X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the Day, 06-11, 1970 (Mercury) Cyclone Spoiler

And just for you, BP, the Marti report!

Craig

nice car, buddy of mine's older brother had a white one....only seen one since then....

Comment

I was going to get the 69 year version of this for my 1st car, but it was 300 and something dollars more than my Fairlane (Torino formal roof body) Cobra, so I ordered and got that instead. In 69 they had a 428, of course, and my Cobra beat every 429 I raced- -never did figure that one out. Sure love the looks of both, kinda wished I'd jumped for the Mercruiser instead, but I was thinking cheaper and lighter is better since I was racing anything that could roll in those days, Ha ! Thanks, great looking car.

Comment

Craig, you, and your camera and lens do an excellent job. These pics reproduce superbly on my 20" monitor. Desk top quality. Please keep up the good work.
        Dean

CLEM

Comment

Hey, I saw this car today and had a good look at it...did not realize that the 'fake looking' hood scoop is actually functional with a cobra-jet style air cleaner with the flap in the lid. Also this car is a 4spd....wonder how many Cyclones were made with 4spds, just naturally assumed that because it was a Merc that it probably had an auto trans. The car is as nice as it appears in the photos. Regards, Junior.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
            wonder how many Cyclones were made with 4spds,
            865...according to the blue box on the Marti Report which I included.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              865...according to the blue box on the Marti Report which I included.

Craig
              blue box?...all I see is a white box with a red X in it. Thanks for the info though. Junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I didn't know they came without hidden headlights.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Back in the early nineties when we had our 1970 Torino Cobra, we were regularly parked near two 70' Spoilers (both orange) at local car shows and of course became acquainted with the owners. I recall them showing me that the gunsite grill projection assembly would rotate vertical when the hood was raised. Not automatically, but manually. Neither of the owners had any explanation of why it would do it or what the reason for it was. If any of you ever has the opportunity to check this out with another 70' Spoiler (71's are probably the same), maybe that owner has the answer?
                  Dean

CLEM

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                    I didn't know they came without hidden headlights.
                    GTs had them standard, base Cyclones and Spoilers had them optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                      GTs had them standard, base Cyclones and Spoilers had them optional.
                      I had a '70 GT. The tail lights were different to match the hidden or hidden headlights. If the car had hidden headlights, there were 3 pods for tail lenses on each side of a central grill, without the hide away option, only 2 pods on each side and no central grill. Spoilers came with extra gauges spread across the dash pad, each in individual pockets, straight Cyclones and GTs could option them. I always dreamed of a Spoiler with four speed, a/c, console and rear defrost, basically loaded to the gills in just this shade of blue. Sigh...

Comment

Five year-old thread.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Love this color. What's it called?

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
                            Love this color. What's it called?
                            Competition Blue.

Craig

Comment

I went to Chatham Ontario earlier this summer to look at a red Cyclone GT. Was a very nice car, but out of my price range until I sold one of mine. By the time I did it was gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X