Thread: Orphan of the Day, 06-11, 1970 (Mercury) Cyclone Spoiler

Orphan of the Day, 06-11, 1970 (Mercury) Cyclone Spoiler

And just for you, BP, the Marti report!

Craig

Speedster Member nwi-region-rat's Avatar
    nice car, buddy of mine's older brother had a white one....only seen one since then....

I was going to get the 69 year version of this for my 1st car, but it was 300 and something dollars more than my Fairlane (Torino formal roof body) Cobra, so I ordered and got that instead. In 69 they had a 428, of course, and my Cobra beat every 429 I raced- -never did figure that one out. Sure love the looks of both, kinda wished I'd jumped for the Mercruiser instead, but I was thinking cheaper and lighter is better since I was racing anything that could roll in those days, Ha ! Thanks, great looking car.

Speedster Member
    Craig, you, and your camera and lens do an excellent job. These pics reproduce superbly on my 20" monitor. Desk top quality. Please keep up the good work.
    Dean

CLEM

Hey, I saw this car today and had a good look at it...did not realize that the 'fake looking' hood scoop is actually functional with a cobra-jet style air cleaner with the flap in the lid. Also this car is a 4spd....wonder how many Cyclones were made with 4spds, just naturally assumed that because it was a Merc that it probably had an auto trans. The car is as nice as it appears in the photos. Regards, Junior.

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    wonder how many Cyclones were made with 4spds,
    865...according to the blue box on the Marti Report which I included.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    865...according to the blue box on the Marti Report which I included.

Craig
    blue box?...all I see is a white box with a red X in it. Thanks for the info though. Junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

I didn't know they came without hidden headlights.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Speedster Member
    Back in the early nineties when we had our 1970 Torino Cobra, we were regularly parked near two 70' Spoilers (both orange) at local car shows and of course became acquainted with the owners. I recall them showing me that the gunsite grill projection assembly would rotate vertical when the hood was raised. Not automatically, but manually. Neither of the owners had any explanation of why it would do it or what the reason for it was. If any of you ever has the opportunity to check this out with another 70' Spoiler (71's are probably the same), maybe that owner has the answer?
    Dean

CLEM

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBOYLE View Post
    I didn't know they came without hidden headlights.
    GTs had them standard, base Cyclones and Spoilers had them optional.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    GTs had them standard, base Cyclones and Spoilers had them optional.
    I had a '70 GT. The tail lights were different to match the hidden or hidden headlights. If the car had hidden headlights, there were 3 pods for tail lenses on each side of a central grill, without the hide away option, only 2 pods on each side and no central grill. Spoilers came with extra gauges spread across the dash pad, each in individual pockets, straight Cyclones and GTs could option them. I always dreamed of a Spoiler with four speed, a/c, console and rear defrost, basically loaded to the gills in just this shade of blue. Sigh...

Silver Hawk Member
    Five year-old thread.

President Member
    Love this color. What's it called?

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
    Love this color. What's it called?
    Competition Blue.

Craig

Commander Member
    I went to Chatham Ontario earlier this summer to look at a red Cyclone GT. Was a very nice car, but out of my price range until I sold one of mine. By the time I did it was gone.

Golden Hawk Member
    Unlike most Studebaker production, this car was built nine days earlier than scheduled and wasn't even a sold unit.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem64 View Post
    Back in the early nineties when we had our 1970 Torino Cobra, we were regularly parked near two 70' Spoilers (both orange) at local car shows and of course became acquainted with the owners. I recall them showing me that the gunsite grill projection assembly would rotate vertical when the hood was raised. Not automatically, but manually. Neither of the owners had any explanation of why it would do it or what the reason for it was. If any of you ever has the opportunity to check this out with another 70' Spoiler (71's are probably the same), maybe that owner has the answer?
    When these were new, I remember the salesman at the local Mercury store showing me this "feature". I think that it had something to do with access to something.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Then there is the Kar Kraft Cyclone Spoiler II

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 11-23-2017 at 10:40 PM.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    When these were new, I remember the salesman at the local Mercury store showing me this "feature". I think that it had something to do with access to something.
    While I bought my Cyclone used in '80, my mother bought a '70 Montego brand new in Sept of '69. The grill was the same layout and basic dimensions but only slats on the Montego. Anyway, we took a road trip come spring break to visit my maternal grandfather. When we got to Yuba City, we drove over to meet him at the Ford dealer where he was a salesman. He showed us the interesting feature that the Mercurys had with the "Bunkie Beak". That grill, sticking out like that made some of the headlight aiming machines un-useable without pivoting the grill up and out of the way.

So, now you know the rest of the story.

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spokejr View Post
    I had a '70 GT. The tail lights were different to match the hidden or hidden headlights. If the car had hidden headlights, there were 3 pods for tail lenses on each side of a central grill, without the hide away option, only 2 pods on each side and no central grill. Spoilers came with extra gauges spread across the dash pad, each in individual pockets, straight Cyclones and GTs could option them. I always dreamed of a Spoiler with four speed, a/c, console and rear defrost, basically loaded to the gills in just this shade of blue. Sigh...
    I misspoke about something: hidden headlights were not available on the base Cyclone but they were optional on the Spoiler.

The taillights have nothing to do with the headlight configuration. Rather, the base Cyclone had two pairs of pods, the GT and Spoiler had three.

Craig is correct the color is Competition Blue, but that's Mercury's name –*Ford called it Grabber Blue.