1961 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    To: R- David,---- I believe listening to You is therapy for all of Us!
    You are too kind, thank you!
    sigpic
    1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Road test complete. Drove around for 45 minutes, temperature never went above halfway. I guess the new water pump made a huge difference!

sigpic

Comment

Before I replaced the water pump, the car would be relatively cool at idle, but on the highway at 65 mph it would heat up to around 210-220 (and sometimes hotter). With the new water pump it barely reached 180 degrees F (and I have a 170 degree thermostat) the whole time I was driving. Hopefully this info will help others. I guess the old water pump with improper clearance must have had some reduced flow at higher RPMs. Weird problem, my dad was betting that I had a cracked head. Thank god he was wrong!

I also reduced my antifreeze mixture from 50/50 to about 30/60, I guess that could have helped also. I read in the shop manual that using more water in the mixture would help cooling.
        Last edited by R_David; 06-17-2012, 11:37 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

The gauges look better now. Thanks for the explanation.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If your old water pump wasn't grumbling, making any weird noise or leaking.
            If it's not bad, you can use it by putting a gear puller on the impeller and pulling it out to the correct dimension.
            There is a good illustration and explanation on Bob Johnstones Tech Site that shows the dimension.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

To: R David,----I just looked over the Classic Instraments Tach My Friend ordered for His Speedster. Really is a nicely made unit....and I was startled by the difference in weight between it and the old
              factory SW tach. Will solve the 'dead tach' problem nicely. Was wondering if a vinyl overlay of the original SW tach dial can be created that could actually be applied over the new tach's dial (after needle
              is removed) making this new unit look even more authentic? What do You think? Take care

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                To: R David,----I just looked over the Classic Instraments Tach My Friend ordered for His Speedster. Really is a nicely made unit....and I was startled by the difference in weight between it and the old
                factory SW tach. Will solve the 'dead tach' problem nicely. Was wondering if a vinyl overlay of the original SW tach dial can be created that could actually be applied over the new tach's dial (after needle
                is removed) making this new unit look even more authentic? What do You think? Take care
                I know that Jim McCuan does that kind of work, you can send him a private message and he will give you a quote. I am going to have him do mine eventually, but I don't feel a sense of urgency since it looks so good the way it is.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                  If your old water pump wasn't grumbling, making any weird noise or leaking.
                  If it's not bad, you can use it by putting a gear puller on the impeller and pulling it out to the correct dimension.
                  There is a good illustration and explanation on Bob Johnstones Tech Site that shows the dimension.
                  Thanks for the tip, I think I am going to do that! I can keep it around as my emergency spare.
                  sigpic

Comment

Love the color. Nice looking Hawk.

Comment

R_David, I was just reading thru this complete thread and I saw your comment about not liking the color at first. How could you not like this color? It is awesome.

Comment

Ugh, not what I wanted to see this morning...
                        sigpic

Comment

Maybe just needs a repair. I read that you replaced the coolant about 2 years ago. I would test it for acidity just to be safe. Great looking car!
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

never seen a '61 with a hood ornament, is there a story behind the hood ornament?

Comment

Originally posted by Stude-Dude View Post
                              never seen a '61 with a hood ornament, is there a story behind the hood ornament?
                              Someone had to add it later to customize the car. It's a 1964 model year hood ornament, not yet having been made during the 1961 model year or shortly thereafter. (I had one on my 1955 Champion Regal Coupe in high school!) BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by R_David View Post
                                It's a little hard to see, but the old water pump impellers were too close to the body, the new one on the right is 1/16 further out. Let's hope it makes a difference!

Here is a link to the water pump issue

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...wpc1/wpc1.html
                                Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
                                X