher scale on the meter. If you could see your way to emailing me a copy of the manual, I have no problem paying you for it as I would love to be able to use the exhaust analyzer function as well.
                        Thanks, Chris
                        ckealey1@charter.net

Jeff

Comment

Hi
                          I Wonder if you still have those manuals? 🙂
                          Best regards
                          Joakim Karlsson

Comment

I built a Heathkit diagnostic scope years ago. While not as fancy as the Sun tune up center it does have a 12 inch CRT with a dwell/tach, cylinder balance, voltmeter etc. It does everything I need to do a good tune up and is a bunch smaller than the Sun unit. Bud

Comment

I've seen those old "SUN" engine analyzers that were larger than your kitchen stove! Dealers and independent garages had those things back in the '50's & 60's. I rarely ever saw them really being used, 'cept for hooking them up to impress customers and squeezing out a few more bucks on a job. We even had them in our Air Force Tech School. I thought the oscilloscope function was cool, but never really embraced the need. In fact, today, I would need the instruction book and associated charts to properly hook one up and interpret the patterns.

By the early 1970's, except for the oscilloscope, you could go to Sears, and buy an analyzer about the size of a bench top battery charger, for less than fifty bucks.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X