New Stude Owner 1941 Champion Coupe Hot Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Stude Owner 1941 Champion Coupe Hot Rod

After serving in the Marines for 31 years I finally got a Hot Rod to call my own. I plan to strip this baby down and build it the way I want it. Any help would be appreciated so if you are a Champion subject matter expert I could use your help. The Chassis is a 1985 Caprice but the body is all Stude. I need help figuring out the window cranks and other small issues with the body. If you know who had this car in the past other than John who I bought it from in MD please pass that info along as well. I look forward to meeting some of you guys in the future. I know this isnt your die hard Studebaker but it will represent our community well when I am done with it.

Welcome aboard, Greg. 'Plenty of Marines here with which to swap stories, 'though I'm not one of them.

We'd sure like to see pics of your Stude, and some details as to the window crank / mechanism issue. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome, Greg. Thanks for your service and I hope that you enjoy your Studebaker!
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

thanks Bob. I put 2 picture onto my profile but plenty more to come as I do my handy work on it. I hope they posted so you can see them.

Comment

Greg,

Who would have thought. I too recently retired from the Army after 28 years and didn't know what to do with myself. Home "6" said I was driving her nuts after just 60 days of terminal leave. Lucky for me that she bought me a 1941 Studebaker Champion 2 DR Custom Deluxe for Christmas to keep me out of her hair. It is a fun project to restore these old classics and extremely rewarding. Mine will be a complete off the frame restoration to original form. Best of luck with your project and we look forward to pictures as you progress.

Comment

Welcome aboard Marine; thanks for your service to our country.

From the looks of that second picture I'd call that thing done! Go drive it and scare women and small kids.
            TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Originally posted by TDITS View Post
              Welcome aboard Marine; thanks for your service to our country.

From the looks of that second picture I'd call that thing done! Go drive it and scare women and small kids.

Ditto!!!

do you have the original serial (vin) number? should be on the driver's side post. there also should be a body # on the engine side of the firewall (if the tag is still there after the mods). that would help with the history of your beauty!
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Welcome to Studebaker World! That is a good lookin' car and I know you will have fun with it. I am retired Air Force, proud to see another service member within our ranks! One easy solution to the window cranks is put electric motors in. But maybe you don't want any extra weight in that rocket.

Pat
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Welcome Greg. Your ride is a nice one. I think I have seen pictures of it someplace else. H.A.M.B. maybe? Glad to have you here with us. I can't wait for more pictures.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The Car was on the HAMB for sale but I found it on Craigslist. It does have a serial plate on the door post and I have the body plate. The body plate reads 11AF-3 on the first line and 2116 on the second line. I had to tear the car apart because there were 2 kinds of bolts on it. Loose and rusted fast. I decided to pull everything out and I am putting a Blown SBC and a Turbo 400 in it. When I bought it I think they were going for the Rat Rod look but it was a little to nice for that so I am taking it a notch up. Not a show car but something to have a lot of fun in. I call it Fonzie. Will post more picks this week. One last thing, its not a Champion. After learning more about Studes I discovered its a Commander. Thanks to all of you that serve this Country. We never stop just because we take off the uniform.
                    Last edited by gregthebus; 07-18-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Greg, the title of this thread is "1941 Champion Coupe Hot Rod" but the car in your profile is a Commander, and 11A-F3 is the body code for a Commander coupe in a fairly plain trim level.

A Champion is a considerably smaller car.

Nice rod, by the way!
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks Gord. When I started this thread I thought it was a Champ. I bought the car without knowing to much about Studes but after getting a little education I found out its a Commander. I can edit a post but not the title of the post. I have never seen a Commander and Champion side by side but thought they were very similar in size and shape. I am trying to educate myself on what I am quickly becoming very endeered to. My wife is saying she has been replaced

Comment

While the 41 Commander and Champion look similar they are not the same and no body panels interchange. The Commander is a larger car.
                          Originally posted by gregthebus View Post
                          Thanks Gord. When I started this thread I thought it was a Champ. I bought the car without knowing to much about Studes but after getting a little education I found out its a Commander. I can edit a post but not the title of the post. I have never seen a Commander and Champion side by side but thought they were very similar in size and shape. I am trying to educate myself on what I am quickly becoming very endeered to. My wife is saying she has been replaced
                          Frank van Doorn
                          Omaha, Ne.
                          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                          X