No announcement yet.

1961 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say, that tachometer doesn't look bad at all for a generic tach, Ross. A close match to find off the shelf. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To: R-David,-----I agree with Bob, that tach looks pretty close. Looks like You may have installed the Stude outer bezel on it?

Comment

Nope, thats how it came from Classic Instruments. I too was surprised with how well the bezel matches up with the stock bezels of the other gauges.
        sigpic
        1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

The dash looks good, but 20 psi oil pressure at 1000 RPM cold doesn't seem like much.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

To: R David,--- Well, I know of at least one sale Classic Instruments has made from this thread. A HR60SLF tach is now going into a Friend's '55 Speedster (12V conversion car)

Comment

If the numbering used on that tach were just a little larger, the odd passerby would never know it wasn't original. Even as-is, it looks very close. Maybe custom print a new face for that one and call it good.

Beautiful car though. I'd LOVE to have that in my driveway.
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                If the numbering used on that tach were just a little larger, the odd passerby would never know it wasn't original. Even as-is, it looks very close. Maybe custom print a new face for that one and call it good.

Beautiful car though. I'd LOVE to have that in my driveway.
                That may be a better option than getting the original refurbed. I will look into that.
                sigpic

Comment

Promised somebody I would post a couple of images of the trunk 'Studebaker' logo

sigpic

Comment

The first time I saw a hawk painted that color I thought it must be a custom. My idea of the perfect color for a 61.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

This is how I am spending my Saturday. My wife doesn't understand why I like to 'work' on the Studebaker so much. How could I ever explain how much of a sense of satisfaction it gives me. I spend all week in front of a computer at work. What could be better than being outside in the driveway listening to some classic rock and turning wrenches? It's like therapy really...
                      sigpic

Comment

It's a little hard to see, but the old water pump impellers were too close to the body, the new one on the right is 1/16 further out. Let's hope it makes a difference!
                        sigpic

Comment

Done! Dorothy is lubed, oil changed, new water pump, and a radiator flush. Now to my favorite part, putting away tools and cleaning up.

sigpic

Comment

To: R- David,---- I believe listening to You is therapy for all of Us!

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              The dash looks good, but 20 psi oil pressure at 1000 RPM cold doesn't seem like much.
                              It was actually warm already, I had a ground issue on my temp gauge that was making it very erratic (I think I fixed it now). As far as the oil pressure: I get 60 PSI when I first start the engine. Once it is warm I get 40 PSI at around 2,000 RPM and 20 PSI at idle.
                              Last edited by R_David; 06-18-2012, 05:06 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                                The first time I saw a hawk painted that color I thought it must be a custom. My idea of the perfect color for a 61.
                                Thanks Don, I must say when I first got the car the paint color was the only thing I didn't like. Now that I have had it for three years I love it! Planning on getting it repainted the same color in two-three years (or sooner if I win the Lotto).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X